This is the new style safety model- push button blocks hammer

1.jpg

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Ah, that answers the question. Very informative gentlemen. It seems that every firearm has variations that make certain years/models more or less desirable in general. I suppose everything that attracts passionate collectors does the same (cars, guitars, etc).

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Mine is an older, pre-safety model that has micro-groove rifling. I believe the newer ones have "Ballard" rifling with fewer and deeper grooves.
    As I understand it, micro-groove works best with jacketed bullets; Ballard works best with cast bullets.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    You guys are a veritable treasure grove of information. Here is what I know of the history:

1870 Marlin Founded
    1901 John Marlin died, sons took over
    1915 Marlin Rockwell (New York Syndicate bought Marlin)
    1917 Marlin Rockwell bought Hopkins & Allen Arms
    1924 Kenna Family bought Marlin
    1953 Micro-Groove introduced
    2000 Marlin bought H&R (New England Firearms/H&R)
    2007 Remington bought by Freedom Group (Cerberus Capital, think Chrysler)
    2008 (January) Sold to Remington by Kenna family
    2008 (end) Remington closed Gardner Mass plant
    2010 Remington closed New Haven plant. Production moved to Remington plants in Ilion NY and Mayfield KY

Feel free to add to or correct the timeline.
    Closing the New Haven plant might have introduced some problems. The old timers that had been making the rifles for their entire lives probably had a few tricks and techniques that weren't carried over. I have seen that happen before in other companies.

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    First, nice gun choice I love mine. And second to some the pre safety is more valueable but you have to find a person wanting to pay more for no safety.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you have no lever actions without a safety you will be just fine with a safety one. The ones with the safety are easier and safer to unload. If like myself you have older guns without the safety and have used them for years you are not used to pushing the button down and when you pull the trigger you get a nice little click and no bang. Took two deer season to get used to the safety on my new one.

Something about trained memory in your brain wil make you forget to push the button since you have not had to do so in 20 some years.

A small rubber washer is all that is needed to make a marlin safety into a marlin with no safety. I think it is a number 6 washer, like a rubber faucet washer. They also make saveral ways to disable the safety including a saddle ring but the washer is the cheapest.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I have had these rifles with both micro groove barrels and ballard rifling. While it is generally considered best not to shoot cast bullets with the micro groove rifling due to excessive fouling, both barrels shoot jacketed bullets just fine in my experience. While not tack drivers I have found both will shoot to 1.5-2 MOA with most 240 gr JHP loads. I did try some factory Hornaday XTP's in one with poor accuracy. But that was just one rifle, whose to say it would not shoot fine in another rifle.
    Also the triggers on these rifles are heavy and for about 90 bucks one can buy a "happy trigger" kit made by Wild West guns to get a really decent trigger pull. I have installed them in 3 different rifles and after doing the first one and learning how it goes, the rest were pretty easy. It really does make a big difference in the trigger pull.

Rifle Trigger Marlin 336 444 1894 1895 Blue

Top Bottom