• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Hawthorns can create similar problems. Spikes just aren't quite as long. Cut one down a few years ago and ran one of the spikes into my ankle when moving the branches around. Hurt like Son of a B ****! Hadn't had a Tetanus in over ten years, so off to the ER and a couple of shots to handle the Tetanus and potential infection which is a real possibility. Hurt for days. Don't wait too long to go though. If infection has a chance to set it good, you are in for a round of I.V. antibiotics. NO FUN! :n00b:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A few years ago, my wife signed up for one of the Arbor day deals--(I don't know why). As part of the deal, they sent her a bundle of "trees" that were to be planted. Of course they were the bare root, saplings I guess you'd call them. A large percentage of them were these locust trees. They were the only ones, that in the planting instructions, that implored you to not discard these trees--they were good for the wildlife, native, blah, blah, blah---they went right into the trash can.

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    All honey locusts should be cut down, dug up, incinerated, and the earth where they grew salted. There is nothing of redeeming value in that species.
    they are great great firewood. as a matter of fact if any of you in the metro Indy area or close to have any you want removed. let me know and I will remove for free.
    as long as I don't have to worry about it falling on houses or power lines.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    This is why we wear real footwear ladies, instead of those worthless flip-flops. Shoes are designed to protect the feet, and flip-flops do the absolute worst job of that. They are barely one step up from going barefoot.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    We have tons of black locusts. A few of the very old ones are riddled with disease, have shelf fungi as big as my head too. We have 3 that we planted last year and they are like 6 feet tall now. They are great trees.

Good luck 88! My puncture wound from the decorative pin healed quickly and cleanly. I used Epsom salt like you guys recommended in my thread. Tree spikes are extra nasty though, I think the docs is good move.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    This is why we wear real footwear ladies, instead of those worthless flip-flops. Shoes are designed to protect the feet, and flip-flops do the absolute worst job of that. They are barely one step up from going barefoot.
    I've got news for you, Mr. SmartyPants, unless your definition of "real" includes combat boots and nothing else, I was getting stabbed. :D. At least with the flip flops I could get my shoe off and deal with it.

Went to doc yesterday morn. Infection was already setting in based on redness emanating from puncture site. Keflex 1000mg a day and a tetanus shot and I should be okay. He gave me the option of digging for the piece that may not even be there or waiting for it to worn out on its own. I opted for the latter. I'm not convinced there's anything there anyway. However it hurts badly and I'm walking like a crip. And now my arm aches from the tetanus shot too. :):

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Honey locusts have one function: natural barbed wire. Stick a few of these babies along your property line and no one will be trespassing ever again. Other than that they are the worst kind of nuisance.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Your body will absorb it on short order. Heck, I think I had a small rock disappear into my foot. I imagine it's still floating around in the soft tissue, but it doesn't hurt so it must be encapsulated in some way. The body is amazingly good at this sort of stuff.

Top Bottom