• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I realized a short while ago that I was making all these plans to get firearm training this year, but I wasn't doing enough about training my body. If I had to run from someone, or run after someone, I'd make it a couple of dozen strides and then would start to be winded. For me, that's unacceptable. What if someone snatched my niece at the park, and I couldn't run after them because I haven't taken care of myself?

The point of this thread is for people to realize the importance of physical fitness, and post their fitness goals and fitness routines. I'm hoping that it gets a good following, and we can all encourage each other as we pursue our goals. Here's my fitness plan.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Spinning class at the Fisher's YMCA at 6:15 to 7:00.

Tuesday, Thursday: Weight workout and running at Fisher's YMCA after work:

Saturday: Weight workout and running at Fisher's YMCA in the morning.

On top of this, on the days I do my spinning class, I'm going to be adding some body weight exercises in the evenings before bed. I found these good plans; 100 push-ups, 200 sit-ups, and 200 squats.

My fitness goals are to lose 45-50 pounds (seven pounds down so far), be able to run a half marathon by October, and complete the 100 push-up, 200 sit-ups, and 200 squats plans by July 4.

What plans/goals do you have?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    well, I'll be having a knee scope in March, then a partial knee replacement a few month later... so my cardio (jogging and basketball) will be replaced by the elyptical/bicycle/swimming.

I will be doing P90X again, using the strength training and AB-RipperX parts, replacing the cardio days with the above.

My doc wants me down to 200 by the time I get the partial replacement surgery done.... so I've got about six months to drop 50 pounds.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I realized a short while ago that I was making all these plans to get firearm training this year, but I wasn't doing enough about training my body. If I had to run from someone, or run after someone, I'd make it a couple of dozen strides and then would start to be winded. For me, that's unacceptable. What if someone snatched my niece at the park, and I couldn't run after them because I haven't taken care of myself?

The point of this thread is for people to realize the importance of physical fitness, and post their fitness goals and fitness routines. I'm hoping that it gets a good following, and we can all encourage each other as we pursue our goals. Here's my fitness plan.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Spinning class at the Fisher's YMCA at 6:15 to 7:00.

Tuesday, Thursday: Weight workout and running at Fisher's YMCA after work:

Saturday: Weight workout and running at Fisher's YMCA in the morning.

On top of this, on the days I do my spinning class, I'm going to be adding some body weight exercises in the evenings before bed. I found these good plans; 100 push-ups, 200 sit-ups, and 200 squats.

My fitness goals are to lose 45-50 pounds (seven pounds down so far), be able to run a half marathon by October, and complete the 100 push-up, 200 sit-ups, and 200 squats plans by July 4.

What plans/goals do you have?

I've been existing on a basic regimen for the past couple months. between sickness and winter lock in it's been hard to do a whole lot.
    I do situps about twice a week.
    pushups every couple days
    elliptical right now; but, I love to run and can't wait for 30 and above! I plan on being able to run at least 6 miles a couple times a week by the end of May at most. I want to at least get to where I was before winter and this 2 months of PLAGUE i've had! :)::yesway::patriot:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I cycle a lot in the Summer. Right now, my regimen is 60 minutes of Spinning at the Jordan Y twice per week, and 30 minutes running on my treadmill twice per week. It would be very good for me to squeeze some weight lifting in there but I am having a hard time making it happen.

Just a thought that was helpful to me in thinking about fitness: I saw this in a journal article - defining physical fitness in 5 major domains:
    1) aerobic capacity (cardio/endurance)
    2) strength
    3) body composition (lean/fat)
    4) flexibility
    5) balance/coordination

That order is probably a pretty accurate depiction of where I am (#1 being the area where I am best and #5 where I need the most work).

It is an interesting thing that you very rarely meet people who are strong in all 5 areas of fitness. Most guys tend to work on the thing they're already good at, and ignore/avoid challenging their weak areas. For example, I see a lot of overweight inflexibile guys hefting big time weight at the Y. Cardio/aerobic is already my best area, and yet it's the area I am devoting the most of my exercise time (to the detriment of other areas that really need attention!).

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Started training for the Mini in December. I ran the Bop to the Top in January and am currently running 20-25 miles a week. Also am doing 2-3 days a week of strength training for cross training purposes.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I need to figure out away to get in shape on the road. I am always on the go and never know where I will be so I have not joined a gym but I am 221 and I want to get down to 180. 40 pounds somehow I need to get this done.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    I exercise consistently, but what I do varies quite a bit from workout to workout. Recently, I've been maxing out the level on the elliptical and doing 20-25 minutes, and it's surprisingly strenuous.

My weight goal is to maintain 8±1 % bodyfat while not dropping below 160 lbs; ever since I started running, I've lost a lot of muscle, and I don't want to lose more. I hope to reach 19:00 or less in the 3 mi. by August 13th and hit 400 lb raw deadlift in the near future.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Started training for the Mini in December. I ran the Bop to the Top in January and am currently running 20-25 miles a week. Also am doing 2-3 days a week of strength training for cross training purposes.

Sounds like me in my 30's. Triathlons, lotsa running, biking and swimming.

I hate you now. ;)

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Sounds like me in my 30's. Triathlons, lotsa running, biking and swimming.

I hate you now. ;)

I'm in my mid 40's, ran 5 half's, 3 sprint tri's, one half IM, and an ultra last year. I'm not skinny, not fast, am at the YMCA when they open 2 days a week. Don't hate us, join us.

Two more ultras this year, and a bunch of half's and two full marathons. I wan to do a century ride, and qualify for boston by 2012.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Strength and endurance training helps in keeping
    balance and mental sharpness as well.

Losing weight without workouts is possible with just a change in diet.

Strenous workouts just makes it happen much quicker,
    tones the muscle, and generally make a person feel better about themself.

Set a reasonable goal, reach it and raise the bar to the next level.

We can all make excuses. ( I do )

Last week, I noticed a girl roll her wheelchair from the snow covered parking lot
    into the gym that I frequent and started her workout.

And I had debated on going because it was cold outside.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Losing weight without workouts is possible with just a change in diet.

I would say that dietary change is the key to weight loss. I don't think it's possible to lose weight purely by exercise. There simply isn't enough time in the day to exercise enough to make up for a 6,000 kCal milk shake.

Exercise + diet change = best chance for success
    Diet change alone = possible success
    Exercise alone = FAIL

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    antsi,

It depends a lot on the persons metabolism and the desired outcome. I have a troop that could possibly eat 10000 kCal a day and still not gain weight. I also have another who is eating 7500 kCal a day to put on mass and bulk.

But for the most part you are right both must be done for success...

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I used to be on a strict weight schedule for years. My lifting partner and I tried to isolate muscle groups based on day of week, and it worked very well. Aside from the weight training, we played basketball 3-4 times a week for a heavy cardio workout. We would play for hours upon hours.

Mondays - Chest and Triceps (Heavy weight day)
    Tuesdays - Back and Biceps (Shoulders also) (Heavey weight day)
    Wednesdays - Legs w/ mild cardio
    Thursdays - Chest and Tri's (Lighter and More Reps)
    Fridays - Back and Bi's (Lighter and More Reps)
    Choice of Sat or Sun - Legs w/ mild cardio

I have since gotten lazy and have been struggling to get back into this routine. I still play basketball once or twice per week, and lift maybe once per week. But hitting the weights for 45 minutes every day is hard with a young family. I think the number one success/failure indicator is having a partner that depends on you showing up. If not, who holds you accountable?

I am also trying to quit smoking....which should be my number one goal. My resistance comes and goes and it is a constant struggle, but I am working on it. Quite possibly one of the hardest things I've tried to do. It is a complete lifestyle change.

I have been wondering about P90X, and have seen it mentioned on INGO on several occasions. Does it work? Any success stories that someone would like to share?

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    it works. It does help if you aren't 100 pounds over weight, but I went through a round when it first came out and I can tell you it's a great workout.

For those just a little overweight or out of shape, the results can be huge!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    5-6 days a week I hike a 50-55lb pack to the top of my ridge and back (220' elevation gain, 1.1 mile round trip on uneven terrain). From March until November I ride the bike 7 miles on major hilly roads 4-5 days a week. Plus I am working out at the ranch doing farm chores and a couple of times a week I have other extensive flexibility, strength, and endurance training for 2-5 hours at a time.

I always lose a little this time of year because I cannot stand exercising indoors.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My brother is a fan of P90X. Couple with a change in diet he lost 30 lbs.!

After suffering last 2009 with the steroid injections which did nothing for my girlish figure, I am back on the treadmill and lifting light weights. I go to yoga twice or thrice a week. Yoga is good for us aging desk jockeys as it keeps me flexible so I can do other stuff. I just don't want the "old man shuffle".

Here's where I've done yoga since 2003: Sunshine Yoga & Fitness - Lafayette, IN

I am also a big fan of rossboxing.com workouts. We do a lot of Ross's exercises in Wing Chun as a circuit or stations, e.g. jump rope, then beat the tire with a sledgehammer, etc.

Something else we do in Wing Chun is the deck of cards work out. Each suit is a different exercise and ace to king is 1 to 13 reps.

Here's the work out for this afternoon:

Heart: burpee, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burpee_(exercise)
    Diamond: Hindu push ups, Hindu pushups
    Clubs: crickets, in downward dog, pull your left foot up to your right hand and then alternate
    Spades: jumping jacks (multiply the card by x2, e.g. 8 of spades is 16 jumping jacks

After the cards, I do 45 minutes on the stairmaster.

When the weather is better, I like long hikes with weight (pack, a weight vest or I take a chest pouch with loaded AR15 mags).

When I was younger I wanted to be the strong guy, now I want to be the healthy guy.:D

Last edited:

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I plan on running 2 mile in 10 minutes and do 150 pushups and 200 situps in one sitting. Free weight training is a bit easier since I work night shift now at a sit down all by myself type of job but getting running time is going to be tough.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Here's the plan I came up with based on the info at the USMC's OCS site: My Life as a Marine Pilot: Pre-OCS Physical Fitness Program

Of course, when I told my OSO about the plan I devised, he told me to just forget about that stuff and follow the plans they posted on their website. Click --> United States Marine Corps

I was doing pretty well until I got back at school after Christmas break; just never picked up my schedule again. :( But it's all moot if I can't get my degree finished, so that's what I'm focusing on for now.

Top Bottom