• ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Without getting into a debate on press check/no press check, I have a question on mechanics. Compare these two guns: 4" PDP-F and M&P Compact. When I press check the M&P, it will not auto return to battery. The pressure from the cartridges (I am assuming) in the mag creates enough friction to prevent it. It easily returns to battery without the mag in. The PDP easily returns to battery even with a loaded mag. The reason I find this interesting is that the F has a much weaker recoil spring in it. I would think it would be the other way around. Why do some guns handle press checks without having to tap the slide back into battery while others do not?

1691499664302.png

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I'm not an S&W expert, but that doesn't look right. What's the recommended interval for recoil spring replacement in those?

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    That's not my m&p, just an example of where the slide will stop after a press check unless forced closed. It has <500 rounds on it and has done it since new.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Since new? Anyone else have this in their m&p? It could be normal, not enough enertia to get past the striker safety doing a press check. If it's just happening with your gun, contact s&w.

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Since new? Anyone else have this in their m&p? It could be normal, not enough enertia to get past the striker safety doing a press check. If it's just happening with your gun, contact s&w.
    Well I just checked my m&p 10mm and it does it as well so maybe it's just a thing.

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I learned here, that it needs a Dingus added to it?

All of my guns have a dingus. I wouldn't have it any other way. The guns run 100% with no issue so I'm sure it's just in the design. I just found it odd that guns that feel (to me) to have a very stiff recoil spring don't return to battery while one with what feels like a very weak spring does.

Press Check

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Without getting into a debate on press check/no press check, I have a question on mechanics. Compare these two guns: 4" PDP-F and M&P Compact. When I press check the M&P, it will not auto return to battery. The pressure from the cartridges (I am assuming) in the mag creates enough friction to prevent it. It easily returns to battery without the mag in. The PDP easily returns to battery even with a loaded mag. The reason I find this interesting is that the F has a much weaker recoil spring in it. I would think it would be the other way around. Why do some guns handle press checks without having to tap the slide back into battery while others do not?

View attachment 291698
    Because the guns aren’t designed around doing a press check. They’re designed to fire a round, slide goes to its furthest rearward position and returns to battery.

Not against press checks…

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    My Compact 1911 had started to get there, but the recoil spring on them wear out. Replaced it with a new Wilson Combat and its gtg

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Glocks (pictured) have a LCI, S&W has an opening in the hood of the barrel for a visual. I don't know about the PDP but I would assume there's some way to know without a press check.. I'm also not against press checks but I think the practice came about before there were other ways ( like the LCI) available to check the condition of the firearm.
    To answer your question, I would imagine pressure from a fully loaded mag as well as how smooth the face where the head of the round rides could cause the issue.

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Glocks (pictured) have a LCI, S&W has an opening in the hood of the barrel for a visual. I don't know about the PDP but I would assume there's some way to know without a press check.. I'm also not against press checks but I think the practice came about before there were other ways ( like the LCI) available to check the condition of the firearm.
    To answer your question, I would imagine pressure from a fully loaded mag as well as how smooth the face where the head of the round rides could cause the issue.

I'm not sure if the PDP has one or not. It probably does. I have other guns that have an LCI but there is just something satisfying and reassuring about doing a press check and actually seeing that bit of brass (or nickel).

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    All of my guns have a dingus. I wouldn't have it any other way. The guns run 100% with no issue so I'm sure it's just in the design. I just found it odd that guns that feel (to me) to have a very stiff recoil spring don't return to battery while one with what feels like a very weak spring does.

Press Check
    The ones I carry don't have a dingus. Press Check you ask?? Who cares, mine come from the factory with a unloaded/loaded indicator. Can't do a Press Check in the Dark.
    If ones pistol doesn't have an indicator I would suggest they buy better.

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The ones I carry don't have a dingus. Press Check you ask?? Who cares, mine come from the factory with a unloaded/loaded indicator. Can't do a Press Check in the Dark.
    If ones pistol doesn't have an indicator I would suggest they buy better.

Not all LCIs work by feel - some are by sight and some are more obvious (in sight or feel) than others. I don't think I have ever had the need to press check in the dark. More often than not, it's a quick check as it's going on the belt.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Not all LCIs work by feel - some are by sight and some are more obvious (in sight or feel) than others. I don't think I have ever had the need to press check in the dark. More often than not, it's a quick check as it's going on the belt.
    Mine do. Manufacturers add these features to make gun handling safer. Running a finger over it or a simple look and see, is much safer way to check to see if its loaded, than coon fingering a slide.
    Just say'in

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Because the guns aren’t designed around doing a press check. They’re designed to fire a round, slide goes to its furthest rearward position and returns to battery.

Not against press checks…

I don't think I'd own a gun that stuck out-of-battery if the slide were gently retracted.

This activates the disconnector and prevents the pistol from firing.

Things happen in fights, and I can easily imagine a pistol being pressed from the front prior to needing to be fired.

Last edited:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I don't think I'd own a gun that stuck out-of-battery if the slide were gently retracted.

The activates the disconnector and prevents the pistol from firing.

Things happen in fights, and I can easily imagine a pistol being pressed from the front prior to needing to be fired.
    I’m sure in an armed conflict someone could touch your gun enough to move it out of battery. A light, gentle push to the rear…..

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I’m sure in an armed conflict someone could touch your gun enough to move it out of battery. A light, gentle push to the rear…..

You misunderstand me. The pistol could get bumped, or maybe we're talking a contact-distance encounter where the assailant is on top of you.

It's a remote possibility, yes, but stranger things have happened. I'd just prefer that my pistol not be capable of sticking out-of-battery as a normal function.

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You misunderstand me. The pistol could get bumped, or maybe we're talking a contact-distance encounter where the assailant is on top of you.

It's a remote possibility, yes, but stranger things have happened. I'd just prefer that my pistol not be capable of sticking out-of-battery as a normal function.

I have seen videos and read scenarios where the muzzle was pressed against someone enough to push the slide OOB preventing it from firing. Maybe with that slight amount of movement it would return to battery? Not sure. Here is the M&P LCI on my guns (Type 1) - I much prefer the press check. The extractor may also stick out a little more but i don't think it is super obvious. I'll have to take another look.

1691590357801.png

Top Bottom