• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was just teasin ya! I know exactly what you mean on this one and couldn't agree more.

I know you were. :)

Listen, I understand the position that the police are in. If someone phones in a MWG call, they don't send an officer, and that MWG subsequently holds up a gas station, there are going to be Serious Questions posed to the dispatcher and the department. I get it. At the same time, none of this should be a concern for a law-abiding gun owner. The law-abiding gun owner should not have to expect to be hassled every time he sets foot outside his door just because someone doesn't like the way he looks. The civil Rights of the law-abiding gun owner should take precedence over the department's need to avoid perceived liability for not responding to an unwarranted complaint.

It's all about training your employees. When those Serious Questions come up, the department spokesperson needs to be crystal clear: "At the time the call came in, there was no indication that any illegal activity was taking place or was about to take place, and this department does not make it a habit of dispatching officers when there is no illegal activity. The dispatcher made every attempt to question the caller to ascertain what law may or may not have been broken."

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    LOL, so anyways, approximately 0020 hours I was at the Summitville town gas station after doing shopping and visiting friends. I had my new ar in the car due to having the trunk and rear seat full of groceries and cases of pop. At approximately 0035 hours I have a town officer approach me and ask why he was receiving calls pertaining to a kid with a gun in his vehicle, ask for my license and if I had a permit for my weapon in the vehicle. Before I reached for my wallet, I advised them I had my glock on my hip under my shirt. The officer joking then asked why I was all armed up tonight. I responded I only had the ar15 in the vehicle due to stopping by a friends house to show him and that the glock was for my personal protection. I then proceeded to hand him my LTCH and drivers license, he then asked what the ar was and if it was full auto. I responded that it was a rock river ar15 and that no it wasn't full auto because I don't have a nfa class III license yet. The officer then chuckled at the words yet and told me someone had called them thinking I was going to rob the place, and that they had assumed they only received that call because I am 23. After that I was returned my LTCH and license, and then we both wished each other a good evening and went on our separate ways. It is honestly a great thing that police do check into it, but obviously someone panicked and wasted the officers time due to the evil black rifle....lol

Anyways, I have had a good night and wanted to report this to the board for a positive LEO encounter for a change. :D

Glad you didn't get a Georgia Drug Enforcement cop on the call: you'd be dead now. :): You certainly got a lottery pick; the guy was nice, cool headed and full of common sense.... he needs a $10 an hour raise!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Right after this happened last night, yamaha texted me to see if I was still awake. Of course i was, and he called me and told me about it. All I could do was laugh at the situation, lol. Its nice to know he got one of the good cops there in Summitville though. The Marshal in town can be a dick when it comes to guns.

bnatc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think I will call the police whenever I see some hip-hop looking people in a beat up car. I am afraid they might rob me.....
    And I will do the same when I see a car load of preppie kids playing hip hop pull up next to me.

js_silveradoss

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    I always make sure i drive around showing my peice before i rob a place!!:ugh:
    People are paranoid. If someone is gana rob a place you probaly wont see it before it happens. I have been robbed at gunpoint and it happens FAST and unexpected:nailbite:. I was 17 at the time. I turned 18 and got my carry permit and been packin ever sense.:draw:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Hanlded well on both sides. They have to respond as part of their job and responded how you should. As did he.

+1 for you and the officer

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    did you actually have a kid in the car or was the caller mistaken about that too??

lol.....its because I am 23yo prolly and for those who have met me, I don't look that old. Anyways, I got a tip as to who called the cops on me. I'm assuming its because they felt their illegal drug business was in jeopardy with an ar15 just being around.....lmfao:)::)::):

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    LOL, the officer that responded was an unpaid reserve

I find it funny that I get pulled over for beating a light but not for terrorizing the BSU parking garages with s/c whine.....lol

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    MWG calls should not automatically mean an officer should be dispatched to the scene. We hear stories on INGO frequently about encounters of this sort. It's a waste of the officer's time. The dispatchers need to be trained to ask if the MWG is doing something illegal, and if the answer is "no", then you move on. If someone called 911 and reported a "man with a baseball bat" or a "man with a tire iron" (either of which could be easily used to commit a crime), they would most likely not send an officer.

While I totally agree with you, it will never happen. The way the rules are for the dispatchers, they have zero play with the whole sending the cops out thing. Even if the call is obviously not an LEO issue, if the caller wants a cop they get one. It's BS, but it's just the way it is.

I know you probably already know this.......more quoting and pointing it out for those that might not.

jndep3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    As a LEO, it was good to read that this officer did his job and didn't overreact and call for addit.'l units and "blow up" the situation. Also, it sounds like he was just asking very broad questions to try to determine the situation. Good Post!:D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    :+1:

And I will add... No coffee is bad.

Not so sure of that. During the Christmas holidays, my partner and I once found a 5 gallon coffee maker in the AWACS hangar that had been left on. Nobody had been there for at least 3 days. It was a 12 hr midshift, dead as a doornail, we had nothing better to do. So we took it up to the entry control point, called the ramp patrol, and had him shuttle cups of coffee to the alarm monitor in the back of the area. The five of us then had a contest to see who could drink the most of it. That was BAD coffee. And I couldn't get to sleep the next morning LOL.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Not so sure of that. During the Christmas holidays, my partner and I once found a 5 gallon coffee maker in the AWACS hangar that had been left on. Nobody had been there for at least 3 days. It was a 12 hr midshift, dead as a doornail, we had nothing better to do. So we took it up to the entry control point, called the ramp patrol, and had him shuttle cups of coffee to the alarm monitor in the back of the area. The five of us then had a contest to see who could drink the most of it. That was BAD coffee. And I couldn't get to sleep the next morning LOL.
    Now that is a story for the ages. I've had some pretty bad coffee over the years but not that bad!

Top Bottom