• ...and so much more!
  • EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Hi All,
    I'm in need of a scope for my SHTF rifle and, given my budget, I've narrowed the choice down to two:

Vortex PST 1-4x: $480
    Weaver Tactical 1-5x: $600

They both have their good points. The weaver offers slightly higher magnification, dual illumination (red and green), it's first-focal plane and, if what I've read is true, has better glass. However the reticle seems half-baked. The vortex on the other hand has a reticle that makes more sense but it's lower magnification and it's 2nd-focal plane.

Versatility is the driving force for what I'm looking for. If you have any experience with either of these please give me your feedback. If you have any other suggestions that are superior to these two, keeping in mind my roughly $600 budget, please add them to the list along with what you believe makes them better than the ones I've picked.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i dont have any expreriance with the weaver tactical 1-5. i do have experiance with other weaver tacticals and i really dont believe the glass is as good much less better. but it does have 1x exrta on the top end.

i currently run a pst 1-4. if you ask anyone who knows me im a ffp nut. i have a ffp 4-16 on my personal 22lr. however i dont see the benifit of ffp on a scope like the 1-4. in real life a 1-4 scope is on either 1 or 4. there is very little need for 2x or 3x. i would assume with the weaver you would rearly use 2x, 3x, 4x,. this is why on a scope like these i dont see the benifit of ffp and i actually see it as a downside as the reticle on 1x could very easily be to small to use. the main benifits to a ffp on a larger scope is ranging and holdover on any power setting. in real life i doubt you will be shooting far enough to range on anything but 4x, and if your shooting far enough to need holdovers i would also assume you are on 4x. the reticle on the pst 1-4 is correct on 4x so as long as you range and use holdovers at the max power setting then the ffp is negated.

that said the exception to the above logic is if you mounting it on somthing like a 9mm ar that drops alot well within 100 yds.

also keep inmind quality rings. the pst leaves you room within your budget for quality rings, the weaver does not.

im a vortex dealer so obviously my opinion may be biased. that said i gave the same advise on this forum and others many years before i turned it into a business. if you would like to talk about your options feel free to pm me, email me alan@aaoptics.com, or call me at 765-580-0986. ive sold quite a few pst 1-4's on this forum so hopfully those members will chime in with their experiance's

TRL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Hendricks Co.
    Evil,

Just bought the 1-4 pst and so far I am very happy with it. I have never looked at the Weaver line but for the cost of that you have listed you can have the pst and a quick release mount for a few bucks more. For my money the 5x is not going to sell me. I have had BSA, Redfield, Nikon, Simons and a few other mid line scopes and so far for me the PST looks better than most any other i have mounted at this time. The illumination is great so far, day/night and the 1-4 I beleive is enough for shots out to what i am going to shoot it at, 0 - 500 yd. I have read post about out to 700 + yds with this model with hits.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I would go with either the PST or look for a good condition used on SampleList (or similar site.)

I really like Weaver's glass, but the reticle is just too far off any standard for my taste (I would have been far happier if they had just gone w/ 2.5mil increments like Leupold's SPR)

Re: SampleList, a couple of items that jumped out:

- I know it is slightly above your price point @ $650 and has some wear, but the SS 1-4x w/ HD glass gets pretty good reviews.

- Again, up at $650 but rated in cleaner condition is this Trijicon 1-4x

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I just bought a pair of the Vortex PST 1-4's for my .223 and .300 Blackout AR's, and they are AMAZING. Bought them from Alan at A&A, great service, and really, these scopes are the clearest optics I've seen in their price range. Big +1 for the PST's.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    1-4xPST in my opinion.
    Reason #1 price. The magnification from 4-5 is not worth $180 to me. Your using it as a SHTF rifle. Your not just punching paper so I think it would be negligible. In SHTF scenario your hunting. Also, you still have room to buy some sort of mount, the PST leaves $180 already budgeted in.

Reason #2 Reticle. I run my PST on an AR. Most of the time it's on 1x. I prefer the larger donut. The one reticle for the weaver has a small donut the other reticles don't have one. The SFP vs FFP have already been mentioned and I agree with Alan.

that's all I have to say about that

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Has anyone had a problem with the uncapped PST turrets losing zero? I'd lean toward the HS (vs the PST) version of the scope because of the capped turrets. Unfortunately they're hard to find.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Has anyone had a problem with the uncapped PST turrets losing zero? I'd lean toward the HS (vs the PST) version of the scope because of the capped turrets. Unfortunately they're hard to find.

I can't get to the link on my phone but go to the vortex site and watch the video about the PST zerostop. That video will show how positive and audible the clicks are. It's near impossible to adjust the turret on accedent

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Don't they now do the PST as a capped MOA (or are those not out yet?)

Edit: never mind, I just noticed they are not due out until the fall.

they are actually the old viper hs 1-4. vortex just wanted to change the name so the discontinued the viper hs 1-4 and introducted the pst 1-4. the last shipment of viper hs 1-4 is already gone from all dealers to the best of my knowlege. the new capped pst is expected in about 3 months. currently the 1-4 pst has exposed turrets. they are the same turrets on your 2.5-10 so they are very firm and are not going to be accedentally bumped

Top Bottom