Possible new member requirements, your thoughts about it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I know this has been talked about time and time again, but lately the mod team has had to be on the top of their game and I applaud them for their effort, time and devotion here on INGO.

Suggestions to end some problems of users trying to circumvent the rules and bypass regulations to access the classifieds.

Eliminate the post count rule and enlist a 3 month or longer getting to know you time frame before you are allowed to access the classifieds.
    It then will be the decision of members to partake in a transaction or not based on the user's input.

PM's disabled until they meet the 3 month rule or contribute via a site supporter membership that enables them access to the classifieds and stops the PM parade that some users have tried to bypass the rules.

This should automatically stop the mass one liner post parade to reach 50 posts for PM's and the classifieds.

Overall I think this is a fair approach, still lets new users to participate in the forums and limits people who are just here to swope in for a good deal.

If they plop down for a site support it show's that they are at least willing to partake supporting INGO before trying to ravage the classifieds. Because after all the classified are a by product, not the main reason for being here.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I like the idea that a new guy should be able to post, but not PM or access the classifieds until certain requirements are met. I am up in the air as to what those requirements should be though. The classifieds weren't that big of a draw for me compared to just finding a bunch of good people to talk guns with. Some of the most annoying posters are the ones posting junk just to get to the classifieds, but making them do that reveals a lot about the sort of person they are; are they mature enough to make some quality posts or can they not handle that simple test to see what kind of a person they are? I also think that the rep feature could be a good tool to help the members police the site. Maybe set it up so that if a guy's rep is in the red that he can't pm or access the classifieds?

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    i dunno... I like it the way it is. Eddie has a good idea with the negative or even no rep rule.

I was a little frustrated with the classifieds post count rule, cuz there were a couple ads that I had legit questions on, and I wasn't able to aske them... its whatever though,I see the point.

:+1: for the mods keeping things in check.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I don't really get the PM deal...

I know the goal is to keep newbies out of the classifieds but aren't we all adults here? If adult member of INGO wants to risk dealing with a n00b pm about buying XYZ... why shouldn't they?

I do get the idea that n00bs can flood peoples inboxes and a 10 post rule about PM's isn't over the top IMO.

50 posts to be able post in the classifieds is reasonable, PMs should be 10.

Everything else is just big brother IMO.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I agree with the rep count rule that should be taken into consideration. I understand that I am a noob but then again to be honest I'm mot even here for the classifieds. But what about making it even you should have to have 50 posts to even pm. That would deter people who are only here to get into the classifieds.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I originally only came here for the classifieds, and look what happened.
    :popcorn:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I think the PM limit is to keep spammers from getting on and sending PMs to people..

why not keep the post count & add a time limit ? like 60 days & 50 posts ?
    or a min rep value ?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    *sigh* Why add more big brother features? The system ain't broke and doesn't need anyone meddling with it. Why make things harder than they need to be?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I kinda think this is a good idea. I feel like something should be done to stop a lot of this from happening. But then again the classifieds is a big part of the reason why we get so many new members. There should be a "probation" before entry to the classifieds. Maybe 1-2 months with quality post counts. I dunno.

My BIGGEST complaint is that a lot of this happens after I go to bed. I think there should be a rule that you can't post any "excitement" unless its within a certain time frame. I just miss out all the fun and it's making me mad!:xmad:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I think that even 2-3 months is a little long. I'd vote for making access to the Classifieds contingent upon meeting one (1) of the following criteria:
    1. member for at least 30 days;
    2. 50 "quality posts";
    3. site supporter.

Although, perhaps making the post count requirement be in combination with 2 weeks membership would help avoid the 50 one-liners in a night.

For the folks saying stuff similar to "don't fix what ain't broke", you've been missing all the excitement! We *have* been having problems this past week with people signing up and then making 50 junk posts in an effort to quickly get into the classifieds.

I know Fenway posted in another suggestion thread that he did not want to block bots/spiders from crawling the Classifieds because they do serve to attract people to INGO. That's both understandable and sensible. But perhaps having a membership time requirement in addition to the post count will help dissuade people from thinking they can just post 50 times really quick to get into the Classifieds.

Then the 30-60 day option allows people who lurk a lot but may not be men of many words to still be able to use the Classifieds.

And of course, if people are willing to become a Site Supporter, that is a clear indicator that they are willing to contribute to INGO, so that should continue to be a way for new members to get into the Classifieds.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom