• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I find nothing fun about preparing for a worst case scenario. I intend to be fully prepared for whatever comes my way. There is no logic for preparing on a limited basis. Either you are fully prepared or you are not. There is no in between. I choose to go all the way.
    Do you prepare for HURRICANES in Indiana? I suggest the answer is NO. But to not do so would, by your definition, to be only prepared to a limited extent.

My suggestion is to prepare for the most likely eventualities first. As the likelihood gets lower I suggest the priority gets lower too. My house is on top of a 60 foot bluff, I have not planned for flooding and I do not intend to do so. On the other hand I have had my roof's eve's reinforced to handle excessive wind loads to reduce its chances of blowing off.

Again, my point is that we each need to assess the various different types of SHTF that could affect each of us from simple job loss to regional calamity.

We had this discussion a few months ago. YOU have what works for YOUR house and needs. That setup is not optimal for longer term situations, but works ok for short term problems for the size and layout of house YOU have. It is not, however, a very efficient use of resources and it places you at the mercy of a single point of failure (electricity).
    I don't really know exactly how you can make statements like that when I also have 3 heat producing fireplaces and the means to keep them burning. You say my set up is not optimal for longer periods but don't seem to know details of my FULL set up.

You mistakenly claim I have a single source of failure but clearly that is not true either.

Further you mistakenly claim my set up is short term only, but that is also obviously wrong.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I don't really know exactly how you can make statements like that

Because if you require a large generator to run 24 hours a day to keep your house from freezing as you've stated then you clearly do not have an optimal setup. You are right, I don't know your setup, but I do know the statements you've made, and I'm extremely experienced on this subject, so I can draw inferences. THAT is how I can make statements like that. If you don't want to hear it, or don't agree with it, that's your business. I've had people who've paid for my evaluation not make use of it to their detriment, it's no skin off my nose if someone on a website doesn't either.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Not a matter of not wanting to hear "it" from you, but clearly you don't have the insight you think you have into my set up.

In fact you are assuming far more from what I wrote than you should with regards to my 'needs' about running 24 hours a day. I never did say, but you seem to assume, that my house requires the furnace running constantly. Never said it and its not true. Never implied it either.

Go back and read far more carefully before being so critical.

However, those of us who choose to run 24 hours a day may choose to do so for many reasons, you don't see to grasp that but rather arrogantly choose to be critical and ignorant.

The fact that I don't disclose EVERY SINGLE DETAIL is no reason for you to ASSUME what does not exist, or ASSUME what you choose to ASSUME when there is no basis for fact behind your ASSUMPTIONS.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    However, those of us who choose to run 24 hours a day may choose to do so for many reasons, you don't see to grasp that but rather arrogantly choose to be critical and ignorant.

In our previous discussion you jumped my case when I suggested that not everyone needs to run a generator 24 hours a day. During that discussion I was careful to not criticize your system either directly or by inference, but you got rather defensive and trashed the suggestions I made for those who didn't have a larger generator or means to power them. In that thread I chose to not say anything further because it was your thread about your system. In this discussion you were judgemental about "those who chose gas", and I chose not to keep quiet because I think that attitude is counterproductive.

Now, we can let this further devolve into a did-too:did-not discussion, but I'm arrogantly going to let that aspect of it drop.

Last edited:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Do you prepare for HURRICANES in Indiana? I suggest the answer is NO. But to not do so would, by your definition, to be only prepared to a limited extent.

Kinda funny you should use a hurricane as an example. I have plywood cut and fitted for each window and door on my house. When we had the roof done a few years ago we went way above the norm with the shingles. I am not saying we specifically prepared for a hurricane, but we could likely survive better than most.

I fully believe hoards of wandering zombies to be a likely scenario in the case of an EMP. Some people don't subscribe to the EMP theory...I do.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Kinda funny you should use a hurricane as an example. ...

I fully believe hoards of wandering zombies to be a likely scenario in the case of an EMP. Some people don't subscribe to the EMP theory...I do.

I'm weak in defenses to protect my stuff from oversized zombie moles, my crawlspace is dirt and plastic and they will be in like flint before I have a chance.

I could concrete the crawlspace, but then how could I build and emergecy fallout shelter if things get crazy with the Chinese and Russians?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Kinda funny you should use a hurricane as an example. I have plywood cut and fitted for each window and door on my house. When we had the roof done a few years ago we went way above the norm with the shingles. I am not saying we specifically prepared for a hurricane, but we could likely survive better than most.

EMP... :runaway: EMP... :runaway:

My line of thinking is that "preping" is much like insurance. You can buy basic car insurance which just covers the damage of the other vehicle or you can do all out and get the most expensive plan that covers everything and everyone. You pay for what you want and what you "feel" is best for you.

The same way with "preping". In the case of the OP he will sleep better at night covering every possible SHTF from a 1 day power outage to TEOTWAWKI. IS that right or wrong? :dunno: But at least for him it will help him sleep better at night and thus that is all that matters for him.

Now if you look at others they (others) can sleep just OK knowing they are only "preping" for zyx and skipping on abc. Again not right or worng but they have analyzed the risk for themselves and choose "z" amount of risk.

In terms of the OP's neighbors I suggest you likes others have said to tell them its not that hard to have a "backup power supply system" and show them or give them various ideas. If they choose not to do it (my neighbor on my right choose not to get a gen; while my neighbor on the left got a small one for his fridge) well that is their problem them. You tried to offer them help (via knowledge) they choose not to take it they can worry about themselves when mother nature comes.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    what if we just know our neighbors are wasting the air they already breath? can i just go ahead and suggest that they place a sterile walmart bag over their heads and suffocate to death (under sterile conditions of coarse)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    What's a good Genset system cost??

Depends on how big a system you want and how capable you are at DIY, but for an average home anywhere from $2k-10k installed depending on a lot of factors.

That's assuming you are talking about a system that autostarts in the event of a power failure and is fixed in place, not just regular generator hooked into the house circuitry, that can be cheaper.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hum...
    :hijack: to a certain degree.
    1.6 gallons / hr of use is what the portable Guardian generators need to run. (Info obtained in the manual found online of these types of generators).

So if you need to run it 24/7 (winter time scenario) for 3 days which is what a "typical emergency (ie. power outage) may result in that means you need 115.2 gallons of fuel on hand. Or 2 55-gallon drums which at say $3.50 per gallon is $402.50 for the gas. Gonna need some fuel stabilizer as well plus a fuel pump (manual) and some smaller containers to transfer the fuel.

Not sure a portable gasoline generator is now the way to go for this type of event. :dunno: Seems one would be better off with one of those permanent natural gas type especially for a more populated area (not rural).

Not sure anymore. What say you?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Hum...
    :hijack: to a certain degree.
    1.6 gallons / hr of use is what the portable Guardian generators need to run. (Info obtained in the manual found online of these types of generators).

So if you need to run it 24/7 (winter time scenario) for 3 days which is what a "typical emergency (ie. power outage) may result in that means you need 115.2 gallons of fuel on hand. Or 2 55-gallon drums which at say $3.50 per gallon is $402.50 for the gas. Gonna need some fuel stabilizer as well plus a fuel pump (manual) and some smaller containers to transfer the fuel.

Not sure a portable gasoline generator is now the way to go for this type of event. :dunno: Seems one would be better off with one of those permanent natural gas type especially for a more populated area (not rural).

Not sure anymore. What say you?

I say that if you're going to want to live as if nothing happened when the power goes out for a few days then a genset with autostart tied into either the home propane tank or the NG line is the way to go. Diesel is the second choice.

If you are either less financially well off, or you are more interested in having equipment that will give you long term capabilities (weeks and months) and flexibility then a portable diesel or gasoline generator may be a better choice, as is learning to live comfortably with less power.

Either way, running a generator 24/7 is extremely wasteful of fuel, and there are much better options if you are willing to spend the money.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Another quick threadjack:

Any SHTF plan had better include thoughts of what happens after SHTF. Katrina was 5 years ago and just now criminal trials are beginning on cases which, if accusations hold true, some people decided SHTF means "go ape".

SHTF is a time of increased self care but is still within some limitations both legal and moral. What you do will likely be judged by the first, and in the end will certainly be judged by the second.

Personally, I would talk to my neighbors and help them with quotes and plans to get them up to speed for two reasons: anyone that is up to speed is less likely to need help, and anyone less likely to need help is likely to be in an overwatch position.

Again, Argentina taught us that farmers and remote living folks need numbers when the rows of trucks roll in ready to take some gunfire in order to take over your farm and bring hell on earth with them. You need friends, fellow riflemen, and allies far more than you need a single generator and a stockpile of food.

You have time, use it wisely.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Well said, Techres. All this talk about causing harm to your neighbors is disturbing. My neighbors are welcome to share my heat and light and to take their turn on guard duty.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    That is a great point. When we chose the circuit for the garage fridge and freezer it just so happened that he outside security lights were on that circuit also. I realized last night that I am going to have to give that some thought. They can be turned off in the garage, but I may have to rig up something more convenient.

IR lamps and blackout curtains...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Argentina taught us that farmers and remote living folks need numbers when the rows of trucks roll in ready to take some gunfire in order to take over your farm and bring hell on earth with them. . .
    And this is one of the reasons why I chose to live on a dead end road that starts at the end of another dead end road. My road is also privately owned, meaning the neighbors and I can close it and prevent access. To the west is open farm land and a river that form barriers. To the south and the east are heavy woods with thorn trees and thorn bushes, very difficult to pass through. The road enters from the north, its a single narrow road.

There are many things to consider. Being isolated is not necessarily a great thing.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I say that if you're going to want to live as if nothing happened when the power goes out for a few days then a genset with autostart tied into either the home propane tank or the NG line is the way to go. Diesel is the second choice.

If you are either less financially well off, or you are more interested in having equipment that will give you long term capabilities (weeks and months) and flexibility then a portable diesel or gasoline generator may be a better choice, as is learning to live comfortably with less power.

Either way, running a generator 24/7 is extremely wasteful of fuel, and there are much better options if you are willing to spend the money.

My thoughts exactly. A smaller Generator (rather than a whole house) to use in Emergency to provide limited power to the necessities, refrigerator, charge batteries, well pump, etc; not to provide unlimited power to every circuit. Utility Expense (LP) is expensive and must be refilled. In a true emergency lasting over an extended time I would be unable to afford unlimited power and would rather conserve the limited tank LP for heat.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    During the construction of our retirement home I had an automatic on propane generator installed. I runs selected circuits in the house and is connected to a 1K propane tank. Winter failure lets me run the whole house wood heater, refridgerator/freezers, and the walkout basement sub panel. Summer failure swaps out the wood heater for a window AC in the basement. Us old folks will be able to ride out problems in relative comfort for some time. I installed the generator in my old house with a manual disconnect and manual startup but wanted something easier.:)

Top Bottom