• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I have about 15 pounds of powder left from the last time I loaded in about 1998. It is in the factory plastic, metal and paper canisters. It has been stored in a cool and dry basement.

Is it still safe to use?

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    What does it smell like? It should be safe, but I've heard that when powder breaks down it can have an acidic smell. A friend had some very old powder that smelled strongly of vinegar when we opened it, so we disposed of it.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The odds are very good that the powder is still 100% usable. If it has a uniform appearance (not clumping together) and a mild, slightly sweet smell, then you should be good to go. At today's prices, that would be a LOT of powder to toss on the garden so give it a good inspection and start loading up some cases! :)

P.S. Beware those writing in purple font. (sarcasm!) :D

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    does it fit? I think you know better than to ask the question....But then, we don't really know each other.:D

You are correct, you don't know me. So to suggest I posted a troll post, about reloading of all things, is a little insulting.

Especially since I am a board advertiser, 2 time NFA day vendor and have almost a 3k post count.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    As long as the humidity hasn't gotten to it, it should still be good. Besides the smell test the best way you can test it out is load up a couple of test reloads and see how it performs.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Not sure yet, I am going to try and decide on two or three bullets first, then a powder and then work loads up and see if my rifle likes any of them out to 250 yards.

Right now I am liking the .358 225gr SGK bullet.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Understand getting out it for a while, life has that way, my powder measure rusted a little on the surface of the drum and now does not seem as accurate as I remember.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    got a can "tin" of 231 that has a little rust on the bottom of the can....loaded 100rd and then 101 to 105 went poof and squibed....still smells fine and looks fine now it's bein' used for fertilizer.....what i mean is you don't know till you try it...

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Not sure yet, I am going to try and decide on two or three bullets first, then a powder and then work loads up and see if my rifle likes any of them out to 250 yards.

Right now I am liking the .358 225gr SGK bullet.

Powder manufacturers sometimes reformulate powders slightly over time, so try to find and use data published around the time the powder was manufactured.

As long as the powder is not a compound powder such as Alliant's Unique, that is built around a nitroglycerin base, and is not sweating, or seperating, it should be fine to use.

Top Bottom