• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    GOT TO THINKING I MAY TAKE SOME TIME AWAY FROM MY MARLIN 512 slug gun this year and consider Indiana legal rifle. What would you recommend I start looking for? I don't want a muzzle Loader. Thanks

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Personally, I'd probably wait to see if the current proposal to allow more centerfire calibers is adopted for next year. Having said that, a lot of folks like .44 magnums, or one of the several wildcat options, such as the .358 Hoosier.

I currently use .44 mag, 357 maximum and a trimmed down .35 Remington.

I'm sure that you'll get a lot of opinions.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Agree with Hookeye, if you are buying now, go with a 35 rem. You can trim in now and if the regs change, you can use stanadard ammo.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    A friend of mine is trying the fo-fiddy this year. It is a little stout that's for sure.

:ingo:
    It throws lead that is for sure. Really isn't that bad to shoot though. My girls shoot it and they are 12 and 13. I want to use my .257 if it does pass but would also like to buy a .270 or .30-06 just to have a standard shell that I could buy at Shopko or Walmart if I need a box or two.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Definitely wait until we know what is going to happen with the current proposal. I spent $$$ on a 358 wildcat I would not have needed under the current proposal; I could have bought a 243Ai barrel and installed myself for a fraction of the price.

If you never shoot much over 100 yards, a 44Mag will work well for you regardless of the change in regs.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    I really like the 243 for deer but it is even more important with the smaller bore guns to get your skill set "100% on target". Poor placement, say gut shot, with a 243 will be less likely to stop a deer size animal than a 35 Rem. Whatever gun you go with, practice to aquire profeciency will be more important than gun, ammo, camo, sent block, range finder etc.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    I really like the 243 for deer but it is even more important with the smaller bore guns to get your skill set "100% on target". Poor placement, say gut shot, with a 243 will be less likely to stop a deer size animal than a 35 Rem. Whatever gun you go with, practice to aquire profeciency will be more important than gun, ammo, camo, sent block, range finder etc.

I've seen a deer gut shot with an expanding 12 gauge slug ripping a sickening sized hole run a mile. Tracked it by following the pieces of intestines hanging off the brush. No caliber is a cure for sloppy and/or irresponsible shooting.

Top Bottom