• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Okay, I finally got it together and did a quick bead blast. I'm going to take to my friends in OH this weekend and see how it does. I've shot it before and it's a tack driver but I fit a new ejector so I want to run some rounds through it. So far it's turned out really well for an old Series 70. I have the stock safety fitted as well as this EGW extended safety that is on it in the pictures. These are awesome safeties and probably my go to safety from now on, they are rock solid with a lot of material to shape them any way you want. What's been done: welded and refit slide/frame, cut for heinie rear sight and novak front, 30 lpi frontstrap insert welded and dressed, beveled mag well, lowered and faired ejection port, 30 lpi mainspring housing, Ed Brown ignition parts and solid trigger. I also did the usual carry bevel and reliability tuning etc. Oh, and Kart barrel. Sorry for the bad pics but no time for a photo shoot. If it shoots alright then it's off to AllenM for refinishing.

002-13_zps4ff92621.jpg

003-12_zps1d55a99d.jpg

005-7_zpsfc3ee96b.jpg

006-4_zps4d8373b2.jpg

007-5_zpsf7e70773.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Okay, I finally got it together and did a quick bead blast. I'm going to take to my friends in OH this weekend and see how it does. I've shot it before and it's a tack driver but I fit a new ejector so I want to run some rounds through it. So far it's turned out really well for an old Series 70. I have the stock safety fitted as well as this EGW extended safety that is on it in the pictures. These are awesome safeties and probably my go to safety from now on, they are rock solid with a lot of material to shape them any way you want. What's been done: welded and refit slide/frame, cut for heinie rear sight and novak front, 30 lpi frontstrap insert welded and dressed, beveled mag well, lowered and faired ejection port, 30 lpi mainspring housing, Ed Brown ignition parts and solid trigger. I also did the usual carry bevel and reliability tuning etc. Oh, and Kart barrel. Sorry for the bad pics but no time for a photo shoot. If it shoots alright then it's off to AllenM for refinishing.

Which Ed Brown safety is that? I looked at one and when I checked the measurements against the one on my SA Loaded, they measured out the same. 1/4" w X 1" long. I need to take the roughness off mine, but I think it is nickel coated and I am not sure what will happen to it. I wouldn't mind having one that is a little wider for my thumb to rest on.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Which Ed Brown safety is that? I looked at one and when I checked the measurements against the one on my SA Loaded, they measured out the same. 1/4" w X 1" long. I need to take the roughness off mine, but I think it is nickel coated and I am not sure what will happen to it. I wouldn't mind having one that is a little wider for my thumb to rest on.

It does look a lot like an Ed Brown but it is made by Evolution Gun Works (EGW). It is a bar stock part and very high quality. The lever comes fairly wide so you can keep it as is or trim it down a few serrations width as I did. It comes in blue or stainless, with the stainless you can do all the adjustments you need and then repolish or just bead blast. Some of the parts on the SS SA loaded's are flash chromed so if you file on them and try to polish them out you will be down to carbon steel. The safeties look like they are SS to me but i'm not sure.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It does look a lot like an Ed Brown but it is made by Evolution Gun Works (EGW). It is a bar stock part and very high quality. The lever comes fairly wide so you can keep it as is or trim it down a few serrations width as I did. It comes in blue or stainless, with the stainless you can do all the adjustments you need and then repolish or just bead blast. Some of the parts on the SS SA loaded's are flash chromed so if you file on them and try to polish them out you will be down to carbon steel. The safeties look like they are SS to me but i'm not sure.

Thanks. I will look them up. I do believe that the slide stop and thumb safety and maybe a few other parts are "flash" chromed. I think they advertise something like that and they are much shinier than the other SS parts. I am thinking about having it CeraKoted anyway when I am done with my mods.

Last edited:

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    Very impressive, nice job. However, it seems like you have too much freetime. I know of a sickly nickel Colt 70 series (w/failed engraving) which would like to help you with that :).

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I got it back today from AllenM with a new cerakote refinish. Looks like a matte blue in person with a little sheen to it, very happy with the refinish. Hard to believe that the checkering is actual a welded in insert!

001-13.jpg

003-12.jpg

004-10.jpg

006-4.jpg

007-5.jpg

009-2.jpg

011-3.jpg

014-2.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm not even a 1911 guy, but that is now a fine looking pistol. Looks like Allen did a good job on the finish, and your work looks great as well.

Top Bottom