• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    That's why all the road signs have pictures instead of words for all the professional steering wheel holders.

I haven't heard the term professional steering wheel holders in awhile...lol
    I drove a trailer truck into Chicago everyday for 7years... the very first thing I learned before I took that job was:
    1. Always know where you are going and what lies ahead best you can.
    2. Call ahead to the shipper or consignee to varify the routes.
    3. Have a back up route in mind or be prepared to sit. NEVER EVER EVER GO EXPLORING IN A SEMI TRACTOR TRAILER(Having tools like maps showing all the low over passes/ bridges, restricted routes, no trucks routes no hazmat, weight limits & ect., certainly can make your trip go much smoother)

...and of course PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL. READ THE SIGNAGE

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I drove a trailer truck into Chicago everyday for 7years... the very first thing I learned before I took that job was:
    3. Have a back up route in mind or be prepared to sit. NEVER EVER EVER GO EXPLORING IN A SEMI TRACTOR TRAILER(Having tools like maps showing all the low over passes/ bridges, restricted routes, no trucks routes no hazmat, weight limits & ect., certainly can make your trip go much smoother)

The joys of being an old and experienced truck driver. :oldwise:

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    My cousin sent me a pic of that girl a while ago on my phone. I think he got it off of facebook. And yep, she at least was, as amish as they come.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I bet when she got home and told her old man what she had done, he was like................

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

Pure wisdom. Chicago is TERRIBLE about low bridges. Sign reading. I was selected for training by Schneider back when they ran their own schools. They did not run mills, at least half the class was washed out during the two weeks of driving 'boot camp' we endured. It was sunup to sundown, rain or shine. They preached sign reading BIG TIME. They taught me to read everything...and I still do to this day. Those that graduated and got hired were matched with a dedicated TE with many years of experience and ALWAYS were in the cab with you. We learned logging from day one. Spent time in simulators practicing steer blows, skid recovery, close maneuvering. All in all an awesome experience. I felt well prepared and quite proud to have survived the cut.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS!!!Seriously, how stupid can you be to not comprehend A: your truck is TALLER than the bridge, and B: it is WAAAAAAY heavier than the bridge can support. Its not like its common core math. Tons to pounds is not that hard to calculate. Hell, if she was only over by a ton or so and it gave way I could understand. But geez!I hope she gets fired and loses her CDL. She is obviously too stupid to operate that rig.
    How did she get her cdl, I know several halfway intelligent people who took the test 3 times before passing

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How did she get her cdl, I know several halfway intelligent people who took the test 3 times before passing

Book smarts does not equate to common sense. I know a few guys that passed the HVAC Contractors test for Marion county that were terrible technicians. They passed on the 1st try. It took me 2 times to pass it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Book smarts does not equate to common sense. I know a few guys that passed the HVAC Contractors test for Marion county that were terrible technicians. They passed on the 1st try. It took me 2 times to pass it.

Yeah, some people are better at passing tests than doing the job.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I was a graduate of a truck driving school. It was not a driving school, more of a "how to pass the CDL test school." Then I signed on with a major carrier (Swift) and after 2 days in the classroom, I was put with a trainer. He picked me up in Gary, he drove to Morris, IL and hooked up to a trailer at the Costco dc. Then he had me drive to Cincinnati. He gave me directions and headed in the bunk to go to sleep. He told me to wake him up when we got to the Loves truck stop west of Indy.

I had never drove a loaded truck before that moment. Steep learning curve but I made it.

It's not just the CDL mills. The "trainers" for these major companies are a joke. You only had to have 6 months at the company to become a trainer. I only stayed there 6 months.

I had a "trainer" who treated it as a team operation. That guy got taken off the trainer list.
    I did have a trainer who was genuinely of rating as a trainer. For the first couple weeks he was always in the passenger seat next to me, sometimes he'd sit on the bunk and watch me drive without me knowing. I was also limited to not driving after midnight.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If I'm not mistaken, there is a shortage of truck drivers in the US, so it may be that they are letting just about anyone with a clean physical and driving record in to training.

It's an artificial shortage. They, both big business and government, make it so miserable that most drivers that are any account tell the to get f**ked and find something else to do--an endeavor which I am in the process of dealing with right now.

Yeah, it's part of Obama's "job creation" strategy.

It predates Obama. You may have been in a comfortable spot where you really didn't notice, but I have been seeing it for a good 15 years.

The testing is based on rote memorization of 'correct' answers, most of which are more appropriate to be a mechanic than a driver rather than any real demonstration of driving proficiency. It has become very much a game not of proving that you are capable of doing the job but rather one of regurgitating the 'correct' answers and jumping through hoops that are largely irrelevant to reality.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I had a "trainer" who treated it as a team operation. That guy got taken off the trainer list.
    I did have a trainer who was genuinely of rating as a trainer. For the first couple weeks he was always in the passenger seat next to me, sometimes he'd sit on the bunk and watch me drive without me knowing. I was also limited to not driving after midnight.

Yep. That's what this guy was. I was nothing but extra $ to him.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    My dad still has my grandfather's old Dakota Transfer Storage and Consolidated Freight badges from when truckers wore badges. My Grandpa was always proud that he never had a moving violation or chargeable (his fault) traffic accident. He did clip some traffic lights that landed on the trailer but it was determined, after measuring trailer height, that the city has raised the street but not the overhanging lights.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    My dad still has my grandfather's old Dakota Transfer Storage and Consolidated Freight badges from when truckers wore badges. My Grandpa was always proud that he never had a moving violation or chargeable (his fault) traffic accident. He did clip some traffic lights that landed on the trailer but it was determined, after measuring trailer height, that the city has raised the street but not the overhanging lights.
    It would be interesting to see those badges. Never heard of the badges before. Always learning something new here.

Top Bottom