• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I'm getting ready to relocate PVC water pipes that run along the ceiling in my house. I'm going to try using PEX, which I've never messed with.

I'm planning to run through the crawl instead of the attic (where they are close to now).

At the same time, I want to rotate my water heater, which, due to the same "renovations" that put water pipes in plain sight, is currently facing the back wall of the closet and I have a heating element out.

Any advice from the experienced on either task before I dive in saturday morning?
    (Besides "shut the water off first") :)

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    I have found that pex quick connect fittings are terrible:noway:. In the long run, you would probably be better off with pvc or copper.. just my :twocents:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I have found that pex quick connect fittings are terrible:noway:. In the long run, you would probably be better off with pvc or copper.. just my :twocents:

Really? IANAPlumber/contractor/etc, my only experience with any of it was redoing a bunch of my own, but I *love* PEX. It's only been in... oh, 5-6 years now, but so far, zero problems and it was VERY easy to work with. In my VERY limited experience with anything related to plumbing, I'm a fan.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    Those PEX connectors are expensive! I just dont see the need for the added cost of PEX vs. CPVC. CPVC is cheap for the fittings, pipe and the glue/primer.

Pex is a replacement for copper not pvc. Pex with fittings is much cheaper, faster, and more reliable. I am a plumber/ carpenter and i made the switch four years ago. I dk everything i can to avoid copper.

As far as cpvc goes: i would never put that in any house. It breaks very easy. Pex will freeze and expand to ten times its original size without bursting. ( i didnt believe it till i tested it myself)

Op just follow the directions, its very simple. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Just after I closed on my house some one broke in and stole all my copper. Had to replace it all. I used pex. 0 problems so far, had it 3 years. Great thing is, its "worthless"people won't steal it.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    check with local codes for water heater connections. Most of them require 18" of copper exiting the tank (to avoid melting anything) before switching to PEX or something similar.

IANAplumber but I've read alot on the internet

Quick connect PEX fittings are shady at best and 'can' leak. They have more permanent PEX fittings that can be used as well. FWIW

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    pex is the only way i will plumb anymore

This post says it all.

Yea, there is some initial up front cost. The crimp tool the rings, and the fittings. Nice thing is the fittings can be reused, but like it was posted earlier, i'd stay away from the sharkbites if you can.

blurr95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    If you can get it, go wit the Wirsbo brand pex. They are the original. This brand is they only kind of pex that is approved for use in hospitals, and is very good and super east to work with. They have plastic or brass fittings, the plastic ones work just fine, I used them in my house when we built it, going on 5 years without any problems. The only down side is the tool to make the joints. It is expensive, about $300, but worth it. you will have to get this kind from a supply house, Lowes and Menards don't carry it. I got my stuff from Mechanical supply here in Terre Haute. I work for a local contracter that has a large pluming and fitting department, and all the plumbers I talked to about it, said this was the best type to get. They said the joints were tighter and better than other brands. Make sure you support it every 2-4 feet, especially the hot side. I ran a manifold system also, so I can isolate each fixture if need be and still have water every were else.

Jason

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    And I did this to my whole house with CPVC and it cost me less than the $300 you pay for the tool for PEX.

Nobody has mentioned a valid reason to even use PEX over CPVC. CPVC has been in my house since 11/2010. There was CPVC in the house before that but the house had froze up winter 2009 because it had sat empty and unheated.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    And I did this to my whole house with CPVC and it cost me less than the $300 you pay for the tool for PEX.

Nobody has mentioned a valid reason to even use PEX over CPVC. CPVC has been in my house since 11/2010. There was CPVC in the house before that but the house had froze up winter 2009 because it had sat empty and unheated.

The OP seemed to indicate that he's using pex and looking for tips or tricks, not that he was deciding whether to use cpvc or pex. Maybe I misunderstood, though.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've repaired numerous leaks on cpvc where the joints came loose. Never had to on copper or pex.

If cpvc was a good option, contractors would use it, save a bunch of money, and charge home owners copper/pex prices.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Actually the freeze (expansion) tolerance of PEX was mentioned on page 1. Had your house originally been plumbed in PEX, the freeze in winter 2009 wouldn't have hurt your plumbing.

My house is CPVC built in 2005 and I've had numerous leaks develop in the 3 years I've lived here and I can see multiple places where the walls were cut open and repaired presumably to fix other leaks in the CPVC plumbing...

BuckeyeBrad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    THE Ville
    There are actually two different type of pex systems you can choose. One you have the already mentioned crimp method and also you have the expansion method which is mainly with Wirsbo. I like the theory behind the expansion fittings but the crimp style is definitely faster and easier. Pex is truly an awesome product. You can kink it in half, heat it up , and you are good to go

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Pex has it's advantages but one of it' shortcomings is the inside fittings for the tubing. The fittings inserted inside the tubing reduces volume. 1/2" tubing with a 1/2" fitting inserted reduces the volume to the fixtures being served. Just something to keep in mind.

mschlatter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    In the Barn
    Pex is awesome. If you are going from existing PVC or copper there are plenty of shark fittings to convert to pex. Not the cheapest but easy and reliable.

Top Bottom