• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I was a graduate of a truck driving school. It was not a driving school, more of a "how to pass the CDL test school." Then I signed on with a major carrier (Swift) and after 2 days in the classroom, I was put with a trainer. He picked me up in Gary, he drove to Morris, IL and hooked up to a trailer at the Costco dc. Then he had me drive to Cincinnati. He gave me directions and headed in the bunk to go to sleep. He told me to wake him up when we got to the Loves truck stop west of Indy.

I had never drove a loaded truck before that moment. Steep learning curve but I made it.

It's not just the CDL mills. The "trainers" for these major companies are a joke. You only had to have 6 months at the company to become a trainer. I only stayed there 6 months.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I believe Doc understands that. That's why he told Denny "Way to you up the thread."
    Did I sufficiently Denny the explanation? :)

Oh :poop: . I missed who he was talking to. See what I get for turning off avatars?

Time to turn them back on and put squirrel back on my ignore list.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Great, another truck driver who doesn't read signs :):

Yeah, I should have thought that out a bit better before posting that.

Does it help any that I like the avatars (signs) because I really use them to identify how and what's going on around me on INGO?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    odd story - it did not state the driver's name. fortunately the comment section will show up in the internet search engines. so the next trucking company can find the story.

too bad for Paoli. Hope they rebuild it as a duplicate of the old bridge.

I'll just leave this here........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzkWTcDZFH0

Well, some of those trucks were rentals. Don't think they needed CDLs. But, still, a moron at the wheel.
    At work, we've even had drivers rip their trucks apart AFTER the signs were put up "NO SEMI-TRAILERS. USE BUCHANAN ENTRANCE"

I hate reading!

Great, another truck driver who doesn't read signs :):

Yeah, I should have thought that out a bit better before posting that.

Does it help any that I like the avatars (signs) because I really use them to identify how and what's going on around me on INGO?

:faint:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I wouldn't trust her to make a sandwich. As stupid as this is to the layperson it is even more so to someone like me that actually drove for a living for years. So many basic fails here, and not all are hers.

Exactly. I will start with my own perspective. My grandpa, dad, and uncle were all truck drivers. A lot of their friends were truck drivers. Two of my brothers and I are still operating dad's trucking company. I will freely admit that one brother is the driving force in it, and I am trying my best to figure out ways to minimize the trucking in my life to make room for more farming, but nevertheless, we grew up with it and if you can survive learning from my dad, you should be in good shape (in fact, he was rough enough that I pretty well learned how from him but had to go to someone else to finish out well enough to pass the driving test on merit rather than checkbook). Back when (before dad started his company), grandpa trained for a company he worked for. He was known to kick drivers from Indiana out somewhere in California or Arizona and have the company wire them money for bus tickets for doing things far less stupid than this.

Back to the present, as I see it the layers of fail are as follows:

1. Whomever was responsible for admitting this individual to school and/or hiring her to drive a truck needs to have higher standards than a warm body capable of passing a DOT physical. Putting someone who had never driven anything that didn't sh*t in the road in a truck in that short of a time is flagrantly irresponsible.

2. On the regulatory side, the same thing applies. While I generally advocate less government, the SC has ruled that since trucking is a 'highly regulated industry' (i.e., it is permissible to do things because they are already being done), there is a reduced expectation of privacy, translated that the Fourth and Fifth Amendments do not apply to either drivers or companies. This leads to audits whenever a state or federal bureaucrat damned well feels like it. This same general treatment by the law, the bureaucracy, and the courts has also led to a situation in which thousands of retarded little 'regulations' (i.e., laws that are put in effect without the legislative process because congress passed a blank check law way the hell back when). Under these circumstances, if it is 'reasonable' for the government to determine how my biological processes work (i.e., my sleep habits and needs are presumed to be EXACTLY like yours, and yours, and yours), when I need to stop to eat (since my digestive system works EXACTLY like yours, and yours, and yours), and so forth, I fail to understand why no attention has been given to turning people loose with trucks who have managed to memorize correct answers (which may or may not be right in reality) and passed a driving test generally administered by the people running the school. No, I don't really fail to understand. The people making the money on this can afford to buy the regulations they want.

3. The school. How in the Hell did someone pass not being able to correctly understand signs regarding height and weight limits, regardless of whether they are expressed in pounds or tons, both of which are in common usage? One also wanders, aside from the flow of money, how it is that schools get away with putting the dangerous drivers on the road that they typically do without incurring liability from such negligence.

4. Another problem not really relevant here but very significant is that the immigration people have concluded that trucks are a wonderful place to put immigrants. They don't have to do a lot of communicating, so speaking English isn't as big a deal as working in a factory, retail, or office. They are far less independent-natured than the average traditional truck driver, who often became a truck driver in the first place to be left the hell alone. They often drive like they are in a demolition derby because that is how it's done in the old country.

5. The driver. I would say that her primary failing was not knowing enough to know that she didn't know.

6. Last and perhaps most important, problems like this would not be near the issue they are in the absence of the government and business intertwining web of control-seeking and rent-seeking, particularly the introduction of artificial bars to entry that make it a son of a b*tch for people like me yet allow people who don't have a clue but can pay tuition one way or other to waltz through whether than can any more than make the truck move or not.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Indeed, IndyDave they could have saved everyone a lot of trouble if they had taken the time to teach her to back up as well as go forward. And IIRC didn't the article say she had someone riding with her? That should make backing up to turn around even easier. Not sure the two of them together would add up to one brain. The race to the bottom in valuing an honest days work will surely be the death of us.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indeed, IndyDave they could have saved everyone a lot of trouble if they had taken the time to teach her to back up as well as go forward. And IIRC didn't the article say she had someone riding with her? That should make backing up to turn around even easier. Not sure the two of them together would add up to one brain. The race to the bottom in valuing an honest days work will surely be the death of us.

I am convinced that stupidity is cumulative such that if you put two half-wits together, you get a quarter-wit, and so forth. This principle also explains some of our more stupid political movements and pressure groups, particularly those who stand as enemies of constitutional liberty.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Man, the denny is being troweled on in layers here!

I had a father in law that was a driver, and an XGF that was like the greatest driver manager/dispatcher you could hope to meet; trucking companies would compete to get her. She had been a driver as well, which gave her the appreciation of what it's like out on the road that contributed to how great she was at it. I got some knowledge and appreciation.

I tested up to a B CDL myself to drive the school bus. We had some good training in house because that's something worth taking seriously. I took it seriously as a taxpayer and parent in the system. I wanted to be someone I would trust with my own kid. We learned things like GVWR, clearance, catching signs instinctively and what they mean. We had prospects washing out all the time, because we wanted drivers, not vehicle operators. I could have come out of that and been most competent driving a delivery truck, triax, cement mixer, whatever.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    odd story - it did not state the driver's name. fortunately the comment section will show up in the internet search engines. so the next trucking company can find the story.

too bad for Paoli. Hope they rebuild it as a duplicate of the old bridge.

I'll just leave this here........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzkWTcDZFH0

That's what I feel is about to happen every time I park my truck in a parking garage!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Exactly. I will start with my own perspective. My grandpa, dad, and uncle were all truck drivers. A lot of their friends were truck drivers. Two of my brothers and I are still operating dad's trucking company. I will freely admit that one brother is the driving force in it, and I am trying my best to figure out ways to minimize the trucking in my life to make room for more farming, but nevertheless, we grew up with it and if you can survive learning from my dad, you should be in good shape (in fact, he was rough enough that I pretty well learned how from him but had to go to someone else to finish out well enough to pass the driving test on merit rather than checkbook). Back when (before dad started his company), grandpa trained for a company he worked for. He was known to kick drivers from Indiana out somewhere in California or Arizona and have the company wire them money for bus tickets for doing things far less stupid than this.

Back to the present, as I see it the layers of fail are as follows:

1. Whomever was responsible for admitting this individual to school and/or hiring her to drive a truck needs to have higher standards than a warm body capable of passing a DOT physical. Putting someone who had never driven anything that didn't sh*t in the road in a truck in that short of a time is flagrantly irresponsible.

2. On the regulatory side, the same thing applies. While I generally advocate less government, the SC has ruled that since trucking is a 'highly regulated industry' (i.e., it is permissible to do things because they are already being done), there is a reduced expectation of privacy, translated that the Fourth and Fifth Amendments do not apply to either drivers or companies. This leads to audits whenever a state or federal bureaucrat damned well feels like it. This same general treatment by the law, the bureaucracy, and the courts has also led to a situation in which thousands of retarded little 'regulations' (i.e., laws that are put in effect without the legislative process because congress passed a blank check law way the hell back when). Under these circumstances, if it is 'reasonable' for the government to determine how my biological processes work (i.e., my sleep habits and needs are presumed to be EXACTLY like yours, and yours, and yours), when I need to stop to eat (since my digestive system works EXACTLY like yours, and yours, and yours), and so forth, I fail to understand why no attention has been given to turning people loose with trucks who have managed to memorize correct answers (which may or may not be right in reality) and passed a driving test generally administered by the people running the school. No, I don't really fail to understand. The people making the money on this can afford to buy the regulations they want.

3. The school. How in the Hell did someone pass not being able to correctly understand signs regarding height and weight limits, regardless of whether they are expressed in pounds or tons, both of which are in common usage? One also wanders, aside from the flow of money, how it is that schools get away with putting the dangerous drivers on the road that they typically do without incurring liability from such negligence.

4. Another problem not really relevant here but very significant is that the immigration people have concluded that trucks are a wonderful place to put immigrants. They don't have to do a lot of communicating, so speaking English isn't as big a deal as working in a factory, retail, or office. They are far less independent-natured than the average traditional truck driver, who often became a truck driver in the first place to be left the hell alone. They often drive like they are in a demolition derby because that is how it's done in the old country.

5. The driver. I would say that her primary failing was not knowing enough to know that she didn't know.

6. Last and perhaps most important, problems like this would not be near the issue they are in the absence of the government and business intertwining web of control-seeking and rent-seeking, particularly the introduction of artificial bars to entry that make it a son of a b*tch for people like me yet allow people who don't have a clue but can pay tuition one way or other to waltz through whether than can any more than make the truck move or not.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a shortage of truck drivers in the US, so it may be that they are letting just about anyone with a clean physical and driving record in to training.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    If I'm not mistaken, there is a shortage of truck drivers in the US, so it may be that they are letting just about anyone with a clean physical and driving record in to training.

:):.....they'll let anybody in....'at can come up with the fee (gov grants,loans...high risk lenders, etc)....:):

they could care less if ya can drive the thing or not.....they git they $$ by run'n ya thru, an' "OK!....congrats.....ya PASS'd!..."
    :):

sev'ral them ....'schools' round here....:rolleyes:.....an' I been told, it 7-9000 bux a head, so.....:):

Top Bottom