Possible new member requirements, your thoughts about it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    I came here to Learn more about guns. I get that by READING posts. I have read many threads, but don't have a lot to add. Most questions I have, I can search and find a reasonably close answer. My point being, I don't have a lot to contribute, but do like the site and didn't come for the classifieds, I really didn't know there were any when I joined the site.
    I thought I had a point when I started this post, but I think I forgot....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I think that even 2-3 months is a little long. I'd vote for making access to the Classifieds contingent upon meeting one (1) of the following criteria:
    1. member for at least 30 days;
    2. 50 "quality posts";
    3. site supporter.

Although, perhaps making the post count requirement be in combination with 2 weeks membership would help avoid the 50 one-liners in a night.

For the folks saying stuff similar to "don't fix what ain't broke", you've been missing all the excitement! We *have* been having problems this past week with people signing up and then making 50 junk posts in an effort to quickly get into the classifieds.

I know Fenway posted in another suggestion thread that he did not want to block bots/spiders from crawling the Classifieds because they do serve to attract people to INGO. That's both understandable and sensible. But perhaps having a membership time requirement in addition to the post count will help dissuade people from thinking they can just post 50 times really quick to get into the Classifieds.

Then the 30-60 day option allows people who lurk a lot but may not be men of many words to still be able to use the Classifieds.

And of course, if people are willing to become a Site Supporter, that is a clear indicator that they are willing to contribute to INGO, so that should continue to be a way for new members to get into the Classifieds.

+2 to WIS, +2 to CHA

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    A time limit by itself wouldn't do anything. Someone could just join, make one good post, then wait the time limit and could be off to the classifieds.

A time limit on site plus quality post count would help, but we still need good mods who have nothing better to do than check every post count of every noob. As is they are doing a GREAT job.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I don't understand the suggestion for PM restriction. There is a lot said in PMs that helps build relationships and help one feel some belonging to the forum. I'm probably missing something, but I don't get it.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    INGO has classifieds?
    ;)
    And an FAQ!!!!!!!!

Anyway, as a short time member, but somewhat heavy poster in a short time. Anyway, I could agree with making it a 50 post and 90 day probation period. But I'm low on the totem pole. I do like adding rep to the requirement. It would cause them to have to get "approval" from other members through quality posts.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't understand the suggestion for PM restriction. There is a lot said in PMs that helps build relationships and help one feel some belonging to the forum. I'm probably missing something, but I don't get it.

There has been a lot of circumvention of the forum rules by using the PM feature to bypass the 50 quality posst to access the classifieds.

Jknapp was one of the latest that admitted he pm'd about trying to buy something via a pm, a clear violation.

Thats what I want to know also. First it was 10 posts, now 50 posts isnt good enough huh?

It was raised because there was people who was here for a purchase only, not to be part of the community.

:rolleyes: Whats the probem, afraid that $500 Glock or $300 SKS will be gone before you get a chance to see it?

Nope, have no desire for a Glock or an SKS, I'm not here for the classifieds. Heck I became a member in June of 08 and lurked almost 6 months before I made my first post.

The classified are just a benefit of membership, but to others that is the only purpose of being here.

We have over 9000 members here, 6,911 (75 percent) have 50 posts or less. Now take a look at how many of those members hit that mark and have never posted again because they are classified hunting.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    We have over 9000 members here, 6,911 (75 percent) have 50 posts or less. Now take a look at how many of those members hit that mark and have never posted again because they are classified hunting.

Eh, so. I think you are feeling too much neighborly love after coming to terms with the Mad Crapper. (Best post ever on INGO.) If we start encouraging all those people to post, surely my ignore list will grow. Mine currently only includes a couple of frothing-stunted-freaks.

Hello... IB? Can you hear me?? Is this thing on?? :dunno:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I've only been here since February, and I am content with the way it is now. I did not come here for the classifieds, but well after I made my 50 QUALITY posts I found some items I needed, and to date have concluded 2 deals via the classifieds. To impose a 3 month probationary-period is a bit more..."regulatory" than I'm comfortable with. The less regulation in all aspects of life, IMO, the better. We are, to my knowledge, mostly adults here. I feel that a new member trying to circumvent the rules is a problem that can be dealt with without imposing more rules and regulations. :twocents:

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    What about the people who are just here for the "disaster and preparedness: section or pick a section? what if they only are here for one forum section, why is the classifieds so taboo? Almost every gun I have spoken with a member about in the classifieds includes the statement from the seller " they are going for $ X amount on Gunbroker so that is what I want" it's not like there are super deals (very few) that should be reserved for those who like to type alot!

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    Good luck to those here who must decide on such rules. I was fine with waiting because I find value in what others post. This has been an issue on most every other forum I have joined. There are always folks who are trying to get around the rules so that they can buy or sell items.

One suggestion I would make is to allow a member to vouch for a newbie. For example, if you tell a friend about INGO, and then send a PM to the moderators that you recommend that person to become a member.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Tell you what, the 50 post rule causes more headaches than the 10 did. Now when people come here just for the classifieds I have to wade through 50 posts of BS instead of 10. I say get rid of the post count rule and make it for site supporters only.

sporty_live

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Tell you what, the 50 post rule causes more headaches than the 10 did. Now when people come here just for the classifieds I have to wade through 50 posts of BS instead of 10. I say get rid of the post count rule and make it for site supporters only.

If there must be requirements or restrictions, this seems like a fair way to handle it. It would avoid running up BS posts just to hit the 50 and the site would benefit from it. Then again, maybe they should just go to an annual membership fee to post on general topics as well. I notice a lot of people on here with a high post count that are not shown as site supporters.

I have lurked on here for a couple months and only recently set up a username and dropped $10 for the site. While interested in a lot of the topics, there isnt always a lot I have to add. Didnt feel like meeting my minimum 50 quota with posting a bunch of gibberish.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom