Police officers: What can you accept as "proof of insurance"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    First, this situation is being corrected tomorrow... but...

My wife and I have two cars on the same policy, just before we left for Michigan earlier this month, we realized that my wife's copy of the insurance card for her car was missing, being 6pm on a Saturday and from a smaller insurance company, getting a card was not an option, my car wasn't 500 mile trip worthy, and staying home was not an option either.

What we did find was my car's current insurance card, her expired card, and a notice for this month's electronic withdrawl, all with the same policy number as all the insurance cards. We put it all in an envelope and left.

Would you have given us a ticket?

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    You are required by law to have insurance, but here in Indiana, police don't ask for "proof of insurance" during traffic stops. Just "license and registration".

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    IC 9-25-4-7
    Methods of proving financial responsibility
    **** Sec. 7. (a) Proof of financial responsibility as requested by the bureau:
    ********(1) must be in effect on the date of the request; and
    ********(2) may be given by any of the following methods:
    ************(A) Proof that a policy or policies of operator or motor vehicle liability insurance, as applicable, have been obtained and are in full force and effect.
    ************(B) Proof that a bond has been duly executed.
    ************(C) Proof that deposit has been made of money or securities.
    ****(b) Proof of financial responsibility as requested by a law enforcement officer:
    ********(1) must be in effect on the date of the request; and
    ********(2) may be provided in a paper or electronic format. For purposes of this subdivision, electronic formats include the display of an electronic image on a telecommunications device.

Its hard to find bc the exact verbiage is Fiscal Responsibility. Electronic proof is gtg in Indiana, I'm assuming you can pull those down policies on your companies website?

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    It will say the company of the insurance on the registration, but no where will it say policy number, expiration, etc. Insurance people in Indiana have to submit an electronic form of verification if you get a ticket or in an accident within so many days or your license will be suspended. Last time I got pulled over (got a warning doing 15 over) I don't even think they asked for insurance stuff.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If you get stopped just call the cop stupid and start ranting about how much your time is worth. Make sure to spit a bunch while you're ranting (either while speaking or just in general). They're impressed by these sorts of things.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Probably varies by state, but if you have a smart phone you can probably get proof of it on that. USAA lets you print your own cards off their website as well, not sure about other companies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have been asked for proof of insurance by a LEO. Fortunately, I had it. Unfortunately, I didn't have my registration. Fortunately (and miraculously) the officer let me slide.

Not sure how it works with other insurance companies, but I can go to my insurance company's website and print off a duplicate proof of insurance card.

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    If you get stopped just call the cop stupid and start ranting about how much your time is worth. Make sure to spit a bunch while you're ranting (either while speaking or just in general). They're impressed by these sorts of things.
    Don't forget to tell him who pays his salary while you're at it!

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I didn't have a card that was current, but did have about a dozen expired ones once. I just mailed in a copy of the right one and the ticket was dropped.

Sifting through a stack of car insurance cards looking for the current one got a slight chuckle from the officer. Sifting through a stack of registrations does not. lol

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My recent registration for my Motorcycles had a wallet size attached. I put the insurance card behind it and laminated it. It is now tucked away in my wallet. One side is registration the other is Insurance info.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I hit a deer a couple years back while I was still on my moms insurance. I didn't have an insurance card. He let me call my mom and verbally report the policy number so he could write it on the claim. Really nice for him to work with me like that.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    You are required by law to have insurance, but here in Indiana, police don't ask for "proof of insurance" during traffic stops. Just "license and registration".

They dont? The Indiana State Trooper sure did ask me for proof of insurance after I went blowing by his unmarked on RT63 North! I was in an unmarked Federal Truck. Funny thing was that I was in a Federal Vehicle and we dont have insurance nor registrations. He actually had to call in that one to make sure I was blowing smoke up his arse.

Top Bottom