• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RdKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Batesville
    I'm new to handgun / rifle reloading and am looking for input on which powder scale to go with.
    I currently have an inexpensive beam scale that has seemed to work o.k. when I was using to check loads for my shotgun loading.
    Do I NEED a digital scale for better accuracy? How much should I be spending? I don't need the dispenser function, just want to check the loads that my Dillon is putting out for consistency / accuracy.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    A good beam scale should be fine RCBS, Lyman 505 scales are good ones based on the old ohaus 505 scale.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    +1 for the RCBS/ohaus bean scales.

Reasonably priced, accurate, long lasting, no warm up no batteries. I bought a couple of electronic scales that were ok, but only stayed working for a couple years. Each time, I went back to my RCBS balance.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    I like digital

I never owned a beam scale.
    But I bought a Lyman LE1000 electronic scale that works great.
    It will work with either a 9V battery or the supplied power cord.
    It has a 1000 grain/65 gram capacity plus or minus 0.1 grain.
    At under $50 used at a gun show it was a good deal and I figured that it would be less hassle than using a beam scale.

Here's info. about it:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/630725/lyman-le-1000-electronic-scale-110-volt

Here's the similar Lyman LE1000 XP scale selling on eBay with bidding at $24.50 with 3 days left:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-1000-XP-Digital-Electronic-Reloading-Scale-110v-/151032428503?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232a3bf7d7

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    one really good suggestion from A&A Optics was to use a webcam to point at your scale. This way when you read the scale it'll be from the exact same perspective every single time. You'll get more consistent loads. And you can zoom in and read it easier.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've got a pact electronic scale which is great. I have to say I fell out of love with balance scales long ago.

They are tedious and slow when compared to the electronic scale and if your sorting brass or bullets the electronic scale shines.

hit the tare button and you know how much difference there is in you measured bullet/case vs your target. Much much faster. Precision seems to be on par, I did some testing with my old balance scale before I made the switch. Not sorry I did

heeringa

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I just ordered a RCBS Rangemaster 750 electronic scale. Runs on a 9 volt battery or you can plug it into the wall. Accurate to 1/10 of a grain. I'll just be using it to check on the consistency of the reloader, and since I'm just doing shotshell reloading, it's probably more than I really need. I just don't want the hassle of zeroing a beam scale when I can just press a button and it's ready.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have been using a Pacific beam scale for over 20 years now and have never felt the need to change to anything else. It checks perfect everytime and has never needed calibration.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Beam scales are painfully slow. If you'd rather load than shoot, they are right up your alley.

That said, a cheap beam scale beats a cheap digital every day. Most of the branded digitals are junk, look for something intended for lab use. Acculab VIC-123s and 303s are what I use, but I have no idea if they are still made. Anything lab quality scale with 0.02 grain accuracy will measure individual powder granules.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I still use the Lee beam scale that I got 11 years ago. I'd like to have a nice digital, but I'm cheeeap and haven't sprung for one yet.

I use a powder dispenser to actually charge my cartridges, so I only have to weigh at the beginning and then I usually verify ever 50 rounds just to be sure that its still on.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Been using my dad's Ohaus beam scale for 25+ years...it was 20yrs old when I got it. Show me a 45 year old electronic scale ....that I can afford. Go high tech if that floats your boat but get a beam scale for when it takes a crap ...

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    In the early days when I was learning, I had gunk build up on my scale fulcrum and was giving me bad data and thats what turned me against them

but a q tip fixed it

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Electronics are nice, but a beam is needed to check accuracy. Electronics can also be affected by cell phones, microwave ovens or any stray electrical impulse.:dunno:

My years of doing EMC testing at military voltage levels tell me that interference is slightly over blamed for malfunctions.

I would not agree

My pact came with check weights, and you can always check it with a known weight

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    My years of doing EMC testing at military voltage levels tell me that interference is slightly over blamed for malfunctions.

I would not agree

My pact came with check weights, and you can always check it with a known weight

I would agree that you have no such problems. ;)

Top Bottom