• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFT

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Valpo
    Would there be a noticable difference between a Kimber and other less expensive guns, for someone who wants home defense, sometime carry and fun at the range?

maxcoen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    North Side
    Would there be a noticable difference between a Kimber and other less expensive guns, for someone who wants home defense, sometime carry and fun at the range?

Are you just talking 1911's or all pistols? If 1911 I will say yes their fit finish and performance are well worth the price.

maxcoen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    North Side
    I looked at allot of 1911s when I was shopping for mine. I just thought the feel was the best of all the others. (even the colts) I had some FTF problems the first few trips to the range but since I hit the magic 500 rounds through it I have not had one prob. I am sure some more experienced Kimber owners will chime in shortly.

I think every collection needs a 1911 to be complete.

spanky_27

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Columbus
    every one ive shot has never gave me any problems. i own a kimber compact custom and a springfield full size i dont have any problems carying either one. the kimber is a little higher in price than the springfield but i would trust both to keep me and my family safe.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    FTF = failure to feed, and on the 1911 front i just got a dan wesson cbob for $925 + tax, its a very good quality 1911 for a little cheaper than the springfields or kimbers so do your own due diligence there

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    There is something about the silky smooth action, crisp trigger and perfect balance that set Kimber apart from other, comprobaly priced 1911's. Not to mention the match grade features that come standard on their pistols.

RFT

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Valpo
    Appreciate the input.

Went to our local gun shop to check out a Kimber. However, they told me they're boycotting Kimber because of a chronic barrel rusting problem. Says the last 30 or 40 Kimbers have had this issue. They'll do special order only. He showed me several on display that had corrosion. Looked nasty, they're not small isolated spots. Kimber claims its a store related climate problem. But none of the other guns have that issue. I don't think its the store either, its a nice place that feels like it has good climate control.

Other than finding an older production piece, I'll be looking at others like the Dan Wesson and Springfield.

Have another basic question. What makes a 1911 a 1911, vs another semi-auto like the Glock, which appears to have the same core mechanical design?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    A Glock and 1911 have nowhere near that same mechanical design, besides a firing pin hitting a primer. Glock's are striker-fired, 1911s are hammer. No external safeties on a Glock (besides the trigger step). They're two totally different animals.

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    bought my Kimber Ultra carry II about a year ago it is a great gun! accurate easy to carry and easy to shoot well. mine shot fine right outta the box. I paid about 750.00 for it and I love it.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    A Glock and 1911 have nowhere near that same mechanical design, besides a firing pin hitting a primer. Glock's are striker-fired, 1911s are hammer. No external safeties on a Glock (besides the trigger step). They're two totally different animals.

Agreed, one is reliable (glock) the other is not (1911s)

Thrash1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    I own a Custom II and CDP Ultra II the only problems I've had with either were a few FTFs with the Custom on some handloads with the bullet seated to deep and a few during break in with the CDP with Novak mags. Both work just fine.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have a Kimber Eclipse Pro Target II and a Glock 19. Not a problem with either. Both completely reliable. I like the Kimber much better then the Glock.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have a Kimber Tactical Ultra II and a Glock 26, both are great guns. Like my Kimber the best though, but when I need to carry and not worry what might happen to the gun (environmental conditions, traveling, etc.) I grab the Glock (just not the same emotional attachment to it I guess). Got my eye on a Springfield XD 45 compact now (along with a lot of other guns, man I got to stop looking).

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Agreed, one is reliable (glock) the other is not (1911s)

:rolleyes: Lets see how my math is these days

My Glock 17 - 2 stove pipes at the last range outing
    Glock 23 - FTF twice in the first magazine of break in
    Glock 30 - Broke slide stop at round 19
    Glock 21 - Frame cracked approx round 450, returned to factory

Springfield Professional - Zero malfunctions
    Nighthawk Talon II - Zero malfunctions
    Damn my unreliable 1911's

Top Bottom