• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I am not a good enough shot to count on a single stack weapon.;)

For realz? I just feel better having the extra rounds and the better shootability of a mid sized blaster. That new 4 inch XDS is intriguing though. Except for that dang grip safety.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    He lost me with the line, "The days of the .45 ACP and the Magnum revolver being the image of defensive handguns are gone. I agree that there are some great small size 9mm and .380 caliber handguns, but to totally disregard .45acp and magnum calibers is just ignorant if you ask me. Many police departments are switching to these calibers because they are more effective.

Not trying to start another caliber debate here. :horse:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    He lost me with the line, "The days of the .45 ACP and the Magnum revolver being the image of defensive handguns are gone. I agree that there are some great small size 9mm and .380 caliber handguns, but to totally disregard .45acp and magnum calibers is just ignorant if you ask me. Many police departments are switching to these calibers because they are more effective.

Not trying to start another caliber debate here. :horse:

I knew that would rile some. If you think about it though, what he says is correct. I am not saying those guns are not better, just that with the average modern gun toter they are becoming less popular.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    He brings up some valid points with the amount of new shooters coming into the fold. A lot of them have no idea who Dirty Harry is, lol.

I am still learning, but for the most part I agree with most of the points he makes. However, I see no problem with carrying larger caliber firearms if the person carrying them is proficient with the use of it.

Thanks for posting it. I don't get a lot of opportunity to read stuff online so when you guys link articles to INGO, I get to do some additional reading!

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I knew that would rile some. If you think about it though, what he says is correct. I am not saying those guns are not better, just that with the average modern gun toter they are becoming less popular.

I agree they are becoming less popular, but I think the reasons behind that have nothing to do with the bullet themselves. I think you have ammo cost plays a large role into this, more women shooters, and size. If people want a very small purse/pocket gun, 9mm or 380 is definitely the way to go. But when it comes to holster carry, I know just as many .45acp people as I do 9mm people.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    10+1 capacity? I wouldn't know what to do with one of those new fangled "high capacity" pistols.

Setting bias aside, the modern 9mm really does offer the best combination of shootability, power, cost and effectiveness for the novice shooter. There are a lot of new shooters out there and 9mm is a great place to start.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, until he said "striker fired", a Colt Commander in .38 Super would have met his criteria as "the perfect carry gun", if one chose to carry with the thumb safety off :)

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    A very well written story. For the most part, I agree with much of what he wrote. The average new gun owner will probably only every own one gun and that will be some small or midsized handgun. And, much as I know this will draw fire down on me, the big calibers he mentioned will not be those chosen by said new gun owners. Most will never practice enough to get anything other that proficient (if that), let alone practice with a Model 29 and full power magnum loads.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    [FONT=verb_regularregular]The days of the .45 ACP and the Magnum revolver being the image of defensive handguns are gone.[/FONT]

Huh. Well, I'm currently qualified on a .45 and three .357 revolvers. I must have missed the memo.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Just goes to show that a carry weapon is a very personal choice. His criteria work for him. While I agree with many of his points, there is no one gun that will work for everyone. I don't prefer a single stack and definitely not a striker fired weapon. To each his/her own.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I am not a good enough shot to count on a single stack weapon.;)

For realz? I just feel better having the extra rounds and the better shootability of a mid sized blaster. That new 4 inch XDS is intriguing though. Except for that dang grip safety.

I didn't think the 3.3" xds9 was a viable option, until I shot one. Amazing accuracy, glock-ish trigger, and the grip safety.. yeah, its a failure point, but you don't even notice it while shooting. YMMV. Great small option.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just goes to show that a carry weapon is a very personal choice. His criteria work for him. While I agree with many of his points, there is no one gun that will work for everyone. I don't prefer a single stack and definitely not a striker fired weapon. To each his/her own.

We know for firearms to land in your safe they have to be made by Česká zbrojovka Uherský Brod! lol.

I keep thinking I'll run into you at Applied. We should meet up again. I try to go most Saturday's for a 1/2 hour anyway.

Top Bottom