• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Personal defense spray is not legal at schools. Home alone (followed home)is my current fear. Excellent comments, I also think a self defense class would be a wise choice. Paralyzed with fear would be a normal response, training could teach the flee response.

You can get inert cans if you want them to sray you. :dunno:

Exo594

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    I'm 6', 207lbs, 2nd Level Blue Belt in TKD, and my master is very much focused on self-defensive techniques, and not as much on tournaments or forms. I've learned enough to take most people hand-to-hand, but my mental state in a fight is a little weak. It's been a year since I started the class, and if your kids aren't cooperative with it, it may take longer than that. I'd say that with a self-defense focused teacher, your kids should be very aggressive brown belts before you can consider them ready to defend themselves, or unenthusiastic black belts.

As for pepper spray, my sister carries something, and I think she only bought it because the case was pink. She's never "trained" with it, and she doesn't even know how strong it is, so it's useless to her. I sprayed some in the sink and smelled it, and I would've lasted for a while in that condition. Frankly, I'd go with martial arts.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    minx: I think OC spray is an excellent choice for your children. As you said, giving them unsupervised access to a firearm would be reckless (in most situations) and possibly open you to criminal and civil penalties. If properly trained with the OC (which is essential), it will prove effective in many situations. I've had hours and hours of training with OC. As anyone on this forum who has been exposed to OC will know, it is quite an unpleasant experience. I would not suggest giving them a full exposure (i.e. a direct shot in the face). However, to effectively use OC, one must understand how it works. I suggest applying a bit to the end of a q-tip, and applying it to the skin just above the cheek. It will provide a mild burning sensation, but should not get in their eyes. If they are going to use OC, they must understand that in all likelihood, they will get some blowback. If you spray some OC outside, where there is a mild breeze, you will understand what I am talking about. Good luck!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Personal defense spray is not legal at schools. Home alone (followed home)is my current fear. Excellent comments, I also think a self defense class would be a wise choice. Paralyzed with fear would be a normal response, training could teach the flee response.

I'm pretty sure that it isn't illegal, just against school rules. If you have a cite for it being illegal I'd like to see it. I'm always interested in learning.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    I'm pretty sure that it isn't illegal, just against school rules. If you have a cite for it being illegal I'd like to see it. I'm always interested in learning.

Probably not illegal per se, but with the "zero tolerance" policies in place in today's schools I'm pretty sure it would get your son or daughter expelled.

OZESS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    valparaiso indiana
    I think all boys and girls should learn self defense my sons were glad they had
    training and the way things are today it sure would not hurt to be able to have
    a change to get away at the least.

Top Bottom