• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    This is turning out to be a pain in the rear. I have a milled Mak90. Mint rifle. It has the slant cut receiver. So I had an idea! It's the same slant cut as the double underfolder. So my plan is to send it to have the rear welded and I bought an original Norinco underfolder stock, and original Chinese wood grip. This would make for a kick butt rifle! Though I doubt I will ever find a Norinco folding bayonet and parts to put it on.

Here is where I am stuck. The welder wants the barreled action and stock parts sent to him. What does he mean by barreled action?

So far I am at:
    $60 parts
    $130 welder fees
    $30 shipping

And I have no idea who will refinsh it and how much that will be.

So my question is. Will it be worth the $1100+ I will have in it? We're talking a milled Norinco Underfolder. As of now it's just been sitting in my safe for 14 years becasue I hate thumbhole.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Unfortunately you would probably never be able to recover $1100 out of a rifle that most people would consider "bubba'd".

Granted if you found the folding bayo and installed it on the rifle, as well as had the milled receiver modified to accept the folding stock, you would probably have a one of a kind, and a rifle very much like what the Chinese used a long time ago. I have seen many pictures of their 56 with a milled receiver and underfolding bayo, although I can't remember seeing one with an underfolding stock.

If nothing else, you would still have a cool rifle without the bayo and something to play with while you searched to find that rare underfolding bayo front sight.

The barreled action is the stripped receiver with the barrel attached. He wants the trigger group removed and I would not be surprised if he didn't want the mag release removed as well. This is because as he welds up the rear of the receiver, he doesn't want to risk damaging any of the moving and removable parts of the rifle.

My 2 cents, if you want to have something that not many, if anybody has, go for it. If you are worried about resale, you might find someone who also doesn't care that it was made up and not factory original Norinco or Poly Tech, but for the most part I would figure never being able to resell it for what I had in it.

Decisions, decisions.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I wouldn't sell it. It's probably my best quailty rifle in 7.62. What is worrying me now is if I tear it down to the barreled action he wants. I will never get it back together. I think I will give this some more thought, maybe see what a gunsmith would charge to strip it and put it back together. It might add up to be too costly.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    If ya go that route just remember you are in fact sending him a firearm and has to go thru an FFL accordingly.

A barreled action is the receiver on an AK.

Add more $$$ to your above figures for that transfer

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Ummm, I don't believe you need to transfer a weapon when you send it to someone to be worked on. It should be the same as when you send a firearm back to a manufacturer for repairs. You ship it to them, they ship it back to you.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Ummm, I don't believe you need to transfer a weapon when you send it to someone to be worked on. It should be the same as when you send a firearm back to a manufacturer for repairs. You ship it to them, they ship it back to you.

Correct, assuming the person working on the gun (i.e. a gunsmith) has an FFL.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I wouldn't sell it. It's probably my best quailty rifle in 7.62. What is worrying me now is if I tear it down to the barreled action he wants. I will never get it back together. I think I will give this some more thought, maybe see what a gunsmith would charge to strip it and put it back together. It might add up to be too costly.

Tearing an AK down is about as simply as it gets in the firearm world. If you own a screwdriver for the grip, and maybe a punch / bullet / inkpen to push the trigger / hammer pins out, you should be good to go.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    About the only good gotcha could be the wire that retains the hammer and trigger pins, but if you look at how it is installed, and note how it is removed, you shouldn't have any major problems. If anything you can replace the wire with a plate from Redstar.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    another option would be to use an Ace block for a MAK then put a folding stock on it.

images

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    vitamink, the Ace block works great in a stamped receiver, but not sure they make one for the milled MAK-90 that has a round hole in the back. Nice idea for the "slant cut" version you show.:yesway::yesway:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You are correct and my apologies to the OP. I had made the assumption that the block, stock, and folder were all ACE. Apparently people have been fabbing up their own blocks to use ACE stocks. Its a great gun and a worthwhile project.

100_0502.jpg

makgalilg30058bh.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom