• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Looking to get into the hammerless revolver game as a back-up gun. Would carry mostly in the pocket or may eventually try to venture towards an ankle piece. I am a fan of Smith and Wesson and would prefer to stick there. Any pros/ cons, advice or knowledge of the different models would be greatly appreciated.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I have a SW 642. I honestly don't know how many rounds have been through it in its life, but it has never failed me. I shoot everything from light bunny loads to full power +p loads. The only thing I changed on mine was switching out the rubber boot grips for the old school magna grips with a Tyler T grip. The rubber boot grip kinda hung up in the pocket for me. You can't go wrong with the 642/442

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    My wife's gun for many years was a S&W Airweight with the covered (whatever the correct term is) hammer. She could waltz a can across the backyard with it while paying little attention to sights. But, as time took its toll on musculature her hand needed a different set of grips. The reason for mentioning this is that there is a difference in what feels ok and what works. What works is what counts.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    442 owned since 1997. Did the handgrip change as you thought, works well. I also use a Barami Hip Grip(extension stock hooks over your belt for a no holster carry). Ammo is 125gr 38 spec/ look like Golden Sabers, not a bad shooter. Great "milk and bread" carry gun at 10:00pm. I usually use mine as a backup to a G19.
    Ruger has the LCR line and they look pretty durable. Practice at 3yds-7yds and you will be covered.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Is it that bad?
    You live that way in Indiana?
    I ask as someone seriously contemplating moving there.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The S&W 442/642 is what you are looking for. They are a little heavier then the Ruger LCR but just a smidge skinnier. Seem to carry in pockets better then the Ruger. Mechanically they are surprisingly accurate. I had a good smith work the trigger over on my 642 and it is now good to go. I usually just keep it in my pocket when hanging out around the house.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The LCR has less felt recoil. At least that is my opinion. I think the polymer soaks it up. The LCR also has a better trigger out of the box.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    And the .357 LCR has more metal/less polymer than the .38. It was my first gun, and I shot it fine right out of the box. I didn't really notice the recoil.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The better 2/3's adopted crimson trace grips just because it suited her hand. Smart for her because after visiting many gun shops she knew what she needed. The cats can enjoy chasing the laser. Writing the check was a pleasure.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The LCR blows the older tech S&W 642/442s out of the water imho.

Better out of the box trigger. Less felt recoil. More durable finish. Lighter. Less expensive. No Hilliary Hole.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    No worse than anywhere else, I guess. 2 gun carry very common, and the OP seemed interested in back ups. Depending on your area of residence, or work, BUGs(back up guns) could be a tool to have if needed. Former employment sent me to the lowest bowels of Lake County-Gary, East Chicago, Hammond, and some of the Unincorporated rural areas, where you stumble upon anything. Good luck on your move.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The better 2/3's adopted crimson trace grips just because it suited her hand. Smart for her because after visiting many gun shops she knew what she needed. The cats can enjoy chasing the laser. Writing the check was a pleasure.

FFS, don't let her shoot the cats.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The LCR blows the older tech S&W 642/442s out of the water imho.

Better out of the box trigger. Less felt recoil. More durable finish. Lighter. Less expensive. No Hilliary Hole.

As i recall LCR has internal lock as well, it's just hidden under the grips. Around here they are priced the same. That said they are both great choices.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yes, the lock on the LCR is under the grips. Inconvenient if you plan to use it.

When I was deciding between the Smith and the Ruger, the Ruger was priced at about 20% less.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I carry a 442 just about everywhere, when its not with me, I usually have the Model 60 with me. My wife has the LCR, and I agree, it seems to have a bit less recoil than the Smith airweights, but the difference is not a large one. I like them both, and if forced to carry an LCR I wouldnt be mad, but I prefer my Smiths, as I tend to be more accurate with them. On a good day, 7 yards turns out one hole groups with the waddcutter practice ammo I shoot, and usually the same with the Reminton 125 grain +Ps that I carry.

Top Bottom