• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    OK, I have to admit I am getting old! My eyes are decent for most things, but I have noticed when I shoot, I have a harder time seeing the sights without seeing doubles and stuff like that.
    I have astigmatism in my right eye, and I have a real hard time seeing the rear sights without seeing 2 sets, and having to shoot between the 4 pieces. Low light makes it worse etc.
    Anyway, I am going to get my eyes checked and probably going to get glasses or contacts, and since I do not have either now, I wanted to get some opinions.

If you wear glasses, do you use safety glasses too? Contacts may be a pain for no more trouble than I have right now.

What do you suggest?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I never wear my glasses when I'm shooting.
    My vision is such that with my glasses on I can't focus on the front sight.
    Without the glasses I can see the front sight perfectly.
    Since the front sight is the primary focus point when shooting it works out for me to just wear shooting glasses. :)

Evermoore

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have a prescription pair of Wiley XL-1's. I had them made with transition lenses so I can wear them in or out when I shoot. They were not cheap ($300) but they are comfortable will take a harder hit then I can :ar15:

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I'm using the ESS Eye Pro (ICE series) with Rx inserts (& the inserts are bi-focal). The top part of these (as also my regular glasses) is set for computer distance, which is about the same as the front sight on pistols. I see the front sight well, with the rear and targets a little fuzzy. If you go with Rx safety glasses, check out the ESS or NYX brands. -- Greg/Grizhicks

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I have outfitted my rifle with a peep sight, and that should help. And I know the front is the most important, but when you see 2 rear sights (traditional sights) it is a little distracting.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    I did finely upgrade to Wiley X ANSI rated safety glasses w/ RX. Mine are sunglasses only. Love them! I also have an older pair or RecSpecs w/ trans. lens in them and like them too. They allow me to shoot in low light and still have more protection that reading glasses. That being said, I do wear my reading glasses at home on the range (steel targets) and feel safe, but nobody else shooting at the same time. Its like holsters, you will have to find what works for you.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Contacts aren't really a big pain. You get used to the routine pretty quick actually. The ability to wear whatever sunglasses/safety glasses you want is also a huge plus for them.

It took me over an hour to get my contacts in the first time.. now I can do it with my eyes shut! ...well, you know what I mean...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My prescription glasses are safety glasses. They have that marking etched in them to indicate them as approved safety lenses and frames.

Depending on what firearm I use, I will also put safety goggles over my glasses for added protection. Was once shooting my STG-58 and got too close to the rear sight. Nice divot in my goggles. Glad I had them over my regular glasses. I also have one pistol that likes to spit back at me, so I will wear my goggles over glasses with that guy.

Then there is my Ruger P95 that likes to bounce ejected shells off my forehead. Goggles mandatory.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Last summer, I invested in some ESS Ice w/ Rx insert.

They're OK. If I'd have known how A) far away the Rx insert makes them sit from my face, B) can't for the life of me get the Rx lenses to sit on a parallel plane to the other lenses or C) known how heavy the glasses + Rx were going to be or D) how top heavy / slippy offy they'd be on my nose... I might've gone with a different system.

-J-

jhaynes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I wear my regular glasses when I shoot. I lost the use of my right eye in an accident years ago. Since I just have the left eye now my eye doctor will only prescribe polycarbonate lenses to protect my left eye. This is the same stuff that safety glasses are made of. I don't know of any eye glasses manufacturer that doesn't offer polycarb lenses. I also have a pair of Willey X sunglasses in my prescription for shooting in bright sun and riding my motorcycle. Just be sure to get lenses that are large enough to give you good vision and protection.

Top Bottom