• ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Hey BooBoo, how about a pic-in-ic?!?!?!

Lots of groups are getting together and having having open carry meetings with great success. From VA to PA and even our neighbors to the north in Michigan.

I think it's long over due here in Indiana.

The challenge... a spot centrally located to all those attending and one where the carry of a handgun is legal.

Many cities (certainly not all, but quite a few) have ordinances against carry on city owned parks, so a state park is probably our best bet.

From following all the activity from posters disclosing approximate locations it would seem somewhere mid way between Indy and I80 would accommodate the vast majority of those attending. End goal would be having 85% of the people having to drive 2 hours or less.

First off is anyone interested, and next any suggestions. I live in NW Indiana and honestly have no idea of any parks or areas that would fit the bill in that general area.

If we can get a large enough turn out (by cross posting on other Indiana gun subforums) inviting the media would also be a great. Stories done in all three states I've mentioned turn out great.

This would have to be a child friendly event and obviously scheduled before the weather turns sub-zero.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think we should find a town/city that does not prohibit open carry on park property and do it in a city/town setting. The more the setting appears to be a 'normal suburban' setting the better it will appear in the newspaper, also the more likely that we'd be able to get a reporter to show up.

If not a city park, then maybe a county park?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I am very comfortable OCing and do love a pic-a-nic. I would drive a ways just to hang out and meet some folks. I'm on a 4 on 4 off work schedule but if it hits right, I'm there!
    :cheers:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm always up for an open carry event (when it's not a bad idea to do it), but driving a couple of hours is unlikely.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'm always up for an open carry event (when it's not a bad idea to do it), but driving a couple of hours is unlikely.

Thats why I'm trying to find a max 2 hour drive spot.

I'm also hoping we could get dozens and dozens of Hoosiers on board with this to make it more than just a "a handful" of people and make it an event media couldn't ignore. Including spouses and kids 100 would be awesome.

If we can only muster 5-10 people in NW Indiana and 5-10 in Indy breaking it into 2 events would be better and try for a bigger one next time.

If michigan got 50 people we surely can at least do the same... right?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm game but the weather is getting unpredictable. Not that sub-zero temps bother me or my kids. Just bundle up and you're good to go! LOL Seriously though, I'm not sure of anything anywhere north of Indy. There's also alot of Southern Indiana folk who would love to attend I'm sure. Is there any rules in Eagle Creek about OC? Or carry at all for that matter? Its an Indy Park so I'm not sure. Other than that I have no ideas for anything central to everyone.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I know that eagle creek is a big no to guns. They are part of indy parks and the only place you can carry at all is the eagle creek gun range and it is a "cold" range.

I am not sure about the city of marion parks if any type of carry is allowed. Nothing listed on the website.

If you think you might have a park picked out I am sure the county/city website will have the rules.

What about wite river state park down town indianapolis? I cant find anything on the website for rules, but it says it is the only urban state park. If that is the case then all rules for state parks should apply and carry would be ok there.

or

why not find a place with patio seeting and just plan an open carry dinner on the patio?

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Wow. I thought that White River State Park would be a good idea, too: 1) it IS urban, and 2) we DO have a LOT of members south of Indy, so this is a GREAT central location.

So I checked out the website to see what exactly White River State Park included, and whether there were any shelter-house type places where we could have a pitch-in picnic or something along those lines. (All I could remember was that the park included the zoo and gardens, but that was it.) The website indicates that the park also includes Victory Field, the Eiteljorg, the Indiana State Museum, Military Park, the Canal, and loads of other places that I thought were all separate. Reading that indicated to me, "Wow! This would be a GREAT location!"

So my next thought was: if we're hoping for 100 people, we should check into actually reserving a shelter or something to be sure we have the space to host a picnic for 100 or so people. I'm also thinking it would be nice to them to warn them (and the local police department) that we're planning an OC event to temper any MWG calls (it IS downtown Indy we're talking about here).

That thought is cost prohibitive.

Even if we choose one of the attendance-based locations (such as Military Park), and we are granted the NFP group rate, it would be $250. If we want to use the restroom facilities there, it's another $175 cleaning fee. If we don't use the restrooms there, we're responsible for acquiring and providing our own facilities of the port-o-let variety. On top of all that, the rental application requires proof of insurance for the event. Does anyone have any idea 1) how to get that and 2) how much it costs? (I don't.)

Just some food for thought, because we might run into at least some of those expenses anywhere we choose.

PS.. the website: White River State Park

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Downtown Indy would be a great location, we could get some media out there to cover the event.

If we got enough people to chip in the fees for the reservation (and cleaning) could be pretty reasonable on a per person basis.

I am not sure about the insurance though. I never heard of anything like that before.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Can we just do this in your back yard Pami?

I think parking would be a problem. ;) But I bet we wouldn't see the neighbor kids for a week at least afterward... Hmm... AND... Hamilton Towne Center is just down the road... Lots of parking, a few picnic tables. It's a Simon property, though.. :):

<snip>
    I am not sure about the insurance though. I never heard of anything like that before.

Yeah.. it was the insurance that threw me off.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    No idea on the insurance part. never heard of that either.

The additional bathroom fee is different as well. Not ot mention someone has to fork out a very hefty "daily damage deposit". Ouch.

It'd definitely be a great venue for the public and media but we'd need some big numbers to make it possible.

Top Bottom