• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    Just curious as to what barrel length people consider the minimum to have a real benefit of +P ammo? Since most people opt for shorter barrels in a CC gun, sticking with standard pressure to avoid the flash and recoil seems reasonable under 3.5" to me. Granted my new 6906 doesn't suffer from a recoil issue due to its all metal construction so I see no reason not to use +P in it. Thoughts? Specifically referring to 9mm but feel free to voice other caliber info too.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Or....buy the Speer Gold Dot Short Barreled stuff... Definitely optimized for short barrels!

But shorter barrel or not - there will still be an increase in velocity over standard pressure stuff.

Boom and recoil will also probably be higher.

More flash - maybe.

It's all about finding what works for "you" and whatnot.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If your goal is simply adequate penetration and expansion in a defensive context, +P ammunition is not generally required in "duty length" barrels to achieve this (i.e. about 3.5" or more in 9/40, about 4" or more in .45). So, I don't think there's much, if any benefit, in the longer barrels.

OTOH, I see more benefit in shorter barrels if/when you need to get the velocity (that you lost by shortening the barrel) back up - so that the bullet performs as designed.

See "barrel length implications" note here ==>> Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

So, I don't generally start to think about +P loads (and/or possibly a lighter bullet) unless I'm significantly under 3.5" in 9/40, or 4" in .45, and even then there are some non-+P short barrel specific loads that work pretty well these days (as previously mentioned).

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    On top of all that, there is no SAAMI specification for what constitutes "+P" or "+P+" or any other combination plusses and Ps. It is entirely whatever the manufacturer says. About the only safe assumption about +P ammunition is, if there is a non+P offering of the same ammo from the same manufacturer, the +P version will be somewhat hotter.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    On top of all that, there is no SAAMI specification for what constitutes "+P" or "+P+" or any other combination plusses and Ps. It is entirely whatever the manufacturer says. About the only safe assumption about +P ammunition is, if there is a non+P offering of the same ammo from the same manufacturer, the +P version will be somewhat hotter.

And costlier :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Not true.

9x19, .38 Special, .45ACP, .38 Auto/Super, and .45 Colt all have SAAMI spec +p numbers.

SAAMI

Certainly not +p+ - that is indeed above and beyond SAAMI specifications.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Just curious as to what barrel length people consider the minimum to have a real benefit of +P ammo? Since most people opt for shorter barrels in a CC gun, sticking with standard pressure to avoid the flash and recoil seems reasonable under 3.5" to me. Granted my new 6906 doesn't suffer from a recoil issue due to its all metal construction so I see no reason not to use +P in it. Thoughts? Specifically referring to 9mm but feel free to voice other caliber info too.

I use +P in everything EXCEPT my S&W 66.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have a .357 Ruger SP101. Can you get +P+ for .357 magnum? That could be amusing. Rather than shooting +p I am shooting fairly mild 110 gr. magnum loads from my snubby. after testing in wetpack I decided that full power .357's could be considered "unnecessary roughness". Couldn't a prosecutor make an issue out of your choice in firepower? I have had more than 1 officer ask me why I think I need such a powerful gun. (maybe because 12 gauge's are so hard to conceal?)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I have a .357 Ruger SP101. Can you get +P+ for .357 magnum? That could be amusing. Rather than shooting +p I am shooting fairly mild 110 gr. magnum loads from my snubby. after testing in wetpack I decided that full power .357's could be considered "unnecessary roughness". Couldn't a prosecutor make an issue out of your choice in firepower? I have had more than 1 officer ask me why I think I need such a powerful gun. (maybe because 12 gauge's are so hard to conceal?)

A handgun is a pitiful fight stopper so there is basically no "overkill" in a self defense scenario besides one that jeopardizes innocent bystanders.

I would not recommend a .50bmg for home defense ;)

As for a prosecutor in Indiana you don't have to worry about that if the shooting was considered self defense thanks to our "Stand your Ground" laws since you can be placed in no legal jeopardy. If it looks like manslaughter/murder then ammo choice is really the least of your worries.

Spucky138

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I use +p .38 special in my LCR. The only diffence that I can see is that the recoil is quite a bit rougher. Accuracy was still the same however.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    +P in typical handgun calibers (9mm. .38 Special) is pretty much ALWAYS an advantage velocity (and therefore chances of expansion) wise in any barrel length even snub guns. It is especially helpful in the case of .38 Special, .44 Special and .45 colt as these are typically loaded at pitifully slow speeds by most brands due to liability concerns with so many ancient guns out there in these calibers.

Recoil-wise I don't notice a great difference between standard and +P in .38, 9mm. .44 Special or .45 Colt (or .45 ACP for that matter). And trust me you wont either after you've shot more. Recoil is in the head as much as it's in the hand (at least with standard handguns - not counting the .454 Casull and up stuff here).

As for cost Ive never noticed +P costing more than the standard pressure versions of the same round. You must compare the same item though (like 9MM HST versus +P HST)

As for +P+ - I don't recommend or use the stuff. As has been noted there are no complete SAAMI standards for that. What I personally NEVER recommend are rounds that are HEAVY for the caliber. These would include:

9mm heavier than 124 grain
    .38 Special heavier than 158 (and 158 should only be used for defense with the old soft lead hollow-point "FBI load". 110-135 is fine for jacketed .38 hollow-points.)
    .357 Magnum heavier than 158 (and really the 110-135 is optimal here also)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    What I personally NEVER recommend are rounds that are HEAVY for the caliber. These would include:

9mm heavier than 124 grain
    .38 Special heavier than 158 (and 158 should only be used for defense with the old soft lead hollow-point "FBI load". 110-135 is fine for jacketed .38 hollow-points.)
    .357 Magnum heavier than 158 (and really the 110-135 is optimal here also)

What is your reasoning for this? Lots of good 9mm rounds are 147 gr and it has the benefit of being close to subsonic for suppressed pistols.

Heavier bullets retain their energy better and pistol rounds need all the help they can get in a fight.

c604

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgantown
    I like the +p 45 acp ammo. In the lighter weight bullets it shoots to point of aim in my commander. Just anouther tool to try for fixed sight guns.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    What is your reasoning for this? Lots of good 9mm rounds are 147 gr and it has the benefit of being close to subsonic for suppressed pistols.

Heavier bullets retain their energy better and pistol rounds need all the help they can get in a fight.

Well there are LOTs of theories and we can argue about ballistics forever. But it IS fun so... For me -my purpose -MY ONLY purpose for a handgun is personal defense. And most of the time this would probably be in a city situation with lots of bystanders around, I want my round to go in the bad guy, expand, do lots of damage and NOT EXIT. That last bit is probably the most important one from a liability concern. It needs to STAY IN THERE. Heavier rounds tend to penetrate MORE and expand LESS. The 147 grain 9mm round is a FATTY that exceeds the standard original loading by 23 grains. Since it is a heavier round it is also a SLOWER round. You can Google it if you want but there have been a LOT of failures both in stopping power and in slide cycling reliability with the 147 grain round. Admittedly these have mostly been with early versions and the more recent offerings are MUCH improved...but then the 124 and 115 grain version of the same rounds have also improved. So I'd say just stay with what has been proven OVER AND OVER to work well in the 9mm and that is the 115/124 grain JHPs (especially at +P loadings). 2nd post in this thread Masaad Ayoob himself goes into this a bit: 147 gr for SD? - Glock Talk

CAT 1000B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    I don't tend to worry to much if my self defense ammo is +p or not. We all have a good idea what the best bullet designs are for defense situations are. If I am carrying a factory load with a bullet design I trust, I feel that I am well prepared, +p or not.

Top Bottom