• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I don't remember as many commercials, radio spots, mailings, etc. in 2000. Maybe I simply wasn't paying as much attention back then. I do think its funny that they don't even hide the fact that its all about money now. The radio spots are sickening...participate or your community will be punished by not receiving money for roads and schools!

I too received my reminder letter that the real form will be coming soon. Even my wife, who is much less cynical than I, got a laugh out of the "pre-census" letter.

In 2000 the Clinton Administration conducted the census by "statistical sampling." IOW, they would do things like count the number of houses in a small area, make an estimate of how many people lived in them, and use that guess to make another guess at how many people lived in a larger area. They did not conduct an actual headcount.

All the people complaining now about the Census conducting a really for real headcount, which is what the Constitution actually requires? You guessed it, they were up in arms then saying the Administration was playing games with the Census. Just ain't no pleasin' some folks!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Joe Williams,
    Will you be armed during your census tour? Or do they take away that right for $15/hr?

If you come to my door, you'd better be ready to talk about guns with me. :):

I really don't know if we are allowed to be armed or not. They never addressed the issue while covering the rules and safety issues during training.

I am, of course, always up for gun talk :D

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I really don't know if we are allowed to be armed or not. They never addressed the issue while covering the rules and safety issues during training.

I am, of course, always up for gun talk :D

I'm guessing that if it comes up, they'll say you can't, so definitely don't bring it up. I certainly wouldn't do that job without being armed. You never know when you'll need to shoot a dog in self-defense. :draw:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm guessing that if it comes up, they'll say you can't, so definitely don't bring it up. I certainly wouldn't do that job without being armed. You never know when you'll need to shoot a dog in self-defense. :draw:
    That's ridiculous, why would a census worker need to shoot a dog,...oh wait...

Charges brought in dog attack
    Residents whose dogs allegedly killed woman charged with criminal recklessness
    By Stephanie Holmes
    June 24, 2000 Herald-Times

Two Brown County residents were charged Friday with criminal recklessness in connection with the dog attack that killed Dorothy Stewart, a 71-year-old census worker. Wayne Newton, 44, and Joann Latvaitis, 37, were charged with criminal recklessness, a Class D felony, harboring a nonimmunized dog, a Class B misdemeanor, and possession of marijuana, a Class A misdemeanor. Newton's charge for the possession of marijuana was elevated to a Class D felony because he was previously convicted of a similar offense in Monroe County.

Brown County Prosecutor Jim Oliver brought the charges after taking 13 days to weigh the evidence, talk with Stewart's family and consult other prosecutors. He said he wished he could have imposed more serious charges.

"I'm disappointed I don't have a potentially useful tool in this case, but I made sure to charge a crime we could prove," Oliver said. "I'm sure that the legislators never imagined a case like this when they drafted these laws."

The body of Stewart was found earlier this month outside a rural home where she had gone to survey the occupants. An autopsy determined that she died after being attacked by as many as 20 dogs on the property.

Newton and Latavitis turned themselves in to Brown County Jail Friday morning after warrants were issued for their arrests. Both made bond and were released Friday afternoon pending an initial hearing set for Tuesday.

The felony counts carry jail sentences of six months to three years. Penalties for a Class A misdemeanor include up to one year in jail and a Class B misdemeanor can bring a sentence of up to 180 days.

Mike Cagle, Stewart's son who attended the press conference held in Nashville on Friday, said although he was disappointed that the law couldn't increase the severity of the charges, he thought the charges themselves were basically irrelevant because they couldn't bring his mother back.

"She was more than just my mother. She was a wonderful, multifaceted and quirky woman," Cagle said. "We intend to talk to lawmakers. This kind of thing could happen again, and we hope to be able to throw a bigger book at the offenders."

An Indiana law passed in 1993 makes dog owners criminally responsible when their animals kill a person while running loose. However, that law specifically exempts killings on the dog owner's property.

An autopsy found that Stewart's death resulted from the dog attack. Latavitis returned to her home and found Stewart's body about three feet from the front steps with about 20 dogs circulating in the area around the house.

Although Stewart was only about three miles from her own home on Yellowwood Road, papers were found around her body and police believe Stewart was collecting census information at the time of her death.

Oliver said the evidence suggests that Newton and Latvaitis kept a pack of dogs, which they knew were aggressive and had bitten people in the past.

In 1990 Latvaitis was charged with three counts of allowing her dogs to stray beyond her property. Two months later, she got an approval from the Brown County Zoning Board of Appeals to build a kennel for 12 dogs on her property. Newton was fined in 1994 for violating the leash law. Numerous other complaints had been filed regarding dogs running loose.

Although all of the dogs have been destroyed through various means, Oliver said Brown County intends to stiffen the laws regarding stray dogs.

In addition to Stewart, six other U.S. Census workers have died on the job this year — five in auto accidents and one because of a stroke. Stewart's attack prompted census officials to reiterate that the safety of its employees was of "paramount importance" — even if it means not getting the job done right away.

"Any time local officials express their support for the safety of our enumerators we're gratified," Steve Jost, associated director for the Census Bureau, said from his office in Maryland on Friday.

A census director traveled to Indiana last week to meet with the local census office staff and speak with family members the day before the service on Saturday to express the bureau's condolences and regrets.

Oliver was among those who went to the shelter house at Yellowwood Lake to remember Stewart.

"I now understand how deeply this loss was felt to the community and I was there to show my gratitude," Oliver said.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    In 2000 the Clinton Administration conducted the census by "statistical sampling." IOW, they would do things like count the number of houses in a small area, make an estimate of how many people lived in them, and use that guess to make another guess at how many people lived in a larger area. They did not conduct an actual headcount.

All the people complaining now about the Census conducting a really for real headcount, which is what the Constitution actually requires? You guessed it, they were up in arms then saying the Administration was playing games with the Census. Just ain't no pleasin' some folks!

So why isn't there just 1 question on the form? How many adults live here? That seems like all you need for an enumeration to set districts. Other than the spending and the GPS, I think that is the major complaint most people have.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So why isn't there just 1 question on the form? How many adults live here? That seems like all you need for an enumeration to set districts. Other than the spending and the GPS, I think that is the major complaint most people have.

Why are you asking me? That's utterly pointless. The Constitution doesn't give "Joe Williams" the authority to determine how to conduct the Census. Call your Congresscritter. They are who sets those rules, and they work for you.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Why are you asking me? That's utterly pointless. The Constitution doesn't give "Joe Williams" the authority to determine how to conduct the Census. Call your Congresscritter. They are who sets those rules, and they work for you.

Well, its a discussion board. I was merely trying to point out what I perceive as people's objection to the census. Have a nice day. :ingo:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Becuase sadly to "common US Citizen Joe/Jane" YOU (as a temp federal employee) are the ONLY interaction that they have with our federal government. Chances are good that they don't get any emails from their rep/congressman since they probably are not on the mailing list, how often is there rep on the news, how often does their rep come to town, hold any type of meetings, etc...

Most people now-a-days are just real busy. Thus when YOU come a knocking you are going to hear (99%) of the time all the bad things they feel the feds are doing. It's not right but that is the way life is. Just like how any sitting president is always blamed for everything in the nation when in fact it's congress that passes laws, spends $$$, etc... Yet the "face of the nation" is one person. It's just human nature to focus on a single item.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Becuase sadly to "common US Citizen Joe/Jane" YOU (as a temp federal employee) are the ONLY interaction that they have with our federal government. Chances are good that they don't get any emails from their rep/congressman since they probably are not on the mailing list, how often is there rep on the news, how often does their rep come to town, hold any type of meetings, etc...

Most people now-a-days are just real busy. Thus when YOU come a knocking you are going to hear (99%) of the time all the bad things they feel the feds are doing. It's not right but that is the way life is. Just like how any sitting president is always blamed for everything in the nation when in fact it's congress that passes laws, spends $$$, etc... Yet the "face of the nation" is one person. It's just human nature to focus on a single item.

Yeah, I know why folks yammer at me. It's just pointless. Frankly, I'm writing a letter to my congressman because I cannot see why I'm currently doing essentially what I did last year. Only this time with paper instead of computers. They say they are using info gained this time around to refine the 2020 Census procedure. Maybe next time, they'll just do address canvassing once, instead of doing it almost a year ahead of time, and having to update it later. Maybe they've got good reason. As you pointed out I'm a "temp federal employee," as low on the totem pole as they go!

As for the letters and all, they say that every additional percentage of the population they get to respond saves a massive amount of money in follow up calls, and personal visits. Supposedly, it's cheaper to send the letters and run the commercials than without, because a fair number of people respond.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I thought it an act of idiocy yesterday when I got a letter in the mail telling me that the census form would be coming out in a matter of weeks. If a person is going to blow off the census form itself, what good is a letter in advance going to do?

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Michelle Malkin My race is “American”

My race is “American”
    By Michelle Malkin • March 9, 2010 10:47 AM

Fully one-quarter of the space on this year’s form is taken up with questions of race and ethnicity, which are clearly illegitimate and none of the government’s business (despite the New York Times’ assurances to the contrary on today’s editorial page). So until we succeed in building the needed wall of separation between race and state, I have a proposal.

Question 9 on the census form asks “What is Person 1’s race?” (and so on, for other members of the household). My initial impulse was simply to misidentify my race so as to throw a monkey wrench into the statistics; I had fun doing this on the personal-information form my college required every semester, where I was a Puerto Rican Muslim one semester, and a Samoan Buddhist the next. But lying in this constitutionally mandated process is wrong. Really — don’t do it.

Instead, we should answer Question 9 by checking the last option — “Some other race” — and writing in “American.” It’s a truthful answer but at the same time is a way for ordinary citizens to express their rejection of unconstitutional racial classification schemes. In fact, “American” was the plurality ancestry selection for respondents to the 2000 census in four states and several hundred counties.

So remember: Question 9 — “Some other race” — “American”. Pass it on.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Or just don't put anything in the race section. It was originally added not to determine who people were, but to determine who 3/5's of people were.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Joe, when I check the box, do I fill it in completely, or can I just put an x there in the box?
    Do I use #2 pencil or pen?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Joe, when I check the box, do I fill it in completely, or can I just put an x there in the box?
    Do I use #2 pencil or pen?

Yes.

Well, I was just going to leave it at "yes," but ya'll are my friends, so I will let you know that you must fill the squares in completely. Failure to do so will result in visits from the waterboarding team.

Top Bottom