• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have a couple 10 oz silver bars that I would like to trade into something a little more "portable". I would like to swap them in for 1 oz rounds, is there anywhere on the north side of Indy I can do that?

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Out by the Pyramids there is a coin shop. I dunno if they would do just an even swap out of the kindness of their hearts...there might be a fee or something. Plus Indiana charges sales tax on PMs.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Out by the Pyramids there is a coin shop. I dunno if they would do just an even swap out of the kindness of their hearts...there might be a fee or something. Plus Indiana charges sales tax on PMs.

Rounds carry a slightly higher premium than bars, so there will be a discrepancy. Not to mention the dealer will want to make a profit.

If you were closer I'd offer to buy a couple from you, buying strait out is a better route as unless teh dealer already has a buyer for the bars, they want to make profit on both sides and bars 'sit' longer on the shelf than rounds... typically.

If you find yourself up in NW Indiana get in contact with me.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    if you want something more easily divisible dont forget about 90% silver, dimes quarters and havles pre-65 are .723oz/dollar (commonly accepted at .715 due to wear) and dollars are .77344oz, close to $14 face value in change or $13 in silver dollars

that is all premiums aside, the halves and smaller are generally available around spot so you can probably get an even trade with them, dollars have a bit of a premium

orlandosam

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    why silver?

Not to derail the thread but when the SHTF, a brick of 22 LR will be much more valuable then silver? even gold will have minimal value. Did anyone hear Dave Ramsey on the radio today?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Not to derail the thread but when the SHTF, a brick of 22 LR will be much more valuable then silver? even gold will have minimal value. Did anyone hear Dave Ramsey on the radio today?

Because SHTF is highly variable in definition, scope, and timeframe.

Unless SHTF is obvious, universal, and nearly instantaneous (matter of days to a week), there will be, for some amount of time, many who will continue to value silver over 22LR (or any other caliber).

Your point, however, is well taken. The worth of ANY thing (gold, guns, silver, food) is subjective.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I see silver's true value coming in AFTER SHTF is over and the rebuilding starts. True, you can't eat silver and gold. Clothes, food, water, etc will all be valuable. Heck, salt used to be an incredibly valuable commodity.

But when things stabilize, silver and gold always rise in the re-establishment of civilization (whatever the new form of "civilization" is.)

Bottom line...you need food, supplies AND silver. I'm fully aware of Dave Ramsey's position on gold/silver. I agree that they aren't historically good investments. But they are historically GREAT insurance for unstable financial systems.

I'll let you decide if our financial system is stable or not :)

StrayDog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    South West
    These are good points to consider. I too am sitting on a few ten oz. bars, and have considered converting them into something more liquid. I realize I am hurting my buying power for necessary supplies. I figure that I already have it though, and it's not hurting me by sitting there. If I never need it, great. If I do need it, great.

I am also a fan of Dave Ramsey, but I don't think he has SHTF included in his advice..

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    There is a lot of debate on exactly WHAT form of silver (or other precious metals) to store. Many preppers go with the 90% junk silver in the form of pre-65 coins. It is easily divisible, easily recognizable and relatively cheap, i.e., it doesn't command the premium of other silver bullion. The drawback is there will be an educational process during the initial bartering stages where many sheeple may not know that the 2009 dime they have in their pocket and the 1962 dime in your pocket are not equal in value. It also takes a little bit of math. Example: $1,000 face value of 90% silver has approximately 715 ounces of silver in it. The correlation is $10 face value of 90% has 7.15 ounces of silver. So then, $10 face value of pre-65 roll of dimes would be work $132.28 today (7.15 ounces x $18.50/ounce) Convincing sheeple of this fact may be hard initially.

Silver bars and rounds are generally marked in weight and purity so, as long as you believe that they are not counterfeit, the value is easily recognizable and calculable. The drawback is that they are not easily divisible.

Probably best to have a little of everything.

I'm currently looking for 10 ounce bars, so if any of you guys want to sell them or trade them for 90% or something, PM me.

One of the best forums for current gold/silver information is goldismoney.info

Get all you can, can all you get and sit on the can. Good luck!

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have kicked the idea around some about silver or gold but lately I have been having to much fun watching the interest rates on my IRA's drop and my 401k disappear. Now that is intertainment! :yesway:
    Some silver would be good, may need it for bullets and some wood stakes so we can take out the Monsters out east?

Top Bottom