Painting help: Rockler HVLP Spray System?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I have about a dozen wood doors and the same number of kitchen cabinet doors I want to paint.

I am not a wood worker or painter, but ran across this when doing some online research: a Rockler HVLP spray system. It's said to be good for finishing and oil based paints. (HVLP Spray System - Rockler Woodworking Tools)

Seems to have good reviews, but then again, being ignorant on this subject, I don't know anything about this company or its track record.

Any thoughts on this or an alternate approach to the job? I really don't want to brush paint all this stuff.

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Any decent paint sprayer will do. The HVLP systems do put on a good finish though. I have never used the Rockler system before but it seems to get good reviews. Brushing the doors will leave brushstrokes that you will see after drying. I would only brush them as a last resort. Wish you lived closer I would just spray them for you. You could always rent a sprayer if you don't do much painting. Not sure how much spraying experience you have but one thing to remember is to make sure your hand is in motion before pulling the trigger on the sprayer. I would practice on a few scrap pieces of wood before you spray the doors because sprayers can take some getting used to before you get good with them. Good luck and I hope they turn out great!!!

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Thanks for the tip, Rock!

Probably won't get to it all until spring, but I might as well get the sprayer while it's on sale. :)

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've seen that sprayer go on sale for $80, and IMO I still do not think it will do what you want it to do. I have a $1K 4-stage Turbine HVLP, and it does not do what I want it to do (household latex paint, thinned with Flotrol). Do a search on woodnet.net for HVLP (make sure you choose at least 12 mos, because the default is 1 week), and you will get a lot of information there. As far as some of the "cheaper" models, I think you will find that people have been happy with the Earlex model. Now, I'm no expert either, but if you are shooting household paints, then you will not get the results you are expecting, especially with the Rockler model.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   1
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Rent an Airless spray rig from Sherwin Williams or..... Much easier for a novice than HVLP. Take the Doors and spray them face up and sitting on something to prevent the paint from running or the doors sticking to the drop cloth, plastic, cardboard or whatever you protect the floor with. Making sure the gun was moving before pulling the trigger is good advice.The biggest problem painting kitchen cabinets is to get them clean enough for the paint to adhere. Use a premium quality paint. Oil base paint works better, acrylic paints dry faster with less solvent smell. You will want a 211 spray tip for the gun. Do Not Let Any Part Of Your Body Contact The Spray Tip! Airless spray guns can inject your skin with paint and the cure is amputation. If you can work around that stipulation the airless system is very easy to use.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Rent an Airless spray rig from Sherwin Williams or..... Much easier for a novice than HVLP. ... Do Not Let Any Part Of Your Body Contact The Spray Tip! Airless spray guns can inject your skin with paint and the cure is amputation. If you can work around that stipulation the airless system is very easy to use.

Uhhhh...maybe painting with a brush isn't so bad after all? Even if it takes a few years...

So, let me ask this: Am I at risk of amputation with an HVLP or just the airless spray gun? I can stand a sloppy job over losing a hand. I assume it can go through gloves?

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    I just realized you are from Noblesville, and the ironic part is that I'm selling my HVLP tomorrow. If I was going to hold on to it, you would have been welcome to give it a test drive. I think you will be just fine with the airless. If you look on Craigslist, you should be able to find one around $100.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   1
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Uhhhh...maybe painting with a brush isn't so bad after all? Even if it takes a few years...

So, let me ask this: Am I at risk of amputation with an HVLP or just the airless spray gun? I can stand a sloppy job over losing a hand. I assume it can go through gloves?
    Just dont point the gun at any thing you do not want to shoot/paint. Just like any gun. The range for injection hazard is maybe an inch or so in front of the tip of the gun. The gun should have a tip guard in place to prevent accidental contact. Gloves are always good. MY HVLP unit carries an injection hazard warning as well, though it does operate at lower pressure.

Sucel1933

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    2172 Lyndon Street
    Fuji 2903-T70 Mini-Mite 3-T70 HLVP Spray System is the best paint sprayer brand known to me so far.. It is portable and easy to transport. I have just buy my mini-mite 3 few months back and refinished an antique bed. Turned out great. Easy to use, adjust and clean. Be sure to properly thin your material and do test sprays. Seems to be a solid unit at this point and will update after more projects.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I've been looking at this same thing. I plan on painting all the stained wood trim in my house and then about 24 stained doors. I just purchased Sherwin Williams Pro Classic water based enamel, supposed to layer very flat but still easy clean up and shouldn't yellow like some oil based paints. I've going back and forth between the HLVP guns or just spending the $300 on an airless system and then selling when I'm done. Since I have zero experience I cannot make up my mind what to do. Once I get all the doors off I want to be able to shoot the finish I one weekend and be done with it and not have to mess around with equipment.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I've been looking at this same thing. I plan on painting all the stained wood trim in my house and then about 24 stained doors. I just purchased Sherwin Williams Pro Classic water based enamel, supposed to layer very flat but still easy clean up and shouldn't yellow like some oil based paints. I've going back and forth between the HLVP guns or just spending the $300 on an airless system and then selling when I'm done. Since I have zero experience I cannot make up my mind what to do. Once I get all the doors off I want to be able to shoot the finish I one weekend and be done with it and not have to mess around with equipment.

Top Bottom