• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I still have not decided what to get. I am more of a buy once and be done with it type of person, meaning I do not mind spending the extra money as long as it gives me the bang for the buck.

For a beginner, there are two simple choices, based on what kind of reloading/shooting you do most often. If you shoot a lot of pistol rounds, with relatively few rifle (bigger than 223) rounds, get a Lee Classic Turret. If you shoot mostly rifle rounds, with relatively few pistol rounds, get an RCBS RockChucker.

If, and ONLY if, you shoot several hundred to a thousand rounds of pistol ammo per month...get a Dillon 550. If you don't shoot that much, say 300-500 per month, save yourself some money and get a simpler press that will still meet your needs, easily. The Lee Classic Turret would be sufficient for that amount of shooting.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I have a friend with a Hornady LNL. He likes it but prefers my 550b to his LNL. My cousin had a Lee pro1000 and sold it to get a 550b. It might be a few extra $$ but you won't regret buying a lesser press later.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a lyman t mag 2. 6 turret holes, so it has the potential for 2 calibers per die head. I have 2 die heads.

The thing is a beast, but is not a progressive. I don't see myself having the time for more than say 100 rds at a time, so no need for a progressive...yet.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    As case preparation is a must with bottle necked rifle cartridges such as .223, I don't find a progressive press that much of an advantage. I think progressive presses really shine when loading straight-walled pistol cartridges.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    My son and I loaded with an Orange crusher, Lee progressive for handgun loads and three other single stage presses for several years. After quite a bit of research he purchased a complete progressive system from RCBS. He ended up looking at both Dillon and RCBS but felt the one he chose was a little faster to change over to different calibers (and slightly cheaper per caliber). They have the same warranty as Dillon and are of comparable cost and quality. He told me that if we only loaded a couple of calibers he probably would have went with Dillon. Off the top of my head I can count 16 calibers we reload.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It seems from reading that if you can afford it you should buy a Dillon 500 for reloading. My question is why? How does a Hornaday LNL or a RCBS 2000 compare?

I think I am looking for a progressive press but I am not sure which brand to get.

I think the most likely comparison is between the Dillion 550 or Dillon 650 and the Hornady LNL. The LNL fits in between the two Dillon models. All 3 are very high quality units. Dillon has been around a lot longer in the press market.

I've owned a Dillion 550b and currently own a LNL. Honestly I'd say 'flip a coin' between the two. Both have some advantages/disadvantages but really they are mainly user preferences.

I've also owned a bunch of RCBS reloading gear and generally like it. Their (better) scales, tumblers, dies are all excellent. I just don't think their progressive presses are as good as either of the other two brands. The products from REDDING are simply superb as are SINCLAIR reloading supplies. The one brand I generally stay away from is LEE. I generally think Lyman is a decent brand, a little better than Lee but SOME of their stuff is not up to the stuff from the others.

Just my OPINION.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I have been well served by an RCBS Rockchucker for many years. It's bulletproof. I've now got it, a Lyman turret press, and a Dillon Sqare Deal. I don't need another press but I've wanted a Hornady AP for several years now. I just can't seem tp part with the money. If I were starting now I would consider the Lyman turret press. Lots of people like Lee products but I'm a 30 yr. toolmaker and I really appreciate heavy castings and fine machining.

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    You said you were doing .223.
    Unless you're in a big hurry for some reason, I'd suggest the Lee Classic Turret.
    Don't get me wrong, I love my Dillon...

+1 for Lee Classic Turret Press :yesway:

I load about 200 rounds of .223 an hour at a comfortable pace on my Lee Classic Turret. I've seen the Dillon presses, and they seem super nice (as everyone before me has said) if you want to spend the money.

FYI- One Dillon product I recommend, and will never use another brand of, is their case lube. I had tried a couple different types of case lube before Dillon's, and had a lot of problems, and a stuck case. My press runs super smooth with Dillon's DCL.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I originally had a Lee back in 1990 I believe (i may be off a year or so)...never could get it to work right in the priming station...switched to a Dillon Square Deal in .45acp and never looked back...back then you could get completely set up with a Dillon Sqaure Deal in one caliber for $169...it was fantastic...now the Square Deal goes for the prices that the 550 used to go for...

I am hoping to get back to reloading maybe after Christmas

GONZO!!!

scsbronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    For the FIRST press I would get a single stage. I have a Redding Big Boss II. Its opening is big enough for any caliber. I load all of my rifle cases on that press.

My progressive is a Hornady Pro-Jector, (before the LNL). Its a good press BUT i ONLY load straight wall cases on it.

I would focus on the basics. Get the bet you can afford and take your time.

Reloading is not a game. All it takes is ONE bad round to change your life.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i just got a new loadmaster and its awesome i love the ingenious case feeder,priming system, and indexing. $269 SHIPPED from natchez with collator and FCD.

Top Bottom