• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, it took them a long time, but the powers that be have declined to press charges against the school and those involved. The civil suit is still pending, tho.

The Associated Press: Feds: No charges in Pa. school laptop-spying case

Anyone want to take bets on whether they'll do this again? My bet is that it will continue.

*** Note from Spasmo *** Part I can be found here https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tudents_via_school-issued_laptop_webcams.html
    Thread was split because of copyright rules and the original thread was closed.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    hmm yet a guy on a motorcycle with a helmet cam possessed criminal intent when he put his police interaction on the internet? I call BS

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Then that means people can hack other people's web cam and not have to worry about charges! YAY!

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    What im wanting to know is who is going to report scutters post for violating the rules now that the thread has been bumped :D

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    In PA, it is illegal to record a conversation without the other party's knowledge if there is a reasonable expectation of privacy or non-interception.

Also of interest, PA has an "official oppression" law, which permits private citizens to file criminal complaints against government officials who violate the law, regardless of whether or not the cops want to do so. The DA is required by law to respond to such complaints within a certain time frame. Also, "official oppression" is, in and of itself, a criminal act.

Gosh Joe, I don't understand your ire at this situation given your position about government organizations and their methods of gathering information on the people under their jurisdiction.

The school was just using this "Tool" as an involuntary "questionaire" to gather "necessary" information on citizens to better serve them.

Seems to me this sort of thing is along the same lines as someone sending someone to talk with your neighbors to gather intel on you and your residence.

:noway:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Gosh Joe, I don't understand your ire at this situation given your position about government organizations and their methods of gathering information on the people under their jurisdiction.

The school was just using this "Tool" as an involuntary "questionaire" to gather "necessary" information on citizens to better serve them.

Seems to me this sort of thing is along the same lines as someone sending someone to talk with your neighbors to gather intel on you and your residence.

:noway:

Really? Are you REALLY unable to tell the difference between a Constitutionally mandated Census, and spying on people in their homes? Seriously? I mean, you can type, you can apparently breath on your own, are you REALLY asking us to believe that you are unable to differentiate between the two?

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Really? Are you REALLY unable to tell the difference between a Constitutionally mandated Census, and spying on people in their homes? Seriously? I mean, you can type, you can apparently breath on your own, are you REALLY asking us to believe that you are unable to differentiate between the two?

Really? Are you REALLY unable to tell the similarities between a group of people gathering information via operatives vs. electronics? Seriously? I mean, you can type, you can aparently breathe on your own, are you REALLY asking us to believe that you are unable to see the similarities?

I have two words for you.

Patriot Act.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Really? Are you REALLY unable to tell the similarities between a group of people gathering information via operatives vs. electronics? Seriously? I mean, you can type, you can aparently breathe on your own, are you REALLY asking us to believe that you are unable to see the similarities?

I have two words for you.

Patriot Act.

Are you claiming this school was conducting Census work, and doing so under the guidelines of the Patriot Act, by activating spy cams in the homes of their students? You are going to have to draw out your version of reality for me, seriously. I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Are you claiming this school was conducting Census work, and doing so under the guidelines of the Patriot Act, by activating spy cams in the homes of their students? You are going to have to draw out your version of reality for me, seriously. I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

No, I'm saying that I think unwarranted surveillance of citizens is wrong, no matter how you execute it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Two separate issues, Joe.

The Constitutional mandate for the Census is to enumerate (count) the population primarily but not exclusively to apportion representation.

Going and talking to neighbors about any other matter related to me or my house other than "How many lived there in April?" is not enumerating, although I suppose the argument could be made "if you have nothing to hide..."

The Census is not surveillance. The "Patriot Act" is surveillance.

Blessings,
    Bill

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Two separate issues, Joe.

The Constitutional mandate for the Census is to enumerate (count) the population primarily but not exclusively to apportion representation.

Going and talking to neighbors about any other matter related to me or my house other than "How many lived there in April?" is not enumerating, although I suppose the argument could be made "if you have nothing to hide..."

The Census is not surveillance. The "Patriot Act" is surveillance.

Blessings,
    Bill

This^^ :yesway:

Top Bottom