• ...and so much more!
  • The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    FWIW, here is a link to the Michigan page over at OpenCarry.org:

Lansing Ponderosa Meet on Jan. 30th. - Michigan - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

Theer are 22 pages of posts going back and forth. It looks like around Page 6 they start to discuss what happened at the Lansing Ponderosa. I am not sure if it was this thread or another one, but the daughter of the restaurant owner chimed in and said that the manager on duty had called the LPD and asked if OC of an AR was legal. She is also reported as saying that the manager specifically requested that police do not come out. After LPD came out, much hilarity ensued.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    After LPD came out, much hilarity ensued.

it usualy always does when the cops show up. :):

i dont understand why the sgt even needed to come. all that happened was one of the officers on scene told him the situation and he proceeded to tell them that they were dumb, and then he told the legal gun owners his PERSONAL opinion, and then told them to leave once the sgt realized he looked stupid. a lot of unnessesary time forcing the legal citizens to stand in the cold could have been avoided with a phone call to the sgt by an officer on scene

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I think they wanted to make an example of them or come up with a charge. They didn't know these people knew their firearm laws...better than the law enforcement officers, it appears.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's one thing, trying to teach/inform people. It's another to be forceful, in trying to get your point across. You have to remember some people will never change their views, on certain issues. Maybe those people need to look up the word tactful!

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Im all about protecting our rights and I love to carry. If I were in that Ponderosa with my kids and someone walked in with a AR strapped to them, I would loose my appetite from the adrenaline rush. Like it or not, this is not good PR for us. I PERSONALLY believe in keeping a low profile. If you watch the news report from that incident, it is not very favorable for the guys carrying.
    I was in a restaurant with some buddies once and my friends piece became open when he took his jacket off and some guys freaked out at the next table. It nearly went to fists before the manager threw all of us out. It stirred up the whole restaurant. It just wasn't worth it.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    After watching this, I don't think Ponderosa asked them to leave due to the weapons they had one their belts. I think they were worried that the big guy was going to bankrupt them at the buffet.

ABCIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My opinion for the AR being too much was from the standpoint of the manager. He said he'd given them permission to come but didn't expect so many guns out in the open and then the "assault rifle". I can see where it could be disruptive to the other patrons of the restaurant and he had to make a decision.
    I don't agree with him saying it was okay, then booting them, but I am one of those that said the AR was too much. Someone ask why it was, and that's how I interpreted the video.

ABC

Last edited:

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I've read at least ten of you say that the AR15 was just too much. It was over the top. None of you, not a single one, have said why.

Here's why.

People naturally get freaked out by ANY unusual behavior. While carrying a handgun in a holster is somewhat unusual, most people can rationalize some reason that person is carrying (cop, security, INGO member, etc). Of course, if you behave or appear unusual in other ways, in addition to carrying, folks will be less likely to rationalize away whatever concern they might have.

The idea that you should be able to do, say, behave or appear in any way you want, regardless of how unusual, and have everyone accept you because its "your right" is both naive and immature. It's not going to happen. It is fundamentally little different than the behavior of attention seeking "gangsta" types that are regularly denigrated in this forum.

Most people, myself included, would struggle to come up with a reason why a person would walk into a restaurant with a rifle, especially a high-capacity rifle. It is too inconvenient to be a "round the town" personal defense tool. It is unusual in the extreme unless in a hunting area or adjacent to a gun range.

For that reason, it will naturally put people on edge. Think about it. You are with your family at Ponderosa and some dude walks in with an AR-15. If you claim this wouldn't put you on high alert, even as a gun-rights supporter, I call BS. If you're soccer mom who is generally scared of guns, and has her three kids with her, you're likely in total freak-out mode. If you think its your job to "educate" her by intentionally freaking her out, its more likely that you're the one who will get the education.

Now, plant this situation into the minds of our politicians. Lets take Mayor Ballard for example. Maybe he's just a RINO who doesn't appreciate gun-rights. Perhaps, however, he read about that dumb-*** in TN who decided to stroll down the state park jogging trail with an AK-47 "handgun" wearing cammo and he doesn't want to get blamed for an incident like that.

Rant about our "rights" all we want, I read the Heller decision and I am absolutely positive the 2nd amendment as interpreted by the Supreme Court won't inhibit laws against open carry or other more stringent restrictions.

Politicians are always looking for community "concerns" that they can address with new laws. It takes just a few people to go out of their way to intentionally freak people out to create a political issue that will restrict all of us.

That pisses me off, and it should **** all of us off who spend a lot of energy appealing for less restrictive gun laws. If we want to influence and educate, its by showing people that we're conscientious and responsible.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So, basically, all the anti-gunners speaking out against OC, want us to surrender our right to OC, so it won't be taken away.

What's the difference?

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    It's not illegal to walk into a restaurant with a running chain saw. What's the difference? C'mon.

This thread is about the wisdom of carrying an AR-15 into a restaurant, not about OC in a conservative and responsible manner.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It's not illegal to walk into a restaurant with a running chain saw. What's the difference? C'mon.

So, you aren't going to answer the question about why you are speaking out against carrying a firearm, except in a manner you approve of?

Are you really so foolish to think that if gun carrying gun control advocates succeed in helping the Brady Bunch eliminate one group of carriers, they won't come after you next? And succeed, since you've established the precedent that citizens can't be trusted.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Joe I thought you got bounced out of this play ground?

What business of yours is that?

You want to answer the question I asked? What is the difference between losing a right due to surrendering it, and having it taken away by gun control advocates, some of them working from within the cause?

Top Bottom