• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My family and I drink a lot of soda, and we recycle the cans. Typically, we crush them and wait until we have five or six bags. The problem is, no one wants to crush the cans, and my garage ends up cluttered with bags and bags of cans. I was sitting out in the garage, looking at the mess of cans, and I thought, "there's gotta be an easier way", so I hopped on the internet, figured out what I needed, went to Lowes, got a screen door closer, and made a pneumatic can crusher.

Bottom pic is actually video. I think it works.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Thats a great video of cans falling out of the bottom of a metal box. I'm NOT a movie director, but could you pan OUT a bit and SHOW what is happening. Maybe also show the mechanism so some of us can try to build one too.

Thanks

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Can't really show because it's all enclosed. If I panned out, you would see the uncrushed cans drop as the crushed cans fell out of the bottom. But, I'll get somebody to film while I push the lever...

I could, if you were interested, give a materials list and instructions....

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Can't really show because it's all enclosed. If I panned out, you would see the uncrushed cans drop as the crushed cans fell out of the bottom. But, I'll get somebody to film while I push the lever...

I could, if you were interested, give a materials list and instructions....

Please.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'll probably forget something. If I do, feel free to ask. Yes, the pics suck. It's already been stated that I'm no movie producer. I'm not a photographer either!

Ok, here goes.

I got the idea from this website. Home - DIY PVC Can Crusher Guide I even built the first one out of PVC, but it didn't last a day before the plunger broke and the end snapped off, so I built one out of steel that I had laying around. I used 2 1\2 box tubing (3/16 wall), but it's actually too small for a can to drop in. So, I ended up cutting the sides off and welding new sides onto the outer edge of the tubing which gave me plenty of room for a can to drop in.

I went to Lowes and bought a screen door closer, Shop WRIGHT PRODUCTS 12-5/8-in White Adjustable Hold-Open Pneumatic Screen Door and Storm Door Closer at Lowes.com= , 1/8 inch nipple, and air fittings. Once I got home, I cut off the tab, removed the screw from the end, drilled and tapped the hole (where the screw was) to accept the 1/8 nipple.

Then, I cut off the end and threaded the rod. I used an 8mm by 1.25 thread die. If I had to do it again, I would weld a nut on the rod so I could hold onto it easier when I threaded the rod.

Then, I built the end of the ram. I used 1/4 inch steel.

In the first picture, you will notice three holes. The center hole was drilled and tapped to accept the rod. The other two holes are air holes to allow air to escape when the can is being crushed. On the second picture, you'll notice two pieces of metal on the back. When I was building this, I knew I was setting it up to load multiple cans, so I put the long piece to close the opening in order to keep cans from falling behind the ram. I made that six inches long (I should have made it seven inches). The shorter piece serves two purposes. First, as a stop so the ram doesn't have to travel back so far, and, second, to keep it from falling into the bottom hole and getting bound up (I made it 1 1/2 inches long). I would suggest making it as wide as the plate to keep it from twisting. Another thing if you're building to load multiple cans, make your plate 1/4 inch shorter than the height of the can (the can laying on it's side). That way, the ram doesn't catch the can on top.

Next, I built the body. The top opening is 5 3/4 inches long and the bottom opening is 2 inches long. The overall length 7 1/2 inches long. I built it so the ram would set back 1/4 inch when fully retracted.

That piece of steel is just a guard for the top plate on the ram. I didn't want it flying back without something covering it.

Next, I attached the ram to the body. I used 1 1/2 galvanized steel pipe and a coupler. I welded the coupler to 1/4 inch plate which I welded to the body. I drilled a hole for the ram to go through. I also made it shorter so the cover plate could slide out the back. I drilled a hole in the back, and I use a screw to keep the ram from shooting out of the back.

On the end of the body, I drilled a hole to relieve air pressure when I'm crushing the can. I'm going the weld an elbow facing down because whatever liquid is in the can will come flying out.

Last is the pneumatic valve. I used a two way, four position valve because I had it.

I'm going to end up buying a two way, three position foot pedal to make it easier to operate. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EYN5ZOK/ref=mp_s_a_1_33?qid=1380379371&sr=8-33&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

As far as the cage, I robbed that from my manual can crusher, and I would strongly suggest building or buying something like it. The ram moves very quickly, and I can only imagine the damage it would do to a finger.

I think that's all. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom