• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Have heard some good things about Gerber knives, both fixed blade and folders. Thinking about buying one and looking for "experienced opinions". Thanks.

Bastispah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Morristown IN
    my dad has carried the same Gerber LST since 1984. He says they sold out in the late 80's and quality has suffered since. I would like to hear what everyone else has to say.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    my dad has carried the same Gerber LST since 1984. He says they sold out in the late 80's and quality has suffered since. I would like to hear what everyone else has to say.
    Yup!
    Fiskars bought Gerber and the quality promptly went away. Fiskars uses sintered (powdered) metal instead of steel stampings.
    I have a set of the Gerber Balance Plus kitchen knives made the "old" way. My son has a set of the same knives made by Fiskars. The blades are very different. Mine stay sharp, his don't. The handles on mine are aluminum. The handles on his are plastic. Todays Gerber knives are made in China. :noway::noway::noway:
    :twocents:
    Mike

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    For the money I think they are okay. I have a Gerber Evo that I carry and use everyday. The nice thing about it I didnt spend alot of money on it so I dont think twice about what I cut with it and I wont be upset if I loose it.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I have and use a Gerber Trout and Bird knife that I have had since 1976. Yea I know I'm old. This knife has performed flawlessly for all those years. I also have had a newer pair of their game shears that were a piece of junk. From what I see the older stuff was very good but the newer stuff lacks some quality. I do have two evo folders that are pretty good for the price. I guess you just have to pay your money and take your chances. FWIW, I carry a SOG.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    I usually carry either a Gerber LST or Gerber Ultralight LST, depending on the size of my pockets, for general cutting tasks. Both were purchased within the last 3 years and are made in USA. They have held up well.

I don't trust them for self defense, though, as I always have a SOG with me.

I almost forgot... I have a Gerber multitool that is about 15 years old. Its great quality, and at the time of purchase I felt like I was getting more for my money then Leatherman. I don't know how their multitools are now, though..

Last edited:

ELMO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Kokomo, Indiana
    This past deer season I used the Freeman Stag handle S30V fixed blade knife on two deer and it worked out just fine. It stayed sharp and is still sharp right now. A very well made knife in my opinion. I have also used the Gator lock blade knife and it gutted deer out just fine, but the only thing is cleaning folder knives after gutting a deer. Not really all that bad. I like Gerber knives, the ones made in the USA....

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Unfortunately, Gerber is really hit or miss. Some of the cheap stuff is total crap, however, their high end stuff is really great (applegate, mark II, LMF). I carry my Applegate every day, and think it's the most solid combat folder for its price.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I bought one just recently and it certainly does not feel as well made as the 2 that I bought 25 or so years ago.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Have heard some good things about Gerber knives, both fixed blade and folders. Thinking about buying one and looking for "experienced opinions". Thanks.

I've had a couple and seen and used quite a few. They seem like good knives to me and I've never heard a complaint about the quality. The only one I have right now is a utility type knife like a Leatherman and it is good high quality. The only thing about it I don't like is the lack of a wood saw blade.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    For just a bit more you can have a Kershaw knife made in the USA.

I've got a Gerber Multi-Tool, and I think it's "alright"
    however I really miss my Victorinox Swiss Tool.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I have acouple I have had for years and they are great. I bought one about a year ago on sale just as a cheap spare and it was junk. If you find an old one you can feel the difference. better steel more solid all around.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    me and my soldiers broke every gerber multi tool we had. all the same soldiers with leatherman waves and xti's not a single broken one. like has been echo'd in here the older ones are good newer ones tend to brake pretty easily.

rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    i got a gerber profile knife and some other gerber knife , i like it pay'd 17 bucks for them each . i'm happy.

knifes008.jpg

excursion12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I had a couple gerbers with the lock on the back of the blade about 10 years ago. Had one of them close on my right index finger while cutting a thick piece of cardboad. I won't buy another gerber folding knife. I honestly don't remember the model but since then, I always take a new folder and try and close it with great force to make sure it is solid.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For just a bit more you can have a Kershaw knife made in the USA.

I've got a Gerber Multi-Tool, and I think it's "alright"
    however I really miss my Victorinox Swiss Tool.

I agree +1 on the little extra money for a Kershaw. I think the older Gerber knives were excellent, but are not as great recently. For the money I guess they are ok, but I would rather spend just a little more and get a higher quality knife. I have two Kershaw knives and I love them! Good luck in your decision.

GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    My pocket folder is a Kershaw Blackout. Very solid and tough. Hunting/skinning/utility knife is a Gerber LMF II I bought last year. I'm very impressed with the quality and how long it holds the edge. Some say its a bit heavy, but it doesn't bother me.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I agree with Tradertator. I have had the Gerber Combat Folder for many years and it is the easiest opening one-hander that I have ever handled. They are solid and seem to hold their edge very well. I do not like the smaller covert models nearly as well, however. My son who is a paramedic/fireman uses his in his work instead of other brands made specifically for his line of work.

Top Bottom