• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I don't make beer and I don't play with grapes. I create the elixir of the gods that my ancestors drank while they smashed and plundered northern Europe. MMMM...mead. I started this batch January 1st.
    It's always handy to have something worth trading in case the monetary system collapses.

attachment.php

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    The toughest time is the first year, but that's why you have multiple buckets and carboys. You start the mead and you then can brew some beer for fast turn around (or go get some New Day Meadery mead at the store). After the first year, you can start drinking the mead. It's not at perfection but very drinkable (and strong). You then start another batch of mead. I have so many bottles of mead, I can't drink it all (but I'll try). At 11%-12%, it has a very nice kick and smells heavenly. This batch will be mixed with some cherries in about 3 weeks to make a nice Cherry Mead melomel.

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    Mead maker hear as well. I do brew beer and some wine., but man do i love me some mead. Looks like we have the same kit. Gota love great fermentations.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    a year? last guy I knew who made mead did it in 6 months. Whats the difference? just different recipe? less alcohol?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    a year? last guy I knew who made mead did it in 6 months. Whats the difference? just different recipe? less alcohol?

The primary fermentation is over in a couple of weeks. I don't bottle until 6 months after racking a few times for clarity. The difference is taste. At a year, the mead taste is strong but after 2 years, it becomes smoother and amazing because it is a white wine. Red wine takes even longer.

P.S. Mead will top out on alcohol based on the type of yeast used (ale vs wine). I use champagne yeast that you find in the yellow packet.

P.P.S. I have one kit from Midwest Supplies, one from Great Fermentation, and another from military days. We brewed a lot while stationed in the UK.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    The primary fermentation is over in a couple of weeks. I don't bottle until 6 months after racking a few times for clarity. The difference is taste. At a year, the mead taste is strong but after 2 years, it becomes smoother and amazing because it is a white wine. Red wine takes even longer.

P.S. Mead will top out on alcohol based on the type of yeast used (ale vs wine). I use champagne yeast that you find in the yellow packet.

P.P.S. I have one kit from Midwest Supplies, one from Great Fermentation, and another from military days. We brewed a lot while stationed in the UK.

Very cool!! I might have to give this a try, but man waiting a year, OR 2?!?!?! ;)

Beer is much faster, maybe not easier, but faster!

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    Beer is much faster, but mead gets better with age. I just racked my 3rd try this last weekend, and i still have some from my first ageing and its just at 2 1/2years old. Im trying to hold off for 3 years on this one, but its hard man is it good.:40oz::40oz:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My wife made a batch a couple of years ago. It's just now getting to the point where it's not too hot to drink and it's smoothed out. It's really rough when it's fresh out of the carboy.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Mead and wine making is something I've always wanted to get into doing... just never had the time or patience ...

For anybody in the NE corner of the state that wants to make Raspberry wine I may be able to hook you up with a place to pick your own raspberry's to your hearts content (2 people could pick all day long and not run out). The owner of the plants would probably let you pick berries all day for a few bottles of the finished product...

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    For anyone wanting to try mead or winemaking, I use cheap vodka inside the airlock instead of water. In the minuscule chance that something airborne floats in, vodka will kill it. It also doesn't affect the taste or color of the mead if a small amount drips in the bucket.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Enlighten me. Are you keeping your own bees? If not, where are you getting prodigious amounts of honey?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    You have a few choices. There are several beekeepers in Indiana that provide honey to meadmakers. I met a couple of them at Connor Prairie during a creativity fair. I'm going to use them for my next batch.

The other options are Great Fermentations in Indianapolis or MidwestSupplies.com out of Minnesota.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    How about the 5# containers from Sams Club? Is that somehow inferior for mead making? Also, do you use anything like gelatin for a clarifying agent?

copper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Shelby County
    I have been making beer and hard cider for a while now. Have never tried to make mead.
    I think that might be next on my list..
    Anyone have any experience with Hunters Honey out by Martinsville? Priceing looks good..

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I have 15 gallons (3 carboys) of mead sitting behind me right now... I really need to get to bottling, it's been aging for a year and a half.... Outta be pretty tasty by now.

I've always had luck with the GFS honey, couldn't tell much of a flavor difference between that and the stuff my neighbor made using his own honey (he keeps bee's). Slightly different nuances, but the cinnamon/clove/orange spice flavors are what make it so tasty..

Top Bottom