• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Gerber has certainly changed over the years. I worked at Cutlery World for about 4 years back in the late 80s. Remember, just because a knife is not made here doesn't make it bad. The best kitchen knives in the world are made in Germany.

I personally love the older Gerber and Kershaw knives. Pete Kershaw cut his teeth working for Pete Gerber back in the day (which is why Kershaw knives look similar to Gerber). My old Gerber bolt-action drop point is one of my favorite knives. I just bought a new LMF that seems to be an awesome knife.

That said, I also own a bunch of Kershaw, SpyderCo, Ek, and Case knives. You're best bet is your first impression. If you pick one up and it doesn't feel right, it's probably not.

rubicon_joey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    I'm a fan of their multi-tools. My father has got two now from work and I got his old one. He used it 5 days a week and its still in great condition. The wire cutters have a gap in them from trying to cut a nail I believe it was. My fault entirely. His new gerber actually has triangle cutters that can be rotated to use all three edges an even replaced.

Their knives seem to be fairly priced and have no real major issues with them. I gave a couple as a gift, but haven't owned one for any amount of time. The ones I have seen used (mainly the paraframes) seem to hold up pretty well and hold an edge just as well if not better than any other knife of the same price.

graham88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    Southern IN
    I agree with jeremy & bcd007 and the others.. that noted Old Gerber is a better knife!

IMHO 20 years ago Gerber was among the best…. Now Fiskars has sucked the life and what was an almost custom quality that Gerber had back in the day…..

standard.jpg

Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    As with anything else in life, you get what you pay for. If you buy a $30 Gerber EZ out, you have exactly that a $30 knife. If you fork out almost $200 for a Gerber 06 auto, you get a high quality piece.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have a Gerber LMF 2 and its killer. could not ask for a better knife under 100 bucks for a good all around camp knife. it holds an edge well and will prepare traps and help make shelters as well as it will prepare food, really a great knife for any situation in the outdoors.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I guess I'm lucky b/c all of my Gerbers are at least 20yrs old. I'm pissed about my LMF though b/c it sat in it's sheath in the box for years and one day I pulled it out and the metal rivets in the sheath had rusted and caused pits in the knife blade! The knife was perfect before that. I don't know much about knives but I like the Gerbers I do have.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Gerber is not a bad knife but you have to make sure you get an USA one.
    For fixed blade I would go with either the LMFII or the smaller version of the Prodigy. Both are great knives and USA made. I sell a lot of those 2 and never have any complaints.

If not a gerber then you have to spend more for an ESEE or a Zero Tolerance or a TOPS.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    I can't say enough about their folders. I have had the same three for about 15 years. At one time I had one of their blades go a little squirly, but sent it to them and they shipped me a brand new one free. This was after owning it for about 6 years. I couldn't be more happy with them. I have a few Gerb multi tool's I use to for my camper and boat.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have only owned a gerber suspension which I was not impressed with and a ripstop 1 which I absolutely love. It is small but solid lockup,easy opening and keeps a decent edge. I am going to try out an LMF on of these days.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have also had a Gerber E-Z-Out made in USA since i was in the 8th grade, carried that for nearly a decade and it was great, if i would not have been ruff with it one day and cracked the pocket clip off of it, i would be carrying it to this very day

Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    Old MK II's are a thing of beauty, right up there with a Randal model 1 or SOG
    Tigershark (SK-5). I have not seen the chinese make gerbers, but I would not carry one into combat unless my SOGs got up and left

Top Bottom