• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4TheResistance

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Galveston, 46932
    I couldn't find any solid info so I'll ask here.

Do I have to do anything special to take a barrel I have and make it into a cannon? Breech lock or other / smokeless or black powder?

Thanks for any info.

4TheResistance

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Galveston, 46932
    Thank you.

So could I take a piece of a smooth bore 12 gauge barrel and make it into a cannon using smokeless powder? Also is there any restrictions on the ignition system type or barrel length?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    You can take a large piece of steel pipe and do the same thing with bowling balls if you like.

I'm always on the hunt when I'm down south, for an old cannon or at least a barrel. I see them from time to time at roadside flee markets but they're never in a convenient place for me to pull my rig over and look. I want a cannon SOOOOO bad. Even if it is only for salute shots of powder and wadding to frighten the neighbors;)

Huntrdan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Columbus
    Cannons are considered antique ordinace replicas. Exempt from the legal term firearm. There is a ton of information on South Bend Replicas website. 20 years ago if you ordered a barrel from them they would send you a copy of the laws you would need to get out of jail free.

Huntrdan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Columbus
    I got a piece of steel 7 inches in diameter with a 3 inch hole in it. Pressed and then welded a breech plug in. Then a friend that runs a big lathe turned the profile. Then I welded on the trunions. I proofed it with 2 lbs. of powder. I usually shoot 1/2 lb. per shot.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Actually rifling has nothing to do with it. You can make a rifled black powder cannon that is muzzle loaded and it will not require registration. Breech loading makes things a bit more questionable unless it is a replica of a gun built prior to 1898. If you use a fixed cartridge as in a cartridge case and projectile that are loaded into the gun than you're in DD land. There is also some question about using primers to fire but thats getting into lawyer land for arguing.
    I've seen some very nicely done rifled civil war type cannons fired and they can be very accurate. We watched a 3" Parrot rifle fired out in Colorado at a machinegun shoot a few years back. One man unloaded the gun from his trailer and set it up. He used a gunners quadrant and basic sight to aim it at a car used as a target 1200yds away. His first shot went over the target by about a foot, the second hit about 20yds short and the third round punched dead center. He said that was called "bracketting the target". His gun was rifled and used some interesting multi-piece projectiles that engaged the rifling with hard felt pads at the rear of the projo. Very neat to watch.

Frank

Top Bottom