• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I am getting ready to load 9mm 147gr bullets to run through my suppressor but I cant find the powder I want V V N320

Of the powders I do have on hand does anybody have any insight as to which ones would be the quietest?

Here is what I have:

Titgroup
    AA #7
    AA #9
    AA #5
    Winchester 231
    Solo 1000
    Power pistol

Thoughts?

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Who's bullet are you using? That, and the COL are going to really come into play for useable case volume with 147's. For instance, say you used a Hornady 147 FMJ-RN, those are 0.675 / 17.15 mm in length so that leaves you with 6.4 grains of case capacity seated to 1.145 ~ That pretty much rules out #9, can't get enough in the case.

Titegroup will give you the closest performance to VV N320 on your list of powders for a 147 load with plenty of room to spare, followed by Solo 1000 both being right at .1 and .2 lower Max charge weight assuming all other things being equal in the load.

Last edited:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a couple different brand bullets right now which I have loaded in the past. I have set OAL to my tightest chamber gun which is a Kimber, just so I know they will function in everything then work up powder charge from there. I shot some solo 1000 loads with 3.6 gr charge which ran fine in my ar and glock.
    Sound volume was not bad. I can live with that if I have to but I am going to load up some tightgroup next and give them a try but I am not a big fan of tightgroup in the summer due to the heat it generates.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Allen, look no further than Tightgroup, if you have it in good quantity.

That said, with the pressure of a loaded subsonic round is, noise created by a certain powder is virtually impossible to distinguish to the ear.

147gr FMJ
    COL=1.69
    Tightgroup----3.2gr--3.6gr (Find what your gun likes best.) Even the 3.6gr load shows a sub 930 fps velocity.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Allen, look no further than Tightgroup, if you have it in good quantity.

That said, with the pressure of a loaded subsonic round is, noise created by a certain powder is virtually impossible to distinguish to the ear.

147gr FMJ
    COL=1.69
    Tightgroup----3.2gr--3.6gr (Find what your gun likes best.) Even the 3.6gr load shows a sub 930 fps velocity.

just so happens I loaded some sample rounds with 3.5 Titegroup last night. gonna try them out today.

I have to disagree though that its hard to tell from some powders. be fore I had the suppressor my 16" 9mm AR liked longshot loads best for accuracy but even though those loads are subsonic they are significantly louder than the solo 1000 loads I was fooling with.
    Regardless unless you can buy VV powders (which I can't find) Titegroup does seem to top the list from what I read.

Thanks

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Ok did a comparison of 3.8 gr solo vs 3.5 grs of titegroup. Took my wife along just for a second opinion. Solo was very noticeably quieter and accuracy was good. I will use this load until I can find Some VV powder to play with.

I will have to chrono it next time

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I've done pretty extensive experimenting making subsonics with W231, Titegroup and VV N340. I like to run the bullets to about 900 to 950fps. I've found over the last year or two that 3.4gr of TG and 3.6gr of W231 sound almost identical and get about the same velocity. But they are not as quiet as VV N340. VV N340 is but definitely more quiet and burns a lot cleaner. It costs a lot more but totally worth it to me.

On another note, I've read in many forms that TG burns much hotter than those other two and in my experience, it does heat the can up much, much faster. VV N330 is supposed to burn the best and from what I've read, was specifically designed for suppressors and to run cooler. But that powder is kind of like a unicorn. It was really hard to find in normal times and pretty much fell off the earth during the current shortage.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I've done pretty extensive experimenting making subsonics with W231, Titegroup and VV N340. I like to run the bullets to about 900 to 950fps. I've found over the last year or two that 3.4gr of TG and 3.6gr of W231 sound almost identical and get about the same velocity. But they are not as quiet as VV N340. VV N340 is but definitely more quiet and burns a lot cleaner. It costs a lot more but totally worth it to me.

On another note, I've read in many forms that TG burns much hotter than those other two and in my experience, it does heat the can up much, much faster. VV N330 is supposed to burn the best and from what I've read, was specifically designed for suppressors and to run cooler. But that powder is kind of like a unicorn. It was really hard to find in normal times and pretty much fell off the earth during the current shortage.

If I could find the VV powder I would buy some. I am just glad i have quite a bit of the Solo 1000 it is a lot quieter than TG So Imagine it would be ranking close to the VV powder

Top Bottom