• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Prairie dogging is why we own most of the guns we own and when we go to the range our main focus is to prepare for the next trip. I went to South Dakota 4 times in 2010 and 3 times last year.

Yeah, we both have EDC guns and a dedicated HD gun or two but prairie doggin' is job #1. I see few references to prairie dog shooting here and I'm wondering how many INGO p doggers there really are.
    I know there's a few of you out there.

I've even given some thought to organizing an INGO p dog trip. Just curious how many of us shoot the little buggers.

Where do you go? How often?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Prairie dogging is why we own most of the guns we own and when we go to the range our main focus is to prepare for the next trip. I went to South Dakota 4 times in 2010 and 3 times last year.

Yeah, we both have EDC guns and a dedicated HD gun or two but prairie doggin' is job #1. I see few references to prairie dog shooting here and I'm wondering how many INGO p doggers there really are.
    I know there's a few of you out there.

I've even given some thought to organizing an INGO p dog trip. Just curious how many of us shoot the little buggers.

Where do you go? How often?

Man, Id love to go, but am not sure about where to find them or how to go about it, such as knowing who to ask when up there. How do you do it? How much time should I prepare to spend? Could it be done in a 3 day trip?

I'm dying to try this!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive been wanting to do this for a while now. I have a friend who travels weekly for work, and gets out west quite often. He has actually gone prairie dog hunting with some of the people he meets for work. They will drive out to some spots during lunch, and pop some dogs!!

anyway, I would love to find out more info about where to go, procedures, etc.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    My father in law goes. I been trying to get into his group for a couple years now. Still have not made it out there but dying to go. Bought a Savage model 12 in .223 from him just to for them little dogs.

IMG_0225.jpg

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    One of my friends has uncles in Montana and Wyoming. We had a trip planned up there in 2007 for our senior trip to shoot prarie dogs, but 3 of them were on the baseball team and had to end up staying back for regionals, so the trip was cancelled. Im still PO'd about that.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I was thinking someone really had to poo...we call it prairie doggin, gopherin, turtle peeking its head out...now that's funny.

Sorry for the off topic, but thought it was humorous ;)

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    DRob, you a dogger... I loved doing that, but it's been a few years since I hit the Rosebud... Ruger 77VT, AR, and the 1022 are still in the safe though... Nothing like shootin up a town at anywhere from 100 yards out to 800 yards... We use to make a mad dash out there friday night and get to hunting by about 9AM... then off to the reservation for a shower and to clean guns.... back out by first light... What a hunt... Not sure if they still do it or not but I use to go out for the Varmint Hunters Jamboree in Pierre, South Dakota too, great group of hunters, lots of fun...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We're going to Montana, near Baker. Not sure if there's any dogs or not, never been there and I've got no reports. But my wife's family owns 320 acres and I hoping it's loaded with varmints.

EDIT: I've got a Rem700 in .204 Ruger for the job.

soupy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Elkhart Co.
    I'v been to South Dakota twice for praire dogs. First time around 1996, hired a guide, shot near Sturgis. Two years ago went near Faith, SD. Just went to the coffee shop and asked if anyone knew where we could shoot praire dogs. People were friendly, said check with so and so even looked up phone numbers for us. We shot the afternoon of the first day, all day the second and morning of the third, around 1500 rounds total for three of us. Took three 223's, two 220 swift's and a 6mm Rem. Both time were in August, It's hot, 90's, and windy. Not many shade trees in western SD. Had good time, we'll go again in a year or two.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am a Charter/Tour bus driver. Get 50 guys lined up for it and I will take you round trip for 100 bucks a person to South Dakota.

All your rifles, ammo, and even reloading equipment will easily fit in the belly of the luxury motorcoach. Watch movies all the way up there and back.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Have in laws in ND. The farmers welcome gopher shooters, but caution you not to shoot their cows.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Soupy, Them diners in the middle of no where are the best place to hook up with ranchers that want doggers to get rid of the pd's... Great people too...

Sloughfoot, now that sounds fun... but we would still need some 4 wheelers to get out in the fields with... Add alittle water to the ground in South Dakota and you need a 4 wheeler to get anywhere in it...

If you go out there, bring the GPS cause there aren't any trees near the Rose bud and all those hills look the same... Oh snake bite kit too.... Check under the vehicle when you get back from a days shootin for the rattlers enjoying your shade...

Last edited:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Oh ya planning your own trip or a group trip without the use of a guide is the way to go for Doggin... that was provin to me years ago, but you would still need some smaller 4 wheel drive vehicles to get out in the fields.. maybe something for rent out there close to the destination... Your idea of going in the Tour bus is a great idea, just need some more logistics for transportation once you or we get there...

Top Bottom