• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I had to do it. This thread:https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/83731-share_your_goodwill_finds.html

has just been screaming for me to do it for the past 2 days, and I couldn't resist the urge. I don't really go to Goodwill, but I may start after seeing that thread. I do go to garage sales though, and I've found lots of good things!

I can't remember them all, but a few of my favorite/best scores are below.

#1 Coleman white-gas lantern with a full tank of gas, extra mantles, and hard carrying-case for $2

#2 Coleman LP lantern with extra mantles, 4 tanks of LP, and hard carrying-case for $5

#3 20mm ammo can for $1 (this lady didn't even know what it was, "How much for the ammo can?" "The what?", "The green metal box", "Oh, that thing, $1" :laugh:)

#4 3 20mm ammo cans for $5

Coolers and such for under $5 are frequent finds.

My mom loves garage sales, and that is what you'll find her doing every Saturday morning in the summer. Her and her sisters will go out in the morning, then they'll come back and get the truck and go pick up all the big items. She knows exactly what things I'm looking for and she knows when they're too cheap to pass up (just my perfect price) so I also get a lot of garage-sale finds from her.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Really? Nobody has found anything good at a garage sale? Nobody goes garage saling? I don't believe it.

What? Do we all shop at Goodwill or something? :D

One bump and if the thread that I thought would be full of win doesn't take off, I'll let it die a slow, painful death as it drifts further out into the sea of old INGO posts.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I love going to garage sales. The highway 38 garage sale is at the end of April, and I usually find good buys on it.

Here are some of my finds.

1) Barely used brad nailer for my compressor - $10

2) New kitchen table with extension leaves - $40

3) Riding lawn mower - $200 (It doesn't look pretty, but works like a charm. I'll probably get ten years out of it.)

There are others, I just can't remember specifics. I find good deals on clothes, books, pictures, and tools. I specifically look for Craftsman hand tools, no matter the condition. If I find screwdrivers with tips broken off, I buy them then use the lifetime guarantee policy at Sears and get new ones.

Edited to add: I almost forgot. I bought a really nice hatchet at a sale for $8. As soon as I learn how to properly sharpen it, I'll make a leather cover for it and put it with my camping gear.

Last edited:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I once bought a 14' flat bottom jon boat for $25 at a yard sale. my wife collects old mason jars and she bought a big lot of them at one sale for $50 and she found several in the lot worth over $100 a piece. she sold the whole lot off one by one{I think she may of kept a couple nice ones} and she made over a grand on ebay. I like going to yard sale but havent been going that much in recent years. probably will more this year.:dunno:

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Got a Hp nc6400 dual core laptop at a yardsale for $150 about a week ago, it works great.

A few years back I found a pair of rca (I think) floor standing tower speakers for $25, still using them today.

Some old sears 10x-16x binos for $15.

Couple of hand held clay throwers (the kind that work like the larger throwers) for $5 each.

And quite a few other things that I can't remember at the moment.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I bought one of those hardware plastic drawer systems that has about a dozen drawers for well hardware, washers, bolts, ext.... one of the drawers was full of silver dollars, I bought is for $3 and it had about 10 coins in it :D.... good find!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Now all we need is a Freebie thread.

$300 Onkyo 5.1 receiver for $20. Couple was moving to Europe.

Craftsman Leaf blower/vac + gas can for $15. Belonged to the lady's husband who passed away. Used only a few times.

Weber charcoal grill with side table for $5

Last edited:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Edited to add: I almost forgot. I bought a really nice hatchet at a sale for $8. As soon as I learn how to properly sharpen it, I'll make a leather cover for it and put it with my camping gear.

Pick up an old Boy Scout Manual from the 70's, it will have a good section on knife, hatchet, and axe sharpening. Even shows the proper way to sharpen a double bit axe, one side for chopping, the other for splitting.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I got a kick butt Cypress Coffee table at a garage sale in Florida. This thing wighs a good 50 lbs. Looked it up once I was home and used ones like that are selling for $500. I paid $20.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Really? Nobody has found anything good at a garage sale? Nobody goes garage saling? I don't believe it.

What? Do we all shop at Goodwill or something? :D

One bump and if the thread that I thought would be full of win doesn't take off, I'll let it die a slow, painful death as it drifts further out into the sea of old INGO posts.
    I was a picker before pickin was cool, I find tons of items at yard sales!

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I went to a couple really good yard sale this weekend and scored some great stuff for very little money.
    I bought this crosman air pistol for $5 and found out its worth $200+:rockwoot:
    pelletgun.jpg

pelletg2.jpg

also bought these 2 OLD shotgun shell boxes..the "peters" box is full and the other is half full of old paper 12ga shells. got them for $1 a piece!!!!
    oldshotgunshells.jpg

also got some really old fishing stuff.. the lures I paid $1 a piece for and the reeel in the leather case cost $5 and the old marble zebco reel cost $2 both with boxes and paper work..all the lures have the boxes and paper work as well.
    also in the lot was 2 old ice fishing set ups I got for $1 for the pair.
    oldfishinstuff.jpg

oldbomberlure.jpg

oldlure.jpg

oldlure2.jpg

oldlure3.jpg

oldrubberlures.jpg

and my favorite find was a Vietnam jacket..my dad wore one similar when I was a kid...I couldnt believe it when I seen it waded up in a box..I asked how much and the lady said "gimme a quarter and its yours":rockwoot::patriot:
    the patch is not with it..I bought the patch for a dime..I collect patches of all kinds.
    viernamjacket.jpg

VNjacketfront.jpg

and I also found this load berring vest...gave $1 for it and it is really good shape.
    loadberringvest.jpg

one guy had a box full of gun parts...mostly useless stuff like cleaning rods,brushes and some old scope bases and rings... but he had 2 older 10/22 magazines in the box and he let me have them both for $1:yesway:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    My best find was a great electric guitar for $15. I put about $50 worth of work into it and sold it a few years later for about $400. No complaints here :D I can't wait for the weather to improve so there'll be more sales.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    3 fishing rods and reels all nice an a tackle box with about 40 rapala lures and some others and a nice swiss army knife for $50. The guy was invited on a fishing trip and went all out on gear and only went once I think maybe 4-5 of the lures had ever touched the water. I also picked up a decent kenwood receiver and cd player for $50 from him. He was a soon to be ex-single guy who was moving from his own home to his fiancees apartment in chicago and was selling off all his toys. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the binoculars he had an 8x50 swarvoski for $100.

A kerosene heater for $5 that I think had only been used once or twice, I saw the exact same model for $100 in the store a couple of weeks later.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Was just over at the Salvation Army here in Beech Grove and walked in to find this treasure. A Craftsman tool chest/cart. I then looked at the price of $100.00 and snickered to myself, "What a joke!". But then, the associate told me to open the drawers. The entire chest is LOADED with tools! Welding equipment, hammers, drill bits of MANY sizes, files, and odds and ends that go back many, many decades. It's even got several welding masks in the cart. It's a treasure chest!

I bought it without thinking twice.

4606952490_485783a8ae_b.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I stopped by a 2nd hand store in Shelbyville last year and was looking around with the GF. I picked up an aluminum cylinder about 10" in length and probably 3" in diameter. It was stamped on one end "1945" IIRC. Anyway it was marked 25 cents! It was a complete unused in excellent condition military gasoline stove!!!! Wooohooo, SCORE!!!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Also picked up a coleman small parts bin, the kind that the old hardware stores had. It has 12 or so plastic drawers in it to hold generators, pump cups, wicks, etc. All the little goodies you need to rebuild coleman lanterns and stoves. Got it for $2!!!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, all of the drawers were full of generators, mantles, pump cups etc All the little goodies you need to rebuild coleman lanterns and stoves!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom