• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I suppose if the pay is insultingly low for the degree requirements, then they will have difficulty filling the positions.

I suspect, though, that they will have plenty of applicants. New grads, second jobs, semi-retired folks, un- or under-employed, etc...

After all, we are still talking about $2300 (gross) in 5 weeks.

You are probably right, like I said it just seems a bit low for requiring a BA.

At the same time, I grew up being tought that a job is a job.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    $11.05 for a job requiring a bachelors degree? That company ought to be ashamed of themselves.

What bilge!
    A bachelor's degree isn't worth two cents by itself. Degree or not, you are worth only what someone is willing to pay you for your effort. If you're too proud to work for $11.05 per hour and you can't get a higher-paying job, then sit on your duff and starve or go on the dole.
    They are obviously getting workers to fill these positions because they keep the degree requirement.
    It's called "supply and demand." If you don't understand it, you haven't been educated.

Sounds good to me! Sign me up!

Oh... Wait...

I retired four years ago.

Never mind.

I've know several retired people who have done this kind of work for extra money.

Sticks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    NE Indy
    Nothing against you, MadBomber, you are doing a good deed. But there is a rant brewing:

It seems most of us are resigned to lowering our expectations! Wall Street has won.

A reading comprehension test should be the only requirement for this job.
    Can you accurately follow the procedures to score and report these tests?
    Do you have attention to detail? (i.e., ever balance your checkbook?)

The education creep in this county is the biggest scam of this generation.
    The B.A./B.S degree of today seems equivalent to a 10th grade education 40 years ago, or the 8th grade education of 60 years ago.

It is disgusting that young people should be expected to invest $40K (and up) to get a job they cannot support themselves on (apt. rents, along with everything else, are sky high).

I don’t have an problem with jobs that have low wages, you do what you have to do (My part time job in high school paid $1.85 an hour. Yes, I know back then the world was black and white and dinosaurs chased us to school).

What I think is reprehensible is that corporations are making record profits, yet set the education/experience entry bar extremely high for low wage jobs.

Our county seemed to win WWII without the majority of the troops having a college degree. I don’t think grading a paper is more complicated than driving – and you don’t need a college degree for that (yet!). The Higher Education Industry wants everyone to spend 4 years paying tuition for what used to be OJT.

Just my 2 cents.​

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Nothing against you, MadBomber, you are doing a good deed. But there is a rant brewing:

It seems most of us are resigned to lowering our expectations! Wall Street has won.

A reading comprehension test should be the only requirement for this job.
    Can you accurately follow the procedures to score and report these tests?
    Do you have attention to detail? (i.e., ever balance your checkbook?)​

You assume, probably incorrectly, that skill set is the only criterion being considered by the employer. Perhaps the employer is assuming that the degree is sufficient evidence of the applicant's ability to read and comprehend, follow directions, and pay attention to detail. Without the degree requirement, what other criterion would you suggest the employer use to determine the applicant's qualification for the job?

Perhaps previous experience. Ah, but then you're guilty of the same "high" standard for a job that just requires a particular level of reading comprehension.

Perhaps we should take the applicant at his word. He would never lie to get the job, would he?

The education creep in this county is the biggest scam of this generation.
    The B.A./B.S degree of today seems equivalent to a 10th grade education 40 years ago, or the 8th grade education of 60 years ago.

This I can agree with from a where the bar is set point of view. However, it fails to take into consideration that from an educational point of view, they are damn near equal in results. The high school graduate of yesteryear was at least as equal to the modern college graduate in terms of academic experience and exposure. We have dumbed down education. We aren't actually demanding more skilled, educated, experienced applicants. We just have to look higher and higher to find them.

It is disgusting that young people should be expected to invest $40K (and up) to get a job they cannot support themselves on (apt. rents, along with everything else, are sky high).
    Perhaps. But to myopically point the finger at the degree requirement for employment ignores the multitude of other factors that have contributed to our present location.

What I think is reprehensible is that corporations are making record profits, yet set the education/experience entry bar extremely high for low wage jobs.
    To quote a previous poster: what bilge!

Do you think a job is worth more because the company makes a profit? At what level of profit is the wage fair? Anything over that level and the wage suddenly needs to increase, even if the job and its required skills set have not?

:n00b:

Our county seemed to win WWII without the majority of the troops having a college degree. I don’t think grading a paper is more complicated than driving – and you don’t need a college degree for that (yet!). The Higher Education Industry wants everyone to spend 4 years paying tuition for what used to be OJT.

Just my 2 cents.
    That's because everybody knows that a high school diploma from a government school is essentially worthless.

Sticks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    NE Indy
    "Do you think a job is worth more because the company makes a profit? At what level of profit is the wage fair? Anything over that level and the wage suddenly needs to increase, even if the job and its required skills set have not?"
    I wasn't thinking that.

I think $11.00 an hour is great for grading tests. I think that passing a short exam in English skills could provide a minimum threshold for employment. I also think that about 4 hours of training are probably sufficient - not 4 years of college.

Anyways, thanks for reading the post. I appreciate the feedback!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Geez, no love for post secondary educations around here. Tough crowd. I have a bachelors degree and the wife is finishing up her masters. I'm glad I have mine even though it is not required for an LEO. Like 88GT stated, even for new LEO applicants, having a degree is good as it shows that the applicant can follow through. There is many things to learn in a college setting.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Geez, no love for post secondary educations around here. Tough crowd. I have a bachelors degree and the wife is finishing up her masters. I'm glad I have mine even though it is not required for an LEO. Like 88GT stated, even for new LEO applicants, having a degree is good as it shows that the applicant can follow through. There is many things to learn in a college setting.

No worries Denny; I love me some secondary education folks! I wouldn't have anyone to keep down if it wasn't for them :D

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I wasn't thinking that.

I think $11.00 an hour is great for grading tests. I think that passing a short exam in English skills could provide a minimum threshold for employment. I also think that about 4 hours of training are probably sufficient - not 4 years of college.

Anyways, thanks for reading the post. I appreciate the feedback!
    Who pays for that English skills exam or the 4 hours of training?

Seems fairly intuitive to me that the requirement for a degree is a perfectly logical substitute for the administration of such tests and training. Why would an employer want to spend the money on a candidate that may not pass? If I am going to hire people (and I do have 2 businesses), the only training I'm going to pay out of pocket for is the kind that is specific to my business and the specific job said employee would be doing. He will have to provide proof of basic language skills and other requirements before I hire him. Only when he is hired will I continue to invest in him. No outlay of funds just to determine suitability. That's on the employee.

I see your point, but being on the employer side of things (disclaimer: I don't actually have employees, I'm too greedy to pay anybody anything), I completely understand the desire to set requirements high even for basic skill set jobs that don't pay X.

I also think this is a phenomenon of the economy. There is a glut of employees. I could take my pick of a hundred for a single position. I don't want to weed through 100 and I know I will pick the degreed over the non-degreed, so why not just limit candidates to those who have the degree? Sorting through 40 applications instead of 100 is better for me.

If I can't find someone because there aren't any candidates with degrees who I feel are good fit or because nobody with a degree is applying, then I would have to adjust the requirements down.

I guarantee that a booming economy with a shortage of employees would see employers dropping standards and raising wages to compete for the few applicants out there. This is how economics works. And labor and wages are just another example of goods and prices.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    :( It sounded great, until you said BA. I only have an AAS in management. I could have used the cash come June.

ETA:: Rep inbound for sharing something like this to help out those in need.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    2 friends did this and loved it. Not a bad Gig if they were truthful and I believe they were.

Not sure about keeping company with the MadBomber...............:):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not too proud to do this. I won't be available for the first session, but unless I find something better in the meantime, I'll do the second.

My Flame-Suit is firmly on (it's snug but my ass looks great in it). But before you fire away, keep in mind a couple of points: 1. I don't set the BA Degree requirements, my client does. 2. I don't set the wage requirements, my client does. 3. Bad Karma will be on your head for every snarky, snide, and silly comment you make (or even think about). I'm simply trying to put an employment opportunity out to any INGO member or their friends and family, who may need it.

Details:

Location: NW side of Indy. No work from home, all work is done on-site.

Requirements: Bachelors Degree or higher. Discipline or institution doesn't matter. We have people with double Masters from MIT in Mathematics and Science, and people who just got a degree from Ivy Tech. We even have some people from lesser schools like IU.

Hours: two shifts available: Days, 8:30am to 4:30pm, Mon. thru Fri. or, Nights, 6pm to 10:30PM, Mon thru Fri. No weekends and we expect/need you to be here every day of the project.

Assignment Length: May 1st to June 5th. (also another project from June 6th to June 20th, same hours and shifts available)

Pay: $11.05 per hour

Type of work: Grading standardized student tests (not from Indiana; two other states), from grades 4 thru 10. Sit-down work, quiet, pleasant environment. All work is done using computer so basic PC skills needed.

Likelihood of being hired: If you have a clean criminal record (for at least the last 7 years), and you provide proof of a valid degree. then you have the job. You'll need to come to an orientation (held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 1:30 pm and 5:30pm) to complete a ridiculous amount of paperwork. You'll spend and hour and a half to two hours in my pleasant company.

Referral Bonus: After you're hired, recommend the job to a friend, family member, even an enemy, and if they complete the project, you'll get a $40 bonus. (no limit on the number of people you can refer)

Perks: Did I mention that you'll spend and hour and a half to two hours in my pleasant company?

PM me for details.

Last edited:

cwilly66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I work at the facility MadBomber is referring to. It's a great place to work, great atmosphere and opportunities to meet like-minded friends. The scoring work is very straight forward. I've seen some of these folks return season after season after season. I've been here 10 years, and I still see some of the same faces I saw on day 1. If you need to fill the gap, this would be a great opportunity to do so.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Has no one thought about the liability aspect of this, as to why the client is requiring a bachelors degree?

I mean there is a private company being charged with grading standardized testing. Perhaps the client wants to eliminate possibilities that they can be accused of tampering or employing unqualified personel to grade the state level testing. Maybe it was contractual requirement, or it is written those state's policies that all standardized testing shall be graded by someone with a BA or higher.

I know, I know...... get my logic out of here.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    At my employer, the only thing required is a pulse. We start temps at $10 an hour and the max hourly pay scale is $22. I started at $10.95 an hour as full time 14 years ago and current full time start pay is $12-13.

If I were in need of a job, I'd gladly take a temp job with my employer and show them $22+ an hour work to prove that I'm worth hiring and worth promoting through the ladder to get where I currently am. Why would a company want to hire me full time if I'm only giving them $10 worth of work when they'd have to give me a $2-3 raise?

The only downfall I see to the op's positions is that they don't seem to be temp to hire jobs. Who knows. Maybe if you bust your tail, they'll find a fl time position for you at a much better pay scale. Or one cod just stay home and complain about how the man is keeping him down.

Top Bottom