• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    First of all, there is no "permit" or "CCW" in Indiana.

We have an Indiana License to Carry Handgun. Anyone who is a legal resident of Indiana, 18 or older, and who is not disqualified because of a criminal record or adjudication of mental illness can get one.

If you have a license or permit from your home state or country, it is valid here in Indiana until you establish residency. Then you can get your Indiana License.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I fully understand that we are a right to carry state and that makes our permit carry license )whatever that little pink piece of paper that LEO's what to see) and not a CCW Permit. i have carried for about 15 years.

Let me put it in a plainer language. My wife is a German citizen with no desire to become a US citizen. She holds no Permit in her home country. It is a very expensive ordeal to go through just wanting to shoot a firearm, not even coughting owning it in Germany. She holds a Resident Alien visa. What are the Residency requirements for our state in regards to appling for her carry permit.

INJoker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Jeremy,

There are provisions written into the Indiana Code that allow for persons who are not residents of Indiana but who have legitimate business here (say, they live and work here or just work here) to apply for a permit through your local police chief.

In my area, I would think your situation could be accommodated. Unfortunately, the information regarding this issue is pretty sparse and "resident aliens" without U.S. citizenship are not mentioned anywhere that I see.

Call your local PD and explain the situation. I'll do some asking around as well.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Does she live in Indiana? Is she a permanent resident alien(green card)? Is she otherwise eligible to possess a firearm (no felony conviction, etc.). I don't see anything that would prevent her from being issued a license.

This is the provision that applies:

(e) If it appears to the superintendent that the applicant:
    (1) has a proper reason for carrying a handgun;
    (2) is of good character and reputation;
    (3) is a proper person to be licensed; and
    (4) is:
    (A) a citizen of the United States; or
    (B) not a citizen of the United States but is allowed to carry a firearm in the United States under federal law;

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The reason I am asking here and not contacting my local sherriff is their website is not very user friendly. I am currently overseas again with "our uncle". I would feel better about the situation at home if she was able to carry a firearm while I am gone. I see myself making several "business trips" overseas with our uncle. I have looked up the state rules and was a little confused by the verbage.

CarmelHP
    My wife is in residence in Indiana, she is a permenant resident alien w/green card. And no convictions. If I understand the guidelines that are listed she should be able to recieve a license.

Thank you for the help!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sounds like a question for your congressman. I'd think they'd be quick to assist a serviceman. That's what we elect and pay them for anyway.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    CarmelHP
    My wife is in residence in Indiana, she is a permenant resident alien w/green card. And no convictions. If I understand the guidelines that are listed she should be able to recieve a license.

Thank you for the help!

The code is clear on this. She's good to go in getting a license. You're welcome.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    First of all, there is no "permit" or "CCW" in Indiana.

We have an Indiana License to Carry Handgun. Anyone who is a legal resident of Indiana, 18 or older, and who is not disqualified because of a criminal record or adjudication of mental illness can get one.

If you have a license or permit from your home state or country, it is valid here in Indiana until you establish residency. Then you can get your Indiana License.

You just have to be a resident of Indiana who is legally in the country (as the previous poster noted). US citizenship is not a requirement.

Eagle_Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    permit is a generic term used by most people to say they have a legal right to carry their handgun. Like saying iam going to get a coke when you might actually purchase a diet coke or mtdew. I , respectfully to the person who corrected the poster, think they were just asking what it takes to be able to carry legally. I dont think they were trying to use the perfect word to describe the piece of paper. My wife is a legal resident and from mexico. I intend to have her apply for a "permit". I tend to use the word permit, "lol". I believe you just have to be a legal resident and not a citizen.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    You just have to be a resident of Indiana who is legally in the country (as the previous poster noted). US citizenship is not a requirement.

You do not have to be a resident either. If you are here on business, perhaps for a sales territory postion, you can apply in the area or region of your choosing, and recieve a LTCH. The 4 year is available, the lifetime is not. My father recieved his last year specifically for this purpose.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg

Correct (subject to the above note about out-of-State residents with jobs here also being eligible for four-year LTCHs). My wife (a long-term green-card Indiana resident) has her Indiana lifetime LTCH, despite not yet being a U.S. citizen.

FYI, she and I applied for our licenses at the same time, but her app took about three weeks longer than mine to process -- though that was in the post-Obama rush period where everything was taking longer.

Last edited:

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Simple answer to your question: Yes.

My girlfriend's father, a Mexican citizen, and a Permanent Resident of the USA, not a citizen, has a lifetime LTCH from the sovereign State of Indiana.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You do not have to be a resident either. If you are here on business, perhaps for a sales territory postion, you can apply in the area or region of your choosing, and recieve a LTCH. The 4 year is available, the lifetime is not. My father recieved his last year specifically for this purpose.

Not quite, according to the IN code you must have a regular place of employment in IN. And you have to apply at the sheriff of the county where the regular place of employment is located. So if the place your a sales rep for has a place of business here in IN you would probably qualify, but you would have to apply at the sheriff in the county it is located at.

(f) The superintendent may not issue a lifetime qualified license or a lifetime unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state. The superintendent may issue a four (4) year qualified license or a four (4) year unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state and who has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana as described in section 3(a)(3) of this chapter.

IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
    Sec. 3. (a)
    (3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment.
    The superintendent and local law enforcement agencies shall allow an applicant desiring to obtain or renew a license to carry a handgun to submit an application electronically under this chapter if funds are available to establish and maintain an electronic application system.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Not quite, according to the IN code you must have a regular place of employment in IN. And you have to apply at the sheriff of the county where the regular place of employment is located. So if the place your a sales rep for has a place of business here in IN you would probably qualify, but you would have to apply at the sheriff in the county it is located at.

Nope, not an actual address needed. He turned in 3 letters from the manufacturers of product he reps and sells. No place of business in Hamilton county, he applied here becaus it was convenient. The nice lady that fingerprinted him attached the letters as proof that he has business within state lines. 9 weeks later, the slip was in the mail.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Nope, not an actual address needed. He turned in 3 letters from the manufacturers of product he reps and sells. No place of business in Hamilton county, he applied here becaus it was convenient. The nice lady that fingerprinted him attached the letters as proof that he has business within state lines. 9 weeks later, the slip was in the mail.

I'm not saying your dad didn't get it, I'm saying according to IC he shouldn't of, at least not in a county he didn't have a "regular place of business or employment" in. Heck a couple of months ago an Indy(I think) newspaper did a report on ltch holders and found a felon that had been issued one, after conviction that is, not a ltch holder who was later convicted of a felony. Mistakes happen. Or are you saying that just because this one felon was issued a ltch that its legal for every felon to do so? Again from IC
    (f) The superintendent may not issue a lifetime qualified license or a lifetime unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state. The superintendent may issue a four (4) year qualified license or a four (4) year unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state and who has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana as described in section 3(a)(3) of this chapter.
    IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
    Sec. 3. (a)
    (3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment.
    It states a regular place of business or employment, and that they must apply in the county where it is at. I don't agree with IC on this because I don't think you should need a ltch to carry, but the law is the law.

Perhaps you should be quiet about your dad slipping through the cracks before he gets noticed? Or at least talk to him about it first.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Perhaps you should be quiet about your dad slipping through the cracks before he gets noticed? Or at least talk to him about it first.

He didn't slip, he applied to the INdiana LTCH system. It went through regular channels. The first visit, he discussed it with a Hamilton County officer, the nice officer explained what letters to bring and why. Dad brought the letters. Paid the fees. Carries the card. Legal.

" or employment in Indiana as described in section 3(a)(3) of this chapter. "

Done and done.

"I'm saying according to IC he shouldn't of, "

This is your interpretation, clearly Hamilton County officers had a different one.

Top Bottom