• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    The other day I was in the parking lot of a busy auto parts store alone a busy road. My wife as in the backseat, and a buddy who was with me was sitting in the front seat. I was on one knee checking the fuse box under the dash. It was in the middle of the day.

All of a sudden, a women, with her arms full of belongings comes running around the corner looking over her shoulder. She sees that I am the only car there and begins to run towards me to say that a guy in a truck (as she point to the where she had come from) is cursing at and hitting her and if I will give her a ride. Before she could finish her sentence I told her to “STAY BACK”, she stopped dead in her tracks. She was standing in front of the door of the auto parts place so I told her to go inside and have them call 911. The whole time expecting someone to come around the corner after her. My wife because of where she was seated had a better angle then I did, yelled to me that she did not see anyone. The women said she did not want that, only a ride. I told her that I could not help her. She then went far out of her way to go around me and disappeared across the parking lot. We never did see the “guy in the truck”.

The reason I am sharing this is to show how easy it is to become involved in a violent situation when you really are just minding your own business. When I was a cop I saw this same situation play out many times at gas stations. Someone would be approached coming out of the store, or standing at the pumps. The other thing that happens is that they become involved when their attention is drawn to an altercation and get the old “what are you looking at”.

For any situation to take place three things are necessary-

Environment

Scenario

Actors

In many cases, like the situations above, through no fault of your own you can quickly end up an actor in a scenario, in an environment not of your choosing.

When trouble finds you, the first rule of thumb as actor is to remove yourself if possible. If that is not an option, limit your involvement. If those two things fail you need to dedicate yourself to the role.

So let revisit my parking lot scenario-

Basically I was stuck, down on one knee, two other people with me, and keys out of the ignition. Would have taken a bit for me to get out of there. I have found it a good habit that when confronted to the front to glance to your rear and vice versa. To tell you the truth I half way expected to see the “guy in the truck” blocking me in a robbery attempt. Luckily this was not the case. But in the instant I was not going anywhere.

So I ordered her to stay back and redirected her with the option of going into the store and calling 911. As soon as she refused I knew something was up. This effectively took me out of the scenario even though I was currently stuck in the environment.

Some other points- because she was holding her belongings I could see both of her hands. She showed no signs of injury or abuse. Had she come around the corner with a weapon, or covered in blood (unfortunately something I have also run into), my response would have been very different.

During the entire (30 second encounter) I always kept my door between us. This provided me with an improvised impact weapon (a favorite) and a physical barrier.

When we have done this scenario during Force on Force in classes we call it the “Damsel in Distress” and just about every time people are sucked in towards the “victim” leaving behind the cover they brought with them. This is covered in depth during vehicle tactics.

So next time you are in public and someone rushed towards you keep these things in mind.- George

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Good move suggesting she go into the store and call 911. According to what she said, a crime had been committed and that needed to be dealt with first. If she was legit, that would be determined by the police and you would then be free to help her.

Now: What if there was a guy in a truck?

shotgun0311

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Camby
    Outstanding on your part we always should avoid situations when we can. Bravo sir way to use your training and quick thinking.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Most likely... she's a nutcase, and there probably WAS a guy in a truck. But... the guy in the truck finally had enough of her ****, called her a ******* *****, told her to GTFO of his truck, and when she didn't he either pushed her out or threw her stuff on the pavement and turned and drove off in the other direction when she got out to pick it up. She was looking for quick sympathy and tried the "he's beating me" angle, and when you weren't her knight in shining armor that was the end of it.

I've known a few nutcases in my life, and this is exactly the sort of thing that would happen to them. There's nothing like schizoaffective disorder to make life interesting.

But this could very easily play out to be a robbery.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Most likely... she's a nutcase, and there probably WAS a guy in a truck. But... the guy in the truck finally had enough of her ****, called her a ******* *****, told her to GTFO of his truck, and when she didn't he either pushed her out or threw her stuff on the pavement and turned and drove off in the other direction when she got out to pick it up. She was looking for quick sympathy and tried the "he's beating me" angle, and when you weren't her knight in shining armor that was the end of it.

I've known a few nutcases in my life, and this is exactly the sort of thing that would happen to them. There's nothing like schizoaffective disorder to make life interesting.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I played that out in my head too, if he had come around the corner after her in a violent manner I would have gone around the other side of the car to get between him and where my buddy and wife were sitting. Yes, I would have identified myself as a police officer and ordered him to stop and get on the ground, probably at gun point. Reason, I have reason to believe that an assault, possible abduction is taking place and I am not in a position to immediately leave.

It would have been worse if he did show up behind me since I would have been stuck between him and her with my buddy and wife in the car. I probably would have stayed where I was at to at least keep the physical barrier between her and I. And again, if he got out and I thought an attack was imminent I would have IDed myself and ordered him to the ground.

My priority would have been getting myself between the primary threat and my wife and buddy since I was not in a position to drive away.

Had he showed up with the typical '"ah baby get back in the truck" I would have just ordered them both to stay back.

This is exactly what I am talking about, how a trip to the auto parts store for a fuse can turn into a life changing **** show in about 30 seconds. - George

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009

:laugh:
    You always crack me up. I can tell you've been around the block a few times. You may have come in contact with the PBH (Psycho ***** from Hell) :laugh:

On a more serious note, cosermann had a recent thread somewhat relevant to this scenario.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/274723-fringe_or_transition_areas.html

This, and/or similar situations (being accosted at convenience stores, parking lots, getting in and out of vehicles, etc.) is one of the main reasons I sought out FoF training several years ago.

ETA: For clarification, in case of misinterpretation. Several possibilities. Although a female with a sob story can be used as a decoy, whether an aggressive panhandler, thief or (possibly homicidal) mugger, the "adversary" will most likely be the male of the species.

Last edited:

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    As I read these type of posts. I think more and more of my awareness or lack of.
    Good post, makes me think about situations that would be easy to get involved with.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    One always has to expect the unexpected. I think my wife has come to appreciate how I am always practicing situational awareness.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yet another excellent topic from our friend Mercop!

I've used similar techniques more than once in the past (I use the Farnam "I can't help you" routine). The first time I did it was downtown Lafayette, IN a few years ago when a guy crossed the street in the middle of a block to approach me. I was so surprised at how well it worked that I had to call Glock21 (who taught it to me) about it.

More recently (last year), I was in a less than nice part of Louisville at night outside of a Walgreen's. A guy was trying to hide behind one of those big trashcans against the wall around the corner from the entrance. I tend to take corners wide so I can see first, go after. I saw him probably before he saw me and as he started to move toward me, I did the "stop" hand and the "I can't help you" and he raised both hands and backed away, apologizing.

It works. It can either prevent a really bad situation from happening, a kind of bad situation from escalating, or help you avoid an annoyance. All three are winners.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    The first time I did it was downtown Lafayette, IN a few years ago when a guy crossed the street in the middle of a block to approach me.

Possibilities:

1) Bum trying to get free $ for drugs or puke-o-hol.

2) INGO lurker who recognized you, and mistakenly believing you delivered the shipments personally to Casa de Freeman, thought he could mooch or even steal a case of .45

3) A scout/spy cleverly disguised as a street urchin, whose only job was to make contact and keep His Excellency apprised of the position/disposition of his archnemesis, having ventured into His realm.

Now, you can't blame him for that last one after the reported attempt on the life of His Lordship, whereupon the Pachyderm is alleged to have chased him down a sidewalk in a large vehicle, yelling "I hate all Englishmen!"

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Here's another example of the "damsel in distress" ruse. Not in a parking lot context, but at one's front door.

Excerpt:
    "New Years eve at 4:30 in the afternoon while I was in the basement on the computer surfing the web and my wife, cousin, and daughter were in the next room over doing the same there was a banging on the front door and my bird dog began barking. I ran upstairs and was half way to the door when I decided to tuck my gun in my belt. I thought it was my uncle picking up my cousin but instead it was a well dressed, middle aged... woman, with short hair, who bore a strong resemblence to Wanda Sykes, the comedian. She was at the door begging me to open it up, she said two men in a white truck had tried to rape her and that she had broke loose and needed my help. . ."

for the rest see ==>> SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA: Home Invasion

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    ==>> SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA: Home Invasion

Good read! I also recently saw a Masab Ayoob video that ran thru this situation. He also called the cops and described the person but he did it while backing away from the door. The door is concealment not cover. If she had opened up on the door with the intent to break thru or just hurt/kill the person behind it... Lesson be alert and think thru the situation before hand to better prep for that one day.

OP nice job and thanks for sharing.

Parker

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    When I was still on the job I had a take home car. It has it's good and bad points. This night it was a bad one.

It was about 0300 and I was in bed, asleep with my wife, when we heard beating on the front door. I grabbed my gun and a light, and looked out the second story window to see a woman covered in blood holding a baby. I went down stairs my wife was calling 911 and opened my door, through the steamed up (summer time) glass I could still see the woman and she was yelling that someone was going to kill her. I opened the door, pulled her inside and handed her off to my wife. Only then between my patrol car and my POV could I see a Hispanic male also covered in blood. I ordered him to back up and then to the front of my patrol car to create a physical barrier and provide me cover. My wife still on the phone with 911 advised them that A27 had a male at gun point. It was then that I realized that she lived across the court in out town home community with a bunch of illegal. I knew my verbal commands shook foundations, and hope his buddies did not poor out.

Luckily the Sheriff's precinct was around the corner and they arrived along with the state police.

They took him away and I don't recall seeing him again.

Here is why I did what I did and why.

I had a duty to act since she came there because I was a cop.

She was covered in blood holding a child. Without those two things and the fact that he had blood on him too I would not have brought her in my house. Had I been alone I would not have brought her in either.

After pulling her in I had intended to lock the door but saw who I believed to be the suspect. He was alone, apparently unarmed, and my back was to my house. Had he ran I would not have chased him.

This particular situation happened because I was a cop, but it could happen to anyone reading this, in public, at their home, or at their place of business.

There may be a neighbor you have right now who is getting abused by her husband/boyfriend. You have seen her, had a nice word, or even just smiled as you were working in your yard or washing your car. Don't be surprised if she turns up in front of your house one night.- George

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    When I lived in California there was a scam where a bloody or bruised up girl would run up on a single guy exiting his vehicle and scream that someone was trying to kill her and she needed a ride to get away. As soon as she would get in and taken to a public place she would ask for the Heroes wallet/money or she would start yelling rape.
    A good friend of mine got taken for about $100 one Saturday morning after we had worked a 12 hr shift.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    good thread. paranoia is your friend. i like the STOP i can't help you bit.

my first thought when i read the title was what is called a 'false flag'
    IE, damsel in distress keeps you busy while her crackhead BF wangs you in the head from behind.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Back in probably 1990 or 91, I heard some commotion outside of my gym in Alameda, CA. I went outside with a couple of other guys and we saw a guy beating the crap out of a woman in the street. I yelled and he stopped beating her and started toward us until he saw us, then he backed off and left. We told her to go into the gym, but while someone called 911, she left too.

Probably was almost okay since I had a bunch of other huge guys with me, but back then I would have intervened had I been by myself. That would have been mistake which could have had dire consequences.

Top Bottom