• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ProZack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Any pro/cons experience or just thoughts on ladies being pregnant and going to the firing range to shoot a shotgun and a 22 rifle?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Lead - stay away! We asked a doctor when my daughter was pregnant and with proper ventilation it would probably be OK but my daughter did not want to risk it. I would not want to subject the fetus to the noise.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Yes, seriously. Especially at indoor ranges.

ABSOLUTELY...... call any pediatrician, or any doctor, for that matter, and ask about the noise/concussion to a fetus if mom is shooting, or even too close to a shooter, and the inhaled lead as well. I have a soon -to-be student who has pushed back her training for exactly those reasons. I told her I'd have to have a note from her doc to let her shoot while she's pregnant.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    We as a department have an outdoor range, I had a women officer that worked for our department who was pregnant, she asked me if that would be a problem I told her to ask her Dr and let me know what he thought, she came back with a note from her Dr stating that in NO circumstance should the fetus be exposed to lead or the noise, and she wanted to fire it was not her trying to get out of something.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Post script...

Noise
    Noise, especially very loud noise and chronic exposure toloud noise, is usually considered as detrimental during the pregnancy.In most European countries, health regulations forbid pregnant women to work in surroundings with a level over 80 dB continuous noise and rapid impulse noise changes of 40 dB, which is muchless than the noise of a firearm. In the United States, the Departmentof Labor limits for impulse (not continuous) noise is 140 dB (Dept.of Labor Bulletin #334, 1971) with additional regulations for ongoing noise. The sound levels of firearms are about 125-140 dB for rimfire rifles, 140-150dB forrimfire pistols, and 150-160 dB for centerfire rifles, pistols,and shotguns.

Intrauterine measurements in some studies showed that the fetus was not significantly protected against loud noises. One study,in human volunteers, found noise only diminished by 10 dB at 4000Hz.

Numerous studies demonstrate that exposure to noise during pregnancy,has been linked to such disorders as miscarriage, intrauterine growth retardation, premature delivery (less than 37 weeks), decreased birth weight, hearing loss in babies and children, altered immune response in the fetus and hypertension during pregnancy (a potentiallysevere disorder). Interestingly, one study showed that a combined exposure to noise and lead seemed to have an increased toxicity,causing heart lesions, which was not observed for either of those agents in isolation. The question again, is "how relevant are the studies to our very specific question?" The answer again, is "we just don't know." Is it something we want to chance?

One thing we do know is that fetal response to sounds begins atabout 16 weeks, and the ear is structurally complete by 24 weeks.(At 25 weeks, a baby will move in rhythm to an orchestra drum!)According to The American Academy of Pediatrics, "the hearing threshold (the intensity at which one perceives sound) is approximately40 dB at 27-29 weeks, and decreases to a nearly adult level of13.5 dB by 42 weeks of gestation." It would appear that even though the structures are all in place, the sense is not fully developed until birth. We also don't know at what point the fetusis most susceptible to noise damage of the ear, whether it's duringthe first trimester, second or third.

Interestingly, "the vestibular system, [the part of the ear]designed to register head and body motion, as well as the pull of gravity, begins developing at eight weeks." It is believed that "receptive hearing begins with the skin and skeletal framework, [and] is then amplified with vestibular and cochlear information as it becomes available. Hearing is clearly a major information channel operating 24 weeks before birth."

It is the carefully considered opinion of the authors that pregnant women should evaluate the risks involved in consultation with her doctor. Obviously, shooting in self-defense if needed would be recommended, but shooting on regular basis during pregnancy would just increase the risks to both mother and child. It is recommended that pregnant women avoid working on or near firing ranges where chronic noise and lead exposure would be an issue.Commercial shooting schools should carefully consider whether to allow pregnant women on their courses, or on the ranges, and with what safety measures in place. Gila Hayes of the FirearmsAcademy of Seattle does not allow pregnant women on the range,even as visitors.

Source...
    Shooting while pregnant

Being a father, and grandfather, I would NOT roll those dice......... but that's just me

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In all honesty, a little lead ingestion isn't a big deal to a normal, healthy adult. If that adult isn't trying to have children or is already pregnant.

To a developing baby, even small amounts of lead CAN be harmful.

Pb CAN also cause problem's with your swimmers (guys) and eggs (gals). Problems that'll exacerbate whenever the two shall meet.

In some semi-good news, though, the sense of hearing isn't really developed at all until about the 4th month. After that, though, it ought to be a big no-no. After all, all the amniotic fluid (mostly water) can enhance the felt pressure of the sound on the very delicate recently formed sense of hearing.

So if I were a pregnant chick, or knew of one who wanted to shoot, here's what I'd do:

Be sure she was less than 4 months along. Probably go 3 months to be on the safe side

Shoot out doors

Have someone else load the magazines

Wash hands OFTEN (after each string of shooting?) to minimize the chances for lead to be transmitted from the hands into the body (through eyes, nose, mouth)

Also, nothing going into the mouth while shooting. No gum, no chips, no sports bottles of water, nothing. Again, to minimize the chances of lead absorption.

Having said all of the above... I'm not a physician. Nor have I ever been one. Or played one on TV. But I HAVE stayed several nights at Holidays Inn Express.

-J-

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Boy do I feel dumb now.

Is that related to your hair color? JOKE.....;)

Education will most often cure ignorance. Stupid is entirely another matter.... and you're not hardly stupid, OR dumb.

All us guys were glad to help....... :cool:

Last edited:

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    You all crack me up! :laugh:

And I do find it horribly ironic that you guys are teaching ME about what's unsafe during pregnancy. :D (In my defense, I had never even touched a gun until my youngest was 14 years old.)

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Yes, SERIOUSLY... lead is not good. Also, sound is conducted 25 times better in liquid. Why risk damage to your little one's hearing? This issue has nothing to do with anyone's right to protect themselves. Going to the range as recreation is another matter. You'll just have to shoot twice as much after the birth to catch up!

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    These two were at Wilbur Wright a few years back..

pregnanatwilburwrightra.jpg

Top Bottom