• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    There's nothing fun about this fairgrounds show | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

Fran Quigley

There's nothing fun about this fairgrounds show

Posted: November 17, 2008

It is Friday evening in late October, and the shadows on the Indiana State Fairgrounds are starting to lengthen as I pay nine bucks to gain admission into the 1500 Gun and Knife Show.
    Twenty-five feet inside the entrance of the South Pavilion building, a display table is draped with the striking red background and black swastika of the Nazi flag. Ten feet farther, an SS uniform is for sale. The crowd of several hundred, virtually all white men, mill past displays of Confederate flags and National Rifle Association literature. One vendor features T-shirts of the iconic yellow smiley face with a bullet hole in its forehead and brains blown out the back of its skull.

Thousands of weapons are for sale. Glock 23 fully automatic pistols, Uzi nine millimeters, Colt 44 magnum Anacondas. Some cost less than $100.
    One display includes copies of legal treatises on the "castle doctrine," the law that allows the use of deadly force on intruders. Next to the stack of treatises are bumper stickers reading, "Osama bin Laden/Obama Joe Biden. Coincidence?"
    When someone picks up a bumper sticker, the man working the display nods. "God help us if McCain doesn't win," he says. "I live in South Bend, which is 35 percent black. That's what you call a target-rich environment."
    My companion at the gun show is Joe Zelenka, who coordinates for the Church Federation of Greater Indianapolis the prayer vigils held after murders in the city. When weapons like the ones sold at the firgrounds make real human beings look like the blown-away smiley face on the T-shirts, Zelenka is there to hear the mothers' cries of anguish.
    He points to a Springfield XD 9 millimeter semi-automatic pistol. "Not legal in California," the box reads. "The only things these are used to hunt for is people," Zelenka says.
    Zelenka is helping to coordinate a petition from nearby St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic parish asking Gov. Mitch Daniels to stop hosting these gun shows at the State Fairgrounds. The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1983 requires that licensed gun dealers conduct background checks of purchasers before selling firearms. But there is no such federal or state requirement for private sellers. They are free to sell weapons, including at gun shows, to anyone, including convicted felons and spouse abusers, who plunks down the cash.
    A handful of states have closed this gun show loophole, sometimes in the aftermath of tragedy. After gun show-purchased weapons were used by the Columbine High School killers to shoot 26 students in 1999, Colorado voters passed a referendum requiring background checks for all sales at these shows.
    But Indiana has no such limitation. And Daniels, like Govs. Evan Bayh and Frank O'Bannon before him, doesn't plan to stop the State Fairgrounds gun shows. "We are not in a position to discriminate among potential users (of the fairgrounds) that comply with applicable laws and the lease requirement," says Daniels spokeswoman Jane Jankowski.
    Meanwhile, the only-in-America headlines continue. On Halloween, a 12-year-old South Carolina trick-or-treater is gunned down. At a Massachusetts gun fair, an 8-year-old boy accidentally shoots himself in the head with an Uzi submachine gun. A dispute over an LSU-Alabama college football game leads to two people being shot to death. In Arizona, another 8-year-old shoots and kills his father and another man.
    Zelenka continues his grim ritual of prayer vigils, as the Indianapolis homicide total climbs to more than 100 deaths again this year. And next year the Indiana State Fairgrounds is scheduled to host five more weapons extravaganzas, each providing a forum for the fringes of hate and the merchants of violent death.
    Quigley is an attorney and director of operations for the Indiana-Kenya Partnership.

Last edited:

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Yup, cause only old white-supremacists own guns or go to gun shows :n00b:

This article is so full of fail, that if it wasn't angering, i'd laugh :xmad:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Obviously she wants on Obama's staff. What tripe! I am glad that most Hoosiers are smarter than she:spewer-of-dookie.

BTW-don't try to write-in with an fact-filled response as it will get 'shot down' by the Star.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    You are All Wrong (me too) First the chick is a dude :rolleyes: and is severely crippled by His Elitist Leftist Liberal Thinking and is a Big Advocate of Wealth Redistribution and shock has strong ties to the Bloomington Leftist Community.

asset_upload_file30_22324.jpg

Fran Quigley is an attorney and journalist in Indianapolis, Indiana. His e-mail is or was: fran.quigley@iclu.org

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think the sticker shock of the 9 bucks plus parking fees set him off! :popcorn:

BTW- I'd pay $100.00 for any of them thar blasters he mentioned!!!

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Wow...can he propagandize or WHAT?

They sold stuff pertaining to guns at a gun show? No way!

This guy portays all gun guys as racist white guys...who knows if he's telling the truth about what some racist said.

"When weapons like the ones sold at the firgrounds make real human beings look like the blown-away smiley face on the T-shirts, Zelenka is there to hear the mothers' cries of anguish."

Seriously? This is breaking news! The weapons themselves are not walking around blowing people away! HOLY CRAP. How about when kitchen knives sold at your local target start spontaneously launching themselves into people's chest! What are we gonna do?!

"They are free to sell weapons, including at gun shows, to anyone, including convicted felons and spouse abusers, who plunks down the cash."

Every time I've ever purchased a gun at a 1500 gun show the dealer did a background check. What gives?

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Emails sent. The main point of the article i do not have a problem with. That point i think was lack of back ground checks for private sellers. I have no problem with this as many of you don't since we are all law abiding citizens. All that other BS was total ignorant. I can not believe he cant even get the Glock statement right. That to me discredits his whole article because hell you can google that in 1 minutes.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    My response:

Lawyers, such at the author of that piece, are trained to use words effectively to say what they want them to say and to leave the impression they want to leave.

People at gun shows like the Indy1500 sell a great deal of military memorabilia. They sell patches, uniforms, flags, and other accoutrements worn and used by the US and her allies in the course of her history. And, yes, they also sell the patches, uniforms, flags, and other accoutrements worn by the people the US fought as well, since that, too is part of our history. Mr. Quigley didn't see fit to mention that context. I wonder why?

Glock 23's full auto? Mr. Quigley is a journalist and lawyer and does not know that the SEMI-automatic Glock 23 is a common choice for law enforcement? How strange.

Books and treatises on the law? Perhaps it is in Mr. Quigley's interest to make sure potential customers are as ignorant in the law as possible.

This is why so many think "lawyer" sounds very much like "liar."

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    To quote Ronald Reagan "It isn't Liberals are ignorant.It's just that they know so much that isn't so." And this story proves Reagan was right. :patriot:

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    He should be tested for drugs b4 being allowed to post stories like this in a news-paper.... What a crock. Hell I wish the gun show was bigger with competitions and good food.

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Emails sent. The main point of the article i do not have a problem with. That point i think was lack of back ground checks for private sellers. I have no problem with this as many of you don't since we are all law abiding citizens. All that other BS was total ignorant. I can not believe he cant even get the Glock statement right. That to me discredits his whole article because hell you can google that in 1 minutes.

I most certainly do have a problem with requiring background checks for all purchases.

:twocents:

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    WOW!!!! $100 full auto Glock 23's. I will take 5 :shoot:

What an idiot. I could go on forever about this guy but the other people on this forum have done the job for me. Stay safe out there guy's. We are surrounded by left wing liberals everywhere.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I emailed him and he actual responded. Why do you have a problem with all back ground checks. I do not have a problem with them at all, they take 5 minutes and i will pass every time.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I wish people who respond to trash reporting would themselves verify their "facts". As I remember it, the firearms used in the Columbine shootings were straw purchases. The person who did the purchase went through all the legal channels that you or I would go through when buying a firearm from a dealer. Unfortunately after the sale, she gave the firearms to those two jerks who then turned them into instruments of destruction.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I emailed him and he actual responded. Why do you have a problem with all back ground checks. I do not have a problem with them at all, they take 5 minutes and i will pass every time.

I'm glad that you found a friend but that doesn't explain his outright lies and misrepresentation of fact for pure sensationalism in the rest of the article :rolleyes:

Top Bottom