• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    ok guys im starting my 9mm loads next week, goin through all my info i noticed a something i have question about: I have a taurus pt92 afs i am using titegroup powder, and the gun manual says i should use 124gr projectile. i have berrys 9mm copper plated 124gr, but the starting load column in my lee reload handbook doesnt have titegroup listed on the 124 copper plated section of the manual. does that mean i cant use 124gr??? sorry im new to the reloading and trying to learn.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    im new also but IIRC i read for reloading berrys copper plated use comparable lead cast bullet load data. Will try to find where i read that and post it here.
    Found it. Right on the Berrys Mfg website "We recommend using hard cast load data or start with mid-range jacketed data." more info here

Last edited:

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    well i just noticed in my lee reloading handbook it doesnt have titegroup powder listed on any of the 124gr projectile sections. not even the 124gr lead bullet section. i guess il keep doin research. if i cant get any answers on here tonight, i will shoot to bradis tmorow anyway for primers. just let me know if u can help. thanks again

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    ... "We recommend using hard cast load data or start with mid-range jacketed data."http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q21-c1-Load_Data_for_Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Bullets.aspx

well i just noticed in my lee reloading handbook it doesnt have titegroup powder listed on any of the 124gr projectile sections. not even the 124gr lead bullet section. i guess il keep doin research. if i cant get any answers on here tonight, i will shoot to bradis tmorow anyway for primers. just let me know if u can help. thanks again

Try the mid range jacketed data. this is from the hodgdon load data site.
    125gr close enough to 124 lead Conical nose with 3.6gr powder seated at 1.125".

USE INFO ABOVE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    In a nutshell: Titegroup was not found to be a suitable powder for cast bullet loads, and by association, plated bullet loads. It can still be used, but the professional ballisticians would suggest using a different powder. If you're just getting into reloading, I will give you a good bit of advice: Stick to book loads, even if that means buying 1 powder for cast/plated bullets and another powder for jacketed bullets.

If you study your reloading manual you will discover that a few powders work for both.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    You might want to try a different powder and save or sell the Titegroup?

For what it's worth, Accurate powder has some good online load data specifically for plated bullets, at least in the 9mm. You can find it here:

Load Data « Accurate Powders

I am using Accurate #2 and Berrys 124gr plated RN, right from their load data. Works good for me. They also have load data for that bullet using other Accurate powders. I agree that when starting out, loading directly from published load data is the way to go. :twocents:

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    thanks guys, i have decided since im still learning i am goin to forge the titegroup powder for the time being. im goin to get some othe rpowder that is in my manual until im more comfortable with this process. thanks for the advice everyone.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    In a nutshell: Titegroup was not found to be a suitable powder for cast bullet loads, and by association, plated bullet loads. It can still be used, but the professional ballisticians would suggest using a different powder. If you're just getting into reloading, I will give you a good bit of advice: Stick to book loads, even if that means buying 1 powder for cast/plated bullets and another powder for jacketed bullets.

If you study your reloading manual you will discover that a few powders work for both.

What he says is good advice. The only thing I might add would be to look into as many different manuals as you can. Not every book will have the exact same information. Study what you find, and ask as many questions as you can.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    In a nutshell: Titegroup was not found to be a suitable powder for cast bullet loads, and by association, plated bullet loads. It can still be used, but the professional ballisticians would suggest using a different powder.

Out of curiosity, do you/anyone know what the reasoning is behind this? I currently use Titegroup for both my plated 9mm loads, and cast 45 loads, and have found no issues with the powder.:dunno:

I am still a very new shooter, so my accuracy isn't the greatest, but I am still able to make decent groups with my hand loads.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Your Good to Go..

Out of curiosity, do you/anyone know what the reasoning is behind this? I currently use Titegroup for both my plated 9mm loads, and cast 45 loads, and have found no issues with the powder.:dunno:

I am still a very new shooter, so my accuracy isn't the greatest, but I am still able to make decent groups with my hand loads.

I'm not sure if Broom_ _jm knows or not, but A MAJOR Commercial loader in the Indy area uses almost exclusively TiteGroup in His loads=BOTH Jacketed and Plated...Has been a lot of K's of His loads sold around here with GREAT success...

I also use TiteGroup in most of my handgun target/plinking loads with ALL styles/materials of bullets...Bill.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I'm not sure if Broom_ _jm knows or not, but A MAJOR Commercial loader in the Indy area uses almost exclusively TiteGroup in His loads=BOTH Jacketed and Plated...Has been a lot of K's of His loads sold around here with GREAT success...

I also use TiteGroup in most of my handgun target/plinking loads with ALL styles/materials of bullets...Bill.

I think the point Broom_jm was trying to convey was that the ballistics lab that published the manual the OP was referencing did not find, or found other powders that they felt were superior in performance.
    Thats why I recomend referencing as many sources as possible before starting the workup on a load. Might be that others have found a combination that works for them using TG, and they are satisfied with it. I know I have shot reloads in the past that were loaded with TG & Berrys plated bullets in .380, and they worked about as well as anything else I have shot, better than some factory loads.

This is the fun part of reloading, IMHO, working up a load. Lots of opinions and variables out there, and every bodies are usually just a little bit different from others.:twocents:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

I specifically said that TG CAN still be used for this purpose. A commercial reloader might be inclined to use a powder that is very economical, requiring the least amount of powder per round. This would be financially prudent?

The ballisticians who write reloading manuals are under no such constraint and simply give the best advice they can, based on exhaustive laboratory testing. Lots of people still smoke cigarettes, but I'm not going to discount the Surgeon General's warning about them based on what may be an imprudent decision. ;)

All I was saying is if it ain't in the reloading manual, there is probably a good reason why not. That doesn't mean it's "wrong" or dangerous to use TG for plated or cast bullets in a 9mm...it just means the professionals feel there are better choices. If you disagree, take it up with the good folks at Lyman, Speer, Sierra, etc... :ingo:

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    your lee manual has 124g jacketed load data for titegroup on page 533. just start with the min load witch is 4.1 g or if it makes you more comfy knock it down a few .10 of a grain. i use jacked data on all my plated reloads. the reloading data you find in your books are well under safe loads anyway so there is a little wiggle room. if you are just shooting targets you dont need hot loads anyway. load a couple at a time and back off the charge by one tenth of a grain untill you have a fail to eject and then bump it back up a couple tenth of a grain and load there.

cheak out this web sight for bullets, it is where i buy all of my bullets from. by far the cheapest and best quality i have found for target ammo reloads.

X-Treme Bullets - (800) 482-2103

Top Bottom