• ...and so much more!
  • mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    m4madness.jpg

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/may-m4-madness-16-cmv-chrome-lined-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

I know mine is a sample size of one, but everything was done correctly on my upper. Barrel extension properly aligned with the upper receive, FSB is straight, and the A2 flash hider is correctly timed. A minor scuff where the FSB was installed, so I'm guessing it is parkerized underneath.

I installed a LMT BCG and a charging handle I had in this upper so I have no experience with the BCG of CH that PSA sells. Time and more rounds through this upper will tell the story about these but right now in todays market these $299 uppers are IMHO a great value. Add the BCG and CH of your choice and you are ready to drop this upper on to your complete lower ready to :rockwoot:

PSA M4 upper specs.

Barrel: 16" Chrome-lined, chrome moly vanadium. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a carbine-length gas system. The M4 profile barrel is high pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected and then phosphate coated to mil-specs. Barrel is finished off with an F-marked front sight post with sling swivel, standard handguards and an A2 flash hider.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, and a mil-spec finish. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer

Range report :popcorn:

Hot today, 94 degrees. Made the 8 mile trip to the Winamac DNR range at about noon. A few people on the 25, and a few on the 100.

I setup on the 50 to get a 50 yard iron sight zero with the new build. A little bit later a couple of others also setup on the 50 so all shooting was done from the bench.

Had lubed up last night with Frog Lube so just tacked up the targets and began shooting.
    Ammo was a mixture of Wolf polymer and lacquer coated steel case. Oh the noes! steel case Russian ammo in a new rifle :):
    Made a couple of adjustments, a few clicks up on the front sight to lower the impact and a few clicks left on the rear carry handle. Nothing real exciting happened, went boom each time I pulled the trigger, cases ejected, BCG locked back open when mag was empty. Ho Hum. :yesway:

Total number of rounds fired was 150. Got home, wiped out the barrel extension, wiped down the BCG, and relubed with Frog Lube. No detailed cleaning, just a quickie clean. :cool:

IMG_20120615_175642.jpg

IMG_20120616_132720.jpg

IMG_20120616_132715.jpg

more pics will be added to this post with details on the upper when the camera charges.

:ar15:

P1160216.jpg

P1160215.jpg

P1160211.jpg

P1160210.jpg

P1160209.jpg

P1160207.jpg

P1160206.jpg

P1160205.jpg

and yes for those who notice........I haven't staked the "castle nut" yet, still deciding on what endplate to run. Damage Industries has a QD socket plate and a new QD swivel with a "D" ring instead of a loop. Thinking of going with that.

Last edited:

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    Every time I get on these darn forums I forget why I told my wife that an AR was just not the "practical" next gun to pick up...

Excuse me while I go abuse myself while looking at these pics.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Well PSA has the Magpul rear MBUS on sale, ordered one of those, free shipping.
    Next they got their bolt carrier groups back in stock, looks like I got the last one in this batch :D also free shipping.

Pulled my Primary Arms micro dot off another carbine along with the MBUS on it and put it on the PSA upper. When the new MBUS comes in I'll put it on the one I robbed. The LMT carrier will go back into my spare LMT receiver and the PSA will make this upper a "complete" PSA.

Pics and updates when the parts arrive. Also on the way is a BCM Gunfighter Mod4 charging handle and a IWC mount and Streamlight flashlight.

:bacondance:

current configuration

P1160237.jpg

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    MBUS and PSA BCG have arrived :D

P1160780.jpg

P1160782.jpg

also added the light/mount combo from IWC Mount N Slot, Streamlight PolyTAC LED

P1160747.jpg

P1160769.jpg

Optic will be changed to a Trijicon ACOG TA44SG-10 1.5X magnification :D

Trijicon_ACOG_TA44SG-10.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This is just a question, nothing to read into it. If you don't mind spending big money on an ACOG, why do you go with the cheap magpul sights?
    Nothing wrong with having Magpul for backup sights. They do the job they're intended for quite well IMO.

I would much rather put the bulk of the money toward a higher end RDS but if I were strictly running iron sights then I would spend accordingly on those as well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Mike,

Is there an advantage to using a SS barrel or a barrel that is not chrome lined? I read that chrome lined is really only necessary if the gun will be used in harsh environments and that they are not as accurate as non-lined barrels.

What do you think?

And what about twist? 1:7-1:9. Would there be much difference? As you are aware, the more I tighten my specs on what I want to build, the less options I have available. Though, that could be a good thing.:D

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    This is just a question, nothing to read into it. If you don't mind spending big money on an ACOG, why do you go with the cheap magpul sights?

Cheap? Far from it. Inexpensive is a better word. I have more expensive buis on other rifles. What do these sights do after being sighted in? yep, that's right, the stay folded down out of the way. I also have fixed rear sights, what do they do after being sighted in? Yep, once again they are more or less ignored.

So does a sight that is rarely used need to cost $120 ?

Here's an interesting read..........

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Mike,

Is there an advantage to using a SS barrel or a barrel that is not chrome lined? I read that chrome lined is really only necessary if the gun will be used in harsh environments and that they are not as accurate as non-lined barrels.

What do you think?

And what about twist? 1:7-1:9. Would there be much difference? As you are aware, the more I tighten my specs on what I want to build, the less options I have available. Though, that could be a good thing.:D

It all depends on what the purpose of the rifle is. If you want to squeeze out every last bit of accuracy from your barrel, SS or non chromed lined gives you a little bit more. If you are not a fanatic about keeping your rifle spotless and only clean it once in a blue moon, the chrome lining will help.

Twist rate :twocents: It depends on what bullet you will be shooting. Longer, heavier bullets tend to shoot better from faster twist rates. Lighter, shorter tend to shoot better from slower twists.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Have you seen some of the "big names" beginning to advocate complete removal of their BUIS? With the technology available in current RDSs, some are viewing them as unnecessary. Surprised me.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Have you seen some of the "big names" beginning to advocate complete removal of their BUIS? With the technology available in current RDSs, some are viewing them as unnecessary. Surprised me.

yep have seen this......I'd still like to have one mounted on the rifle anyway.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

I'm glad to hear it.

While I do have a set of DD fixed sights, they are zeroed and stored with my gear. If my Aimpoint T1 fails, I've got bigger issues.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It all depends on what the purpose of the rifle is. If you want to squeeze out every last bit of accuracy from your barrel, SS or non chromed lined gives you a little bit more. If you are not a fanatic about keeping your rifle spotless and only clean it once in a blue moon, the chrome lining will help.

Twist rate :twocents: It depends on what bullet you will be shooting. Longer, heavier bullets tend to shoot better from faster twist rates. Lighter, shorter tend to shoot better from slower twists.

Fanatic; yep, that's me.

I don't know anything about what bullet to shoot at this point. Something for 3-gun, paper and maybe varmints if I get the chance one day.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like it will hurt or add a bunch of weight to run BUIS.

Another reason to go with the inexpensive (not cheap) Magpuls.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Cheap? Far from it. Inexpensive is a better word. I have more expensive buis on other rifles. What do these sights do after being sighted in? yep, that's right, the stay folded down out of the way. I also have fixed rear sights, what do they do after being sighted in? Yep, once again they are more or less ignored.

Here's an interesting read..........

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html

Thanks for the link. I am very surprised by the results, but it is what it is.
    Like the upper btw.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Palmettostatearmory.com has,the MBUS2 on sale for $39 and free shipping until noon tomorrow I think. I just got one. Use code 'july4', which was verified good as of tonight.

PS, I don't believe BUIS are necessary with an Aimpoint, but the main reason I ordered one for my new AR is so I can zero it to the red dot, and vice versa. That way if I ever change scopes, I can just center the new scope to the BUIS, and have it centered without firing a shot, which saves time and money, but mainly it saves frustration.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom