• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Is Indy Zoo owned by the city, or is it privately owned and operated? If is is owned by the city, they cannot make any rule regarding carrying a firearm.
    It is private.

From their website:
    The Indianapolis Zoo does not receive any direct public support and is dependent on the generosity of individual, corporate, foundation and estate gifts.

Their full annual report is online as well:
    http://www.indyzoo.com/SiteAssets/pdfs/AnnualReport2010.pdf

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Last time my family visited, we took in our own stroller filled with stuff. They didn't search us.

Granted, I wasn't licensed or carrying at that time, as it was several years ago.

amw575

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bloomington
    I don't open carry, personally I don't want to advertise anything. :): As Hammerhead stated, they don't do any searches there. I CC'd my sub-compact without any problems. Bought tickets at the gate, and walked right in. No troubles at all.

Lucas Oil on the other hand did do a light pat down when I was there a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't CC'ing there because I was able to park close enough that I felt safe enough with my tactical folder knife. Pat down was quick and not very thorough.

Thanks for the replies!

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    I am new to Indiana. Just moved here from Tennessee and I am wondering, now that I have my IN carry permit, is it OK to carry in the Indianapolis Zoo or this an off limits place?

Childrens Museum would also be a place I wonder about.

I work at the zoo...technically you are not allowed to carry on the site, they will ask you to return it to your car and that you can return after doing so. They can and will remove you from the premises if need be...but im sure many people get away with carrying on site nonetheless. Security even had to tell a police officer to get off grounds at one point(he was in plain clothes) for carrying his off duty gun. he said "how am i supposed to protect my family?" the security officers were like "thats what we're here for" and he looked at the tazer he was carrying and just shook his head and walked away

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I carry at the Ft. Wayne Childrens Zoo all the time...because you never know when animals will attack (2 and 4 legged)

thumbnail.aspx
    thumbnail.aspx

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Touch your hip all you want; what can they do about it? Unless it's a cop, you don't have to tell them you're carrying. My favorite response: "No, it's my colostomy bag and I don't appreciate you pointing it out in front of everyone, you insensitive clod!"

Actually...that is an excellent point......

Top Bottom