• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    i remember shoving my rifle through a van window aimpoint and all and never lost my zero.

A police officer out west had his cruiser hit by a semi or somesuch a few years ago; pancaked the car. The officer reached into what was left of the vehicle and pulled out the remains of his patrol rifle, which had an Aimpoint mounted to it. Aimpoint was slightly "out of round" but the reticle still illuminated. He put the sight on another rifle and shot it, producing a nice tight group (no wandering zero). Amazing. I recall seeing pics and reading the account on the 10-8 Forum at the time.

pillsbury1983

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'm starting to lean towards getting an Aimpoint. I wouldn't mind an ACOG but the price is a huge detractor. I might save up to get one for my next AR. No matter what I can't get anything until my GI Bill starts back up for the fall semester.

matthewdanger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Aimpoints are excellent optics especially when you learn how to really make the most of them. They are extremely well suited for the AR-15. Battery life is amazing and they are extremely durable. I have owned and liked EOTechs but, in my opinion, they do not compare.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have an Aimpoint on an M1 shotty... don't recall the model number but it is old. No problems with it at all.

I also now have an AR that I want to put optics on. Which model Aimpoint? Don't want any magnification on it because I like to keep both eyes open.

Bought a generic EO but sent it back as it was junk. Learned from that one. Was leaning toward a used EO but now am thinking that maybe an Aimpoint would be better suited for me.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I also now have an AR that I want to put optics on. Which model Aimpoint? Don't want any magnification on it because I like to keep both eyes open.

Aimpoints, by definition, have no magnification-- they are all 1x. (Actually, I think there may have been a 2X version at some point)

For a low-cost option, I recommend the CompC3. For a lightweight option, the H1.

Last edited:

matthewdanger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008

If weight is the primary concern - T1 or H1
    If cost is the primary concern - M2 or C3
    If battery life and commonality are the primary concern - M4 or M4S
    If extreme durability is the primary concern - M4 or M4S (all Aimpoints are VERY durable)

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    This one will be easy. :D

Aimpoint. 50,000 hours vs. a few hundred hours with EOThingy.

Aimpoint. There is one rotary knob-- that's it. It can be manipulated in the cold, wet, dark, or with a gloved hand. EOThingy has rubber pushbuttons that are more complicated and difficult.

Aimpoint. Its a tube vs. a EOThingy's shrouded window.

At the last MDFI class they were talking about a military unit that sent back their EOThingys after reporting a 33% failure rate. :n00b:

Now, keep in mind that these attributes become very important in the spooky places on Earth, but not so much for casual range days. Its all relative, but if you were gonna put this on a 'serious' gun, I'd stick to the Aimpoint.

I was ready to pull the trigger on an EOTech. Then, I read this and was swayed to your side. Thanks esrice ;)

Bryanearl

Plinker
    Rating - 57.1%
    4   3   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Rosedale, Indiana
    Im curious in a survival situation how handy you all think a scope would be? I see pros and cons in neccessity. If a target is that far away I wouldn't want to draw attention an d if they are close enough for self defense how often do you use an optic type sight? Granted I dont use them much so I am curious what your thoughts are?

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I got the same setup from LaRue, but I just couldn't get used to the height of the mount. I went with ARMS mount and it made the perfect difference. LaRue does make quality products (understatement of the year) though.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Im curious in a survival situation how handy you all think a scope would be? I see pros and cons in neccessity. If a target is that far away I wouldn't want to draw attention an d if they are close enough for self defense how often do you use an optic type sight? Granted I dont use them much so I am curious what your thoughts are?

The optics mentioned here aren't "scopes"; they don't have any magnification, so are suited better for close quarters. It is amazing how much quicker you can acquire and get on target with these optics.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I decided to go with an Aimpoint CompM3 in a Larue Mount.

Smart choice.

My SBR has evolved over the years, in fact the pic below is old, but one thing stays the same. The optic and mount. (ML3 2moa dot in a LaRue mount.)

SBRNEW_004.jpg

Bryanearl

Plinker
    Rating - 57.1%
    4   3   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Rosedale, Indiana
    The optics mentioned here aren't "scopes"; they don't have any magnification, so are suited better for close quarters. It is amazing how much quicker you can acquire and get on target with these optics.

I see so more on targeting in on a certain spot even in close quarters not bringing things closer. Sorry for stupid question. I have an aimpoint just dont have it mounted on anything ha!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I see so more on targeting in on a certain spot even in close quarters not bringing things closer. Sorry for stupid question. I have an aimpoint just dont have it mounted on anything ha!

Kinda.

The benefit of a red dot sight is in the fact that you can sight with just a single point (the red dot) versus two points (front and rear iron sights). Red dots allow the shooter to aim MUCH quicker than lining up irons, allow him/her to make hits faster. They also have the added benefit of being correct regardless of the shooter's head position or cheekweld, making shots from odd positions easier.

If you've never shot something to compare irons vs. Aimpoint, you really should-- its like magic. :D

Top Bottom