person closes off his private road, motorists upset.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    One of the conditions of "adverse possession" in Indiana is that you have to pay the property taxes. Could be Duke was attempting a "taking". I myself used that alleyway to get to the business park back when I worked there. It was convenient, but it's his land.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    One of the conditions of "adverse possession" in Indiana is that you have to pay the property taxes. Could be Duke was attempting a "taking". I myself used that alleyway to get to the business park back when I worked there. It was convenient, but it's his land.

But simply paying the property taxes wouldn't be enough, would it? Because I'm going to start paying the taxes on my neighbors' properties and get some breathing room if that's the case.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm guessing he was FORCED to "sell" that acreage for the million plus. So if he's angry about imminent domain, then I understand where he's coming from.

"We're all inconvenienced" Boo Effing Hooo. Find a different job or a different place to drive. THey're just mad because what they thought was their little secret to be sneaky is taken away from them. You know they think this too because if EVERYONE knew about the shortcut, it would be congested too.

I say good for the old guy. I'm pretty sure Tom Wood Audi makes enough money that they can build a new road.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'm guessing he was FORCED to "sell" that acreage for the million plus. So if he's angry about imminent domain, then I understand where he's coming from.

Sounds like it to me.

1.6 million for that property was way low for fair market value... 4 years ago. Right now, I'd say it probably is FMV.

Motorists can get over it, someone said entitlement. Big +1

No one respects property rights anymore :xmad:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong, but it certainly doesn't look like his back yard; I don't even see any houses.:dunno:

It's without a doubt his choice to do this, but he definitely seems like a miserable old man that wants some company.

My "backyard" comment was meant as an analogy. Some of the people in the story were complaining about how it was an inconvenience to him. Well, it's his property. If it were their property, i.e. their backyard, how would they feel? I agree that it doesn't look like much and that he may be a bit grumpy.

Still, good for him and boohoo to all the whiners.

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    How long til the city forces him off his land?

His land, his right. If he wants to build a 30 foot barbed wire fence around it, Ill support him.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    But simply paying the property taxes wouldn't be enough, would it? Because I'm going to start paying the taxes on my neighbors' properties and get some breathing room if that's the case.

No, there are other requirements as well. IANAL, but another condition is that the use by the adverse possessor must be "notorious" (i.e., not hidden), and must be uninterrupted for either 10 or 15 years, and the rightful owner cannot have taken any steps to stop it. It's also a simle matter to block, by simply giving "permission" but NOT ownership to the person using the property. I'm sure there are other things...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    And I have a hard time believing Duke thought they could just take ownership simply by paying the property taxes. That one sounds fishy.

No, there are other requirements as well. IANAL, but another condition is that the use by the adverse possessor must be "notorious" (i.e., not hidden), and must be uninterrupted for either 10 or 15 years, and the rightful owner cannot have taken any steps to stop it. It's also a simle matter to block, by simply giving "permission" but NOT ownership to the person using the property. I'm sure there are other things...

Rockhopper46038 just about got it right.

In order to "take over" a property in Indiana that does not belong to you.

1) You must pay the property tax (provided the original owner is NOT)
    2) You must live on the property for 10+ years
    3) You living on the property is not "hidden" (ie. you build a shack, cabin, being to use the existing bldg, etc..) from the public
    4) The rightful owner never did anything to toss you off (ie. documenation of taking you to court, cops called, etc..)

After 10 years you can petition the county for the property as it has been abondend by the owner and you have proof of paying taxes and using it.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVISE BTW AND IANAL. But this is about the right summation of how it is done.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    If I was that old coot, I'd build an outdoor rifle range on the vacant property near the highway, and all shooting would be south to north, with the impact area being Tom Woods place.

Top Bottom