• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    In a long overdue move, it looks like Turkey's military may be making moves to oust Erdogan and his Islamist buddies from power and return the country to secular rule, ( as they've done in the past). While not a fan of military coups, by and large, Turkey's have always been about restoring democracy and preserving their Constitution and secular rule. Easy enough to get behind.

Turkey PM says army group engaged in 'coup attempt' -

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Military has issued a statement that they have control of the country

Reports that top generals are currently "held hostage" at military HQ

For those that don't follow Turkey closely... we're rooting for the military. Turkey is no stranger to coups.

If the coup holds... the stream of refugees from Syria should stop, which may also cause issues for ISIS

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm not generally (no pun intended) a fan of military-coups, but this guy has been trying to turn a successful NATO country into an islamist ****hole since he got into office in 2007. I was good with the Egyptian military kicking out the muslim brotherhood too. Other than that, not a fan.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm not generally (no pun intended) a fan of military-coups, but this guy has been trying to turn a successful NATO country into an islamist ****hole since he got into office in 2007. I was good with the Egyptian military kicking out the muslim brotherhood too. Other than that, not a fan.

Yep. He seemed to be going for a full Putin. Add powers to the presidency so you can move there for four years until eligible to be PM again, or just leverage presidency into autocracy

Say goodnight, Reccip

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was afraid they would be unable to do this when the time comes since Erdogan had been trying to put his people in top slots in the military.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

He has also refused to take the fight to IS along the border and has done squat to seal the border with Syria. I'd bet the military is pissed at that. He's also done nothing internally against IS, instead reigniting the conflict with the Kurds.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Turkey isn't Middle East. It's Persian. A distinction lost on many, but it's an important one.

Persia and Turkey are certainly Middle East (now), but they are not Arabic. The Arabs get all cranked off whenever we refer to the Persian Gulf -- it's the Arabian Gulf, dontcha see, but it's still the same body of water and also in the middle east.

Anyway, this is hopeful news, I was sure that Erdogan had castrated the military early on.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Persia and Turkey are certainly Middle East (now), but they are not Arabic. The Arabs get all cranked off whenever we refer to the Persian Gulf -- it's the Arabian Gulf, dontcha see, but it's still the same body of water and also in the middle east.

Anyway, this is hopeful news, I was sure that Erdogan had castrated the military early on.

No. They aren't. Turkey is not the Middle East. The term "Middle East" applies to a very specific region, and neither Turkey nor Iran are countries therein. They are Persian.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    p.s.

I'd love to be in NATO headquarters right now seeing everyone run about, as well as in the EU headquarters. No doubt the EU will be pulling for the Islamists, NATO will officially sit on its hands and call for calm, but if they have half-a-brain they will be rooting for the military to succeed. I'm sure they will do nothing useful. Aside from the American bases the US has, there is a NATO forward operating base for NATO AWACS, I wonder if any are deployed, and if they skedaddled.

I shudder to think what our current SecState and President Jarrett are going to come up with.

Top Bottom